Need information to change or reset your garage door opener code? If your garage door is not opening because the code mysteriously reset or it is simply not working, we have a few tips to fix this yourself. If you feel the code to open your garage door or your garage remote code has been hacked or stolen then it’s time to change it. Most new garage door opening systems come with a keypad and remote control. The more accessories you have to open the garage door makes it easier for others to possibly access the items in your garage. Older garage doors are usually only operated by a remote and not a wall mounted keypad. On most of these garage door openers you will need to change the code by moving the switches by hand inside the remote control and the garage door opener (mounted to the garage ceiling) to change the code.
SECURITY NOTICE: You may want to change your garage door code from time to time for security reasons. Thieves use a device called a Garage Door Code Grabber that will allow them access to any garage. So change your code every now and then for security purposes. If you want to be notified if your garage door is opened, invest in a complete home security system that will alert you on your smartphone that your garage door or doors in your home have been opened.
Change Code on Garage Door Openers without a Wall Mounted Keypad
- Remove the cover from the garage door remote control to get to the small switches inside the remote.
- Reposition the switches inside the garage remote control to change the code.
- Replace the cover on the remote control. (Do this with all the different garage remote controls you have so all are the exact same)
- Gain access to the garage doors motor attached to the garage ceiling.
- Move the switches on the garage door motor unit to match the code you just set on your remote controls.
- Test to be sure the remote controls open your garage door.
- If the door does not open then recheck your switch positions to be sure they match.
Change Code on Garage Doors with a Keypad
- Access the garage doors motor unit located on the ceiling of your garage.
- There should be a “Learn” button on the side of the motor.
- Depress the button on the side of the motor and hold down.
- Let go of the button when the light next to it goes out. This will remove the old code from the garage door openers memory.
- Depress the button on the garage door motor once again until the light comes back on.
- Then go to the wall mounted keypad and type in the code you choose.
- While doing this watch the motor unit’s light, it should blink to indicate that the new code you have just entered has been accepted.
- Depress the learning button on the garage door motor again so that the light on the garage door motor illuminates once again.
- Press a button on your remote control.
- The motor unit light will blink to let you know the remote has been programmed with your new code.
- Repeat this to program your other remote controls.
How To Reset Your Garage Door Code EASY
If you need a new garage door wireless keypad replacement, the best selling, best reviewed keypad is here on Amazon with free shipping. It is the best option for replacing a broken wireless garage door keypad.
How to Program a Garage Door Remote & change battery – LiftMaster
If you need a new garage door remote replacement, the best selling, best reviewed remote control is here on Amazon with free shipping. It is the best option for replacing a broken garage door remote.
If you know of an easier way to program, reset, or change the code on a garage door opener, please leave a comment below to assist our other readers.