No Power To Outlets In One Room Or Wall – How To Troubleshoot

This question and answer page will help you to troubleshoot why there is no power going to outlets in one room or on one wall. Remember to always remove or disconnect power before troubleshooting electrical issues.

Question: The power outlets along one wall are no longer getting power to them. The outlets that stopped working are located in our kitchen. This problem is only happening on one wall not the complete room. The dining room and kitchen are side by side and separated by a wall with the outlets that are not working. The outlets on the dining room side wall are still working. So our issue is just one wall of outlets in our kitchen where we plug in all of our appliances is not working. We checked the breaker box in the garage and no circuit breakers have been tripped. There is no GFI reset button on the outlets to press. What can I do to troubleshoot and fix this?

No Power To Outlets In One Room Or Wall - How To Troubleshoot

Answer: The first thing to do is to unplug everything that is plugged into all the outlets that do not have power. Then reset the designated (and hopefully labeled) kitchen breaker in the breaker box by turning it off and then on again. Sometimes a breaker will look like it is not tripped but in reality it is. By turning it off and then back on, you are making sure that the breaker is on and supplying power to that region of your house. Check to see if you have power on that wall and if so then it was just a tripped breaker. If this did not solve your issue, see below for what to do next.

breaker box

If the breaker is on and the outlets are still not getting power on that wall, be sure that even if one of them is a GFI that you press the reset button. If there is no GFI reset button, then your issue may be that one outlet is damaged or has a loose wire. This could be causing the other outlets to also have no power. In simple terms, the outlets that are not working may be daisy chained. Think of it like the old Christmas lights. When one went out, they all went out. Your outlets may also be wired this way. You must determine which outlet is the first in the row to not be working. Most likely that outlet will be the one that has a loose wire or has become defective or possibly burned.

breaker keeps tripping

Newer USA outlets have an easier way to install the wires. These outlets save time when installing an outlet but sometimes the wires can come loose. These type of outlets are called back stab or stab-in outlets. If you have these type of outlets then you can check to see if possibly a wire has popped out. Turn off the breaker to the outlet before doing any type of electrical troubleshooting. Remove the 1 screw holding the wall plate on. Remove the 2 screws that hold the outlet in place. Pull out the outlet carefully and check to see if all wires are connected. If you find that the outlet has a loose wire, you can either push the wire back into the connector it came loose from or wire it to the screw connector so it does not pop out again.

backstab outlet - holes for wires

If you did find an outlet that had a wire come loose and you fixed it, reinstall the outlet and turn the breaker back on. Get a night light or something simple and plug it in and be sure it lights up. If so then check the rest of the outlets and they should all now be working properly. If you encounter a burned outlet, then it will need to be replaced. Remember to always turn off power before doing any electrical work.

Is your outlet not working? How to reset your GFCI outlets and circuit breaker

If none of the above has resolved your power outlet issue, then it may be best to call a professional electrician to be safe. You may have a bad breaker in the breaker box itself or another possibly dangerous wiring issue that should be handled by a professional.

electrical plug and outlet type chart

If you know of another safe and easy way to troubleshoot and fix an electrical outlet problem, please leave a comment below to assist our other readers.

1 Kari Madara March 3, 2017 at 11:24 am

In my son’s room there are two outlets on opposite walls.
One is working and the other one on the other side of the room is not.
When I go to take the outlet out all I need to do is turn the breaker off?
Will that remove the power on the outlet so that I can look at it?
I do not want to be electrocuted.

DIY Project Help Tips 2 DIY Project Help Tips March 6, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Kari Madara,
You most likely have one outlet that is faulty or it is disconnected.
Yes, flip the breaker to the complete room.
MAKE SURE THE POWER IS COMPLETELY TURNED OFF.
Then use a meter to be sure the power is off on the outlet you are going to remove.

Remove the outlet cover, then remove 1 or 2 screws that hold the actual outlet to the wall, there will be wires inserted into the back of the outlet, be sure they are connected, one may be loose or disconnected. If so reconnect and reinstall. Turn breaker back on and test.
If not, the outlet may be faulty and you can simply replace it by seeing how the old wires go into the faulty outlet. Do one wire at a time and wear gloves and use a screwdriver with a rubber handle to be extra safe.
Let us know how it goes. Please be safe.

3 RC December 7, 2016 at 2:24 am

I had one of this switched in my garage to all the outlet in there and outside. It’s tripped before and I’ve always reset it. But this time it kept re-tripping every time I reset it. Then after listening to your video I heard about water on the plug could make it trip. Which made me think that my outside plug has an extension cord hooked up to my outside cats heating pad and it’s been raining. So I wonder if water dripped on the cord female end of the plug and cause the short. I unplugged it and reset it. Behold no trip, so far.

4 Scott June 29, 2016 at 11:50 am

I had no power to six outlets. Tried all circuit breakers, they were ok. Tried to reset GFCI. Still no power. Back tracked to a working outlet close or next to the first non working outlet. It was in my case behind the fridge. Pulled the fridge out. Carefully took the cover off and gently twisted the outlet. Granted power was still on, so be careful. Checked the non working outlet and we had power. We then turned off power to the kitchen outlets. So you do have to know which circuit breaker cuts off power. We then tightened all connections on the fridge outlet and a couple of the non working outlets. Turned circuit breaker back on and we had power to all the outlets. It was just loose connections all along. I guess after 20 yrs things got loose.

5 Tony January 31, 2017 at 8:24 pm

So I found your comment very useful. I chose a slightly safer approach. After I found out which outlets were dead. I checked the connectors on close by outlets that still have electricity, I turned the power off when working on the outlets

6 Shirley mahon February 26, 2016 at 11:21 pm

There is no power in one room of the house even the main light don’t work, we put a meter on it it reads .10 so we changed the circuit breaker and changed it to a new one and no luck.

DIY Project Help Tips 7 DIY Project Help Tips February 29, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Shirley Mahon,
You may have bad wiring or a bad outlet. Further troubleshooting is needed.

8 Johnson September 14, 2015 at 10:38 pm

I like how you said, “The first thing to do is to unplug everything…”. Whenever I work on my wiring I shut the power off. I find that this keeps me safe from being electrified. Also, I wear thick leather gloves for added protection.

9 Gus July 16, 2015 at 7:52 pm

I didn’t know that turning off and on the breaker resets it. Must be a built in feature for all systems. This would really make things simple if you need to reset it. I will have to try this with mine later today.

10 DJ July 7, 2015 at 7:57 pm

The information about how to fix an outlet that had a loose wire will help me out a lot. I suspect that may be the problem with the outlet that isn’t working in my living room. It seems like I should try fixing the loose wire, then try reinstalling the outlet if that doesn’t work.