My Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine stops at the beginning of any mode of spin cycle. The washer starts to spin for about 2 to 5 seconds but then shuts off and the lid lock light will start flashing. I have tried running the Whirlpool washing machine in test mode to find the problem. During test mode the washer works thru the fill cycle and stops at the spin cycle. The lid locks but the shifter moves to the spin position. Once the washing machine gets to the spin cycle, it shuts down and the lid light will flash. I have found that the only way to unlock the lid and also stop the lid lock light from continuing to flash is to remove power to the washing machine for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Can you tell me what may be causing the NO SPIN and LID LOCK LIGHT FLASHING issue on my Whirlpool Cabrio Washing Machine and what parts I may need to replace?
The 2 parts that can cause the Washer Not Spinning and Lid Lock Light Flashing on your Whirlpool Washer are:
The ACTUATOR/SHIFTER and or the LID LOCK ASSEMBLY.
– Check both of these parts visually and with a meter if needed.
– Also check and reset all electrical wiring connections under the washer and behind the control panel.
– You may just have a simple loose wire connection and reconnecting the wire or wire harnesses will fix the issue.
If your Whirlpool Cabrio Washing Machine is not spinning and the lid lock light flashes or always begins flashing, you may need to replace the Actuator (Shifter) as it may be faulty by not communicating with the main board by not detecting tub movement during the spin portion. NOTE: The optical sensor will not sense the rotation if something is in the way. (The videos below will show where this is part is located in the washer and how to remove and replace)
You may also have an issue with the lid lock assembly. If the lid lock is defective it may not “Lock” the washer door and therefore will flash and not spin. The lid lock assembly switch may be electrically faulty or just simply loose. (The videos below will show where this is part is located in the washer and how to remove and replace)
How to Replace the ACTUATOR/SHIFTER in a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer.
Whirlpool Top Load Washer Replace Shift Actuator
How to Replace the LID LOCK ASSEMBLY on a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer.
Whirlpool Top-Load Washer Lid Lock Replacement
Whirlpool Washer Lid Lock Assembly Replacement
Below is an excerpt from a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer service manual…
– If the lid lock light is on, and the washer will not run, start, or spin…
Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes, and clear them. This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.
– When in diagnostics the codes are F7 E1, F7 E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION…
If after 15-20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control).
Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the transmission during the spin cycle.
– Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors. This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.
Whirlpool Vertical Modular Washer (VMW)
Tech Sheet, Diagnostic Mode, Fault Codes, and Mode Shifter
Need more help? Please leave a question below and we can help you get your Whirlpool Cabrio Washer working again.