How To Replace The Water Filter On Your Refrigerator – Old And New Methods

The water filter on your refrigerator needs to be removed and replaced every 6 months. Your refrigerators water filter gets used daily and needs to be replaced with the specific filter your refrigerator manufacturer recommends. The modern new refrigerator models have excellent water filtration systems that provide ice through the ice dispenser and clean drinking water through the door. Refrigerator manufacturers recommended that you change your refrigerator water filter at least every six months and possibly every 4 months if the area you live in has hard water such as in Arizona or similar. Continually drinking the water and using the ice from your refrigerator with a dirty water filter can cause problems with the refrigerator and your health. So replace the filter on a regular basis.

how to replace a refrigerator water filter

HOW TO REPLACE A REFRIGERATOR WATER FILTER AND WHERE TO BUY THEM ONLINE

You have probably recently asked yourself, How do i change the water filter in my Frigidaire, Samsung, LG, Maytag, Whirlpool or GE refrigerator? Changing the water filter is very easy on most NEWER units. Many refrigerator makers have made it easy to remove and replace the filter yourself. Two of the most common procedures to replace the water filter cartridge is the water filter in the bottom grille of the refrigerator with a turn and pull out method, and the water filter in the grille that is removed by a push button method. These are the 2 easy methods and do not require moving the refrigerator out of place. However some older units and other refrigerator water filters are a bit different. Always look in your owners manual to find out where the filter is located on your refrigerator and follow the directions for removal.

If you cannot find the owners manual that came with your refrigerator and you are changing your water filter for the first time, then read on to find the most common area where your water filter will be located….

Modern Refrigerators – Most Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid, JennAir and Amana Refrigerators will have the water filter in the bottom grille of the refrigerator. Most GE Refrigerators will have the water filter on the inside of the refrigerator at the top right and toward the rear. Most Samsung and some newer Kitchen Aid Refrigerators will have the water filter in the side of the left door. Most LG Refrigerators will have the water filter located in the left side of the ceiling located behind the left door.

Older Style Refrigerators – Most old refrigerator models (manufactured before 2002) will have the old style water filter that is located behind the refrigerator itself. The water valve behind the refrigerator will need to be shut off on these old style refrigerators to change the filter. To change the filter on this type of refrigerator, gently slide the unit out, unplug the unit from power, turn off the water valve, remove and replace the water filter, turn water valve back on, check for leaks, plug refrigerator back into the power outlet, slide unit back in place, and you are done.

If you already have the part number for your water filter and need to order it, click the name of your refrigerator below to order online at the lowest price possible.

Find Your Replacement Refrigerator Water Filters For: Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter
Samsung Refrigerator Water FilterGE Refrigerator Water FilterMaytag Refrigerator Water Filter
LG Refrigerator Water FilterFrigidaire Refrigerator Water FilterKenmore Refrigerator Water Filter

Here are the many different kinds of methods to removing and replacing the water filter yourself:

refrigerator water filter replacement in bottom grill

How to remove the water filter located in the bottom grille of the refrigerator with the “turn lock” method – Locate the filter and turn the knob on the end of the filter to the left. Then simply pull the old filter out and throw it away. Insert the new water filter and turn the knob to the right to lock it into place. Write down the date you installed the new filter and replace it after 6 months of use. Finished!

push button refrigerator water filter

How to remove the water filter located in the bottom grille of the refrigerator with the “push button” method – This filter is located in the bottom front of the refrigerator grille. To remove this filter press the button right next to the filter. This filter will slide out so it is easy to grab. Take the cap off of the old filter and put it on the new filter. Next, install the new filter and push it in until you hear a clicking noise. Write down the date you installed the new filter and replace it after 6 months of use. Finished!

water filter change side of door refrigerator

How to remove the water filter on the front of the refrigerator compartment using the “slide out” method – Open the filter compartment on the front of the refrigerator and remove the filter. Discard the old filter. Next, slide the new filter into the compartment and back into place. Write down the date you installed the new filter and replace it after 6 months of use. Finished!

water filter replace inside refrigerator

How to remove the water filter located in the round plastic housing inside the refrigerator – For this filter type you may need a water filter wrench as this filter could be screwed on from the factory very tight. Once you get the housing unscrewed you can then remove the old filter and discard. Put the new filter inside the housing and screw the housing back on. Write down the date you installed the new filter and replace it after 6 months of use. Finished!

1 Dena October 31, 2016 at 11:56 am

I have a RPWF100 filter bottom left in front grill of refrigerator.
The fridge had been used in garage, ice and water not hooked up, when we moved it into the house and hooked up water, we had a puddle.
The outer case for the filter was busted (assuming it froze in garage) the majority of outer case came out with front piece that slides onto new filter.
However there is still the “nipple” area and very end of casing that I cannot get out of filter housing!
Curious if there was and “trade secrets” to getting it out?

2 Bob September 22, 2016 at 11:28 pm

I have an Amana fridge with a push button filter in the base grill. I pushed the button and removed the old filter. I took the cap off the old filter and put it on the new filter and inserted the new filter. All done, right? No, the water just barely comes out. After messing around with it for a while, I thought maybe the new filter was defective and put the old filter back in again. The water still just barely comes out. So, I put the new filter back in again. Same problem. Any ideas on what the problem is?

DIY Project Help Tips 3 DIY Project Help Tips September 22, 2016 at 11:54 pm

Bob,
Check this page for more information on New Refrigerator Filter Causes Problems.

4 Faye Shelton May 27, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Thanks for the help. I also went to Sears and bought another filter….worked great.

5 Faye May 26, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I was replacing my water filter and a white plastic piece fell off. Also I wanted to remove the filter again to see if I could tell where this piece goes but now the filter won’t budge. Any suggestions?

DIY Project Help Tips 6 DIY Project Help Tips May 27, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Faye,
The water filter is stuck in the fridge filter housing?
Have you tried pushing it inward and then turning counter clockwise?
Please give us the refrigerator model number and we can assist from there.

7 irish May 26, 2016 at 2:03 am

I have an older whirlpool refrigerator with ice and water dispensers. However my filter is not in the front where the grate is at the bottom of the frig…. there I see the line but I don’t see the filter. I bought the house recently so I have no idea how old it is, but looks old, water and ice still seam fine but I will need to replace. Anyone know where else besides under the frig or in the side of the door????

DIY Project Help Tips 8 DIY Project Help Tips May 27, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Irish,
If the water filter for your Whirlpool refrigerator is not located at the bottom, try looking behind the fridge as the water filter may be in-line with the water tubing at back.
It may be inside the door too, just depends on your model number fridge.

9 jerry May 4, 2016 at 4:16 am

Why are refrigerator water filters so darn expensive? I went to home depot and its like $120 for a 2 pack? Any advice on where to get good deals?

DIY Project Help Tips 10 DIY Project Help Tips May 4, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Jerry,
Search for the refrigerator water filters that you need for your specific refrigerator on Amazon. They are cheaper than Home Depot and Lowe’s and you can buy value packs and save even more.

11 Parker January 11, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Forgot to remove protective cap from new filter before inserting into refrigerator, The cap is stuck somewhere in the opening and is blocking new filter. Is there a suggestion on how to remove? Newer Whirlpool model

DIY Project Help Tips 12 DIY Project Help Tips January 13, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Parker,
Is there not a way to use a tool to pry the plastic cap out of the filter housing? Give it a shot without damaging the inside of the filter housing. Use a pointed piece of wood if available as that will not damage the inside of the housing. Use caution as if you damage the filter housing you will have to replace it.

13 Beverley ufkes June 9, 2015 at 4:11 pm

My old filter won’t budge, what do I do?

14 Patricia November 15, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I have a whirlpool side by side refrigerator. Someone told me after installing a new filter i need to take 5 gallons of water out of the dispenser before drinking. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks!!

15 Sheila April 9, 2017 at 6:45 pm

I have read that the dispenser simply needs to be purged before using again after a new filter has been installed.
I’ve read the amount to be between 1-3 gallons, but never 5g.
I will use a gallon once I can pry my used filter from its holder as it is stuck, most likely from mineral build-up.
Any suggestions short of calling a plumber in would be welcomed.

16 Fridge Filters September 10, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Very good post about how to change a refrigerator water filter. There is one common step that I would like to suggest. Many refrigerators have a change indicator light, which offers an easy way reminder when it’s time to replace the refrigerator filter. Each refrigerator is a bit different and generally the instructions are listed in the owner’s manual. If you do not have a hard copy of the manual often they can be found online from the manufactures website. Below I have listed instructions how to reset the filter reminder light for GE and Hotpoint brand of refrigerators that is not quite so obvious. Hope this helps some people and adds to the excellent post.

Reset GE and Hotpoint Refrigerator Filter Change Filter Light: For GE and Hotpoint refrigerators press and hold the reset water filter button on the dispenser for 3 seconds then release. If your system uses a color LED light, the light should have changed from red to green, indicating the filter reminder has been reset.

17 Charlie June 14, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I have a refrigerator which had the water filter in the back, so I guess it was an older model, however, I have recently purchased a reverse osmosis system after reading, and realizing what is actually in our water. After I had read about everything, I realized that many water filters cannot filter out most of the contaminants in the water, and ended up hooking my reverse osmosis system to my refrigerator as the water filter and it really wasn’t that hard. Many people don’t realize this is possible, even though they already have a reverse osmosis system, as one of my friends was surprised to see I had my system hooked up in this way. This is the best way to ensure your water is filtered properly, and you don’t have to worry about the expensive water filter changes for the refrigerator, as you get all the filters for a reverse osmosis system for the same price, and possibly cheaper.