Rooting allows complete access to the phones operating system to make changes to the file systems. In order to root the Galaxy S5 running on the latest Android 4.4.2 Kit Kat, users must flash the CF-Auto-Root file in the smartphone.
You will have to download the specific CF-Auto-Root package for your Galaxy S5 model.
If you do not know your model number, you can check by going to Settings > About device > Model number.
Here are the download links to S5 Auto Root packages:
S5 (SM-G900A) = AT&T MODEL (AS OF NOW NO ROOT METHOD AVAILABLE)
S5 (SM-G900L) = Korean (Download)
S5 (SM-G900M) = Middle East and South America (Download)
S5 (SM-G900RT) = US Cellular (Download)
S5 (SM-G900T) = T-Mobile United States (Download)
S5 (SM-G900P) = Sprint (Download)
S5 (SM-G900T1) = Metro PCS (Download)
S5 (SM-G900W8) = Canadian (Download)
S5 (SM-G900F) = International Snapdragon (Download)
S5 (SM-G900H) = International Exynos (Download)
S5 (SM-G900I) = Oceania (Download)
PLEASE NOTE: Users are recommended to back-up all data before rooting the device. The device should have at least 80 percent charge left on the battery. Samsung USB drivers must be installed on the computer with USB Debugging enabled on the device to transfer files between the phone and computer. Users should ensure they are using the correct root package for their device.
HOW TO ROOT S5:
- Download CF-Auto-Root package and Odin v3.09.
- Extract both programs to computer.
- Boot the Galaxy S5 in Download mode – press and hold down the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. (When warning screen is displayed then press the Volume Up button to enter Download mode)
- Run Odin3 as Administrator and then connect the Galaxy S5 to your computer with a USB cable. A message will say “Added!!” will appear in the Odin’s message box.
- Click on the AP button, and select the CF-Auto-Root file .tar.md5.
- Make sure the “Auto Reboot” and “F Reset Time” options are checked while “repartition” is unchecked.
- Click on the Start button in Odin to begin the process.
- After the process is complete, the Galaxy S5 will restart and a PASS message with background that is green will appear in the box at the top of Odin.