Dishwasher Will Not Turn On – How To Fix

If your dishwasher won’t turn on or start, here are a few things to check yourself before calling a technician. The most common problems with a dishwasher not getting power or lights not turning on are listed below. You can follow the steps below to repair your dishwasher and get it working again. The issues below are listed in order of most probable causes starting at the top of the list.

dishwasher won't turn on

Note: The majority of dishwashers (whether Maytag, Kitchen Aid, Frigidaire, Kenmore, Whirlpool, and Bosch) work the same way. Using this guide to troubleshoot your dishwasher works for all dishwashers on the market today.

troubleshoot dishwasher no power

Dishwasher Getting Power?
If your dishwasher does not light up or is not getting power, check where the dishwasher plugs into the wall. Be sure it is plugged in. If the outlet the dishwasher plugs into is a GFI outlet, make sure it has not tripped. Reset the GFI if needed.  (To be sure the outlet is getting power you can unplug the dishwasher and plug something else in to be sure the outlet is getting power.) If the dishwasher is plugged in and the GFI has not tripped, then check the breaker on the wall and make sure it has not tripped and is in the on position.

Defective Door Switch?
The next thing that could be causing your dishwasher to not start could be the door switch. This door switch is also sometimes called a door lock or door interlock switch. This switch is a safety feature and makes it so the dishwasher will not run if the door is open. If your dishwasher won’t start, then it is possible this switch is bad. This switch is located inside the door panel. To determine if the door switch is bad, remove the control panel, locate the door switch, and test it for continuity.

Blown Thermal Fuse?
Another part in your dishwasher that could be causing it to not start could be the thermal fuse. This fuse is designed to blow if the dishwasher overheats. If this fuse blows, it will need to be removed and replaced to make your dishwasher work. Most dishwashers have the thermal fuse located in the control panel area. To determine if the thermal fuse is bad, remove the control panel, locate the fuse, and test it for continuity.

Broken Door Latch?
The part that holds your dishwasher door shut is called a door latch. 99% of the time this latch is made from plastic. If this latch becomes broken or cracked, it will prevent your door from closing properly. To determine if your door latch is bad, inspect your dishwasher door and be sure the latch is not broken.

Defective Main Control Board?
The control board in your dishwasher supplies power to all components. If your dishwasher won’t start, this could mean that the board is bad. If you have tested and confirmed working all the other steps above, then the control board in your dishwasher is most likely bad and replacing it would be a smart option at this point.

What to Do When the Dishwasher Won’t Start

Do you have other troubleshooting methods for a dishwasher that won”t start? Please lend a hand to all of the people that read this page seeking help and leave your troubleshooting method below. Thanks.

APPLIANCE REPLACEMENT PARTS CENTER
Appliance Replacement Parts Center Online
APPLIANCE PARTS FOR ALL BRANDS AND TYPES

1 Tom bussies March 11, 2017 at 3:36 pm

I have a Frigidaire professional series dishwasher.
I checked the electric circuit and plug and it has power.
I replaced the control board, still no lights on machine.
Hit start and nothing happens, completely dead, door latch closes tight.

DIY Project Help Tips 2 DIY Project Help Tips March 13, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Tom bussies,
Must be an internal wiring issue.
Is the control board GETTING power?
Check with a meter to be sure and then troubleshoot from there.

3 Lacey March 10, 2017 at 9:12 pm

I have a Whirlpool WDT710PAYB5 dishwasher. We had to turn the breaker off due to a kitchen project and the dishwasher was in mid-cycle. Now it won’t turn on…no lights, no power. However, we checked the power going TO the dishwasher and there IS power going to it…just nothing up top. I watched a ton of videos and Googled the issue and everything pointed me to replacing the thermal fuse. After searching and searching and then contacting Whirlpool, they said that this model doesn’t even have a thermal fuse!! UGH!! So what is wrong with it?! I really don’t want to pay a service tech to come check if I don’t have to, and also don’t want to spend a bunch of money on completely replacing the whole control panel. Please help if you can! 🙂

4 Jonny March 11, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Maybe when you reinstalled the dishwasher its top mounting stretched the case upwards a bit and the door striker is missing the switch and so is not activating? I had that issue and it only had to be off 1/8 inch to mess up.

5 bea February 4, 2017 at 9:11 pm

I have a new EdgeStar DWP61ES Dishwasher.
The power will not come on. I checked my power outlet and Fuses… everything is okay.
I got power but it does not turn on.

DIY Project Help Tips 6 DIY Project Help Tips February 8, 2017 at 10:19 pm

bea,
You get NO POWER to the Edgestar dishwasher at all?
If not you may have an issue with the power cord, door switch, or the control panel may not be connected (loose wire).

7 Chantal January 26, 2017 at 6:48 pm

I have a Hotpoint dishwasher and the push button to turn it on/off has been a little temperamental lately and now won’t switch on. Will a new button resolve this?

8 Derek storkel January 21, 2017 at 6:18 pm

I have a whirlpool dishwasher model DU930PWSQ0. All the lights come on. I have the water supply turned on. It won’t fill or run but when I instruct it to drain the pump will turn on. When I intially turn the unit on, I do hear what sounds like the inlet valve trying to work or at least there’s something trying to function immediately upon being turned on.

9 lyndsey December 19, 2016 at 8:58 am

I have a Bosch dishwasher that the program buttons seem to have all changed the 40 which should and did run for 72 mins now has 2 hours and they are all different.
Apart from this when I do put it on it doesn’t seem to actually start washing.
Lights and everything are all on just the program buttons all changed and won’t start washing.

10 susan December 7, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I have a Frigidaire dishwasher for a little over 2 years.
I hear 3 little beeps, found it’s coming from my dishwasher, model:FGID2474QF0A.
I had the door ajar by accident overnight.
I can’t find anywhere the code I’m seeing on the control panel: a little line on bottom CO.
Nothing is clogged in filters.

11 Mary November 15, 2016 at 7:24 am

Thanks, super helpful 🙂 fixed my dishwasher!

12 Hassan November 13, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Hey, I’ve had a dishwasher in my house for like 5 year. It’s never been used it’s just been there. But now I want to install it. So I read the instructions obviously. The drain is set up at required and water supply as well. The electrical was ran through the wall. It was set up to be a permanent one since it didn’t come with a plug. Yes I know I can get one myself but I had that wire through the wall n I used it. I set it up as required and when I was ready to start, nothing. The water entered but the only thing I could think of was the problem was what if the wire from the wall wasn’t connected to the panel but I thought about it and was thinking why they would do that???? Exactly they wouldn’t but idk what else it could be, any suggestion??

13 Natalie October 8, 2016 at 1:20 am

Thanks so much for this article, you’re a life saver! I was about to call a tech but all it was, was a tripped outlet! 🙂 (Bosch)

14 Sue September 25, 2016 at 10:21 am

I have a whirlpool dishwasher adp 952 model. The cycle lights go on but further nothing more goes on not even the start light. What can it be? Was working fine all the time.

15 Tammy September 12, 2016 at 1:38 am

Bosch dishwasher won’t turn on. Already tried replacing the door latch and on/off switch. Sometimes it will power on for just a second, but immediately stops. No LED lights on the time display or cycle type indicator. Last time it ran, it did complete its cycle.

16 David August 28, 2016 at 12:59 am

Dishwasher is Kenmore. The lights for the types of wash and dry do not work. The other lights for turbo wash and dry do. In other words all lights on left control panel do not work ones on the right do. Will not run. Have power through door switch, otherwise lights would not work but verified any ways. Any help?

17 Chris August 2, 2016 at 8:08 am

I have a GE Dishwasher GDT550HGD1BB, that I broke the console control panel. I purchased a replacement but it will not go on. Not only that the dishwasher continously beeps and the lock button flashes. I tried doing a reset but it will not reset. Can anyone tell me what could possibly be wrong before I call a technician?

DIY Project Help Tips 18 DIY Project Help Tips August 2, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Chris,
Can you tell us the part number of the Control Panel you purchased for your GE Dishwasher GDT550HGD1BB?
Is it the wrong one or you are not able to get it to install correctly even though it is the correct Panel?

19 Chris August 3, 2016 at 1:12 am

I will get that part number for you.
However, according to the place I purchased it from they said it was the correct part but I can not get it to install correctly even though it is the correct panel.

The other problem I am having is when I the light continuously blinks lock and it will not allow me to press the start button to reset it. Meaning I can push the button and hold it for the 3 seconds but it is not resetting the dishwasher. I have tried unplugging it, turning of the breaker, I even got underneath the dishwasher and unplugged it and it still will not reset. So I am not sure if because the control panel is not on correctly that it will not allow me to reset or what is going on. I don’t want to have to call a technician out if I don’t have to.

20 bob July 23, 2016 at 9:10 pm

If you have a Whirlpool dishwasher and the board is bad, don’t waste your time looking for a replacement. They are out there but they cost more than a NEW dishwasher (in my case anyway.) $185.00. Guess they don’t want you to repair when they can make more money if you are forced to replace. Sadly, I’m used to it. When they were analog, the only things that COMMONLY went bad were the selector switch or the timer. Both were an easy, economical fix. From a manufacturer’s standpoint that couldn’t be tolerated.

21 Phil July 5, 2016 at 10:18 pm

My dishwasher (jenn air) will not start unless I push hard near the top of the door. Once I do that then the lights will turn on and I can push the start button. If I just close the dishwasher no lights will appear and I cant get it to work unless I push hard on the door then the lights will appear and it will start.

22 hannah June 28, 2016 at 5:49 pm

I have a whirlpool 6th sense one touch and it was working fine, it then started beeping non stop so we turned it off and no there is no power to it, plug and fuse work fine.

DIY Project Help Tips 23 DIY Project Help Tips June 28, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Hannah,
If your Whirlpool dishwasher was beeping and you unplugged it, it may take some time to reset after plugging it back in.
Plug it back in, make sure you have power to the dishwasher, shut the door, give it about 10 minutes and wait, then press the power or start button and it should begin working.
If not let us know…. You may have a bad board or wiring to the dishwasher is loose or not connected properly.

24 Mandy June 4, 2016 at 7:30 pm

I have a Hoover dishwasher, which was coming to the end of a hot cycle when we noticed a burning sort of smell and then all of a sudden it turned it self of. Now there is water in the bottom and no power at all. What could it be please.

DIY Project Help Tips 25 DIY Project Help Tips June 7, 2016 at 12:42 am
26 Chad Carter May 24, 2016 at 10:34 pm

I have Bosch dishwasher model # SHV43P13UC/64. This washer keeps tripping the GFI when i turn it on. I noticed water sitting in the bottom of the tub so i cleaned it out and sucked up the remaing water. Now it will turn on but not fill with water. When i manually poor water in the machine and then try to start it trips the GFI. I have already took apart the water inlet valve and cleaned it out. Please help!

DIY Project Help Tips 27 DIY Project Help Tips May 25, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Chad Carter,
We would suspect you have a bad water inlet valve or drain pump that is causing your multiple issues.
First, try plugging the dishwasher into another non GFCI outlet, see what happens.
If it trips the main breaker, you have a faulty water inlet valve or pump.

28 Andrew Allan May 18, 2016 at 9:40 pm

I have a Whirlpool ADG8410BK, it is only 3 months old and will not light up at all, feels like there is no power however I have checked the fuse and the power supply, all of which are working. Do you have any suggestions? Incredibly frustrating with such a new machine!

DIY Project Help Tips 29 DIY Project Help Tips May 24, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Andrew Allan,
You may have a burnt or blown fuse (or burnt wiring from the fuse or elsewhere) in the control panel of your Whirlpool dishwasher.
Check with a meter to be sure.
You may also have a bad board. Have you checked for burnt marks or other issues? Loose wires?

30 CC May 5, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Thank you so much for the “hold the hold button 15 sections to reset” tip when the hold light flashes and then turns off.

My Whirlpool Model W1043101A is running!
You’ve helped me save time-in not having to search for a repair service any longer, and money- no service charges!

31 Maira June 29, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Second that, thank you! Mine is an Ariston, and holding the P button for 15 seconds worked:)

32 Janne April 21, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Kitchen Aid dishwasher. Model # KDTE404DSSO. It turns on approx and 30 secs goes off.

DIY Project Help Tips 33 DIY Project Help Tips April 22, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Janne,
Can you elaborate on what happens when your KitchenAid dishwasher turns off?
Does the complete panel go blank and it does not light up?
Does anything flash, beep, error code?
What happens during the 30 seconds it runs before it turns off?

34 Jüri April 5, 2016 at 12:40 am

My Beko D5520FW stopped in the middle of cycle and does nothing. Now if press the power button (door opened) the LED (for indicating power) goes on. If I close the door the led goes off. And it wont start. Latch seems to work normal and also micro switch. If I pull the door slightly I can hear micro switch (click). I opened the lock assembly and measured micro switch with multimeter – it looks working fine. Is the micro switch before or after main power (on/off) switch? Can this switch to be faulty? Any suggestions?

DIY Project Help Tips 35 DIY Project Help Tips April 5, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Juri,
The switch may be faulty on your Beko dishwasher. Can you test it with your multimeter… What did you find when testing? Possibly jump it with alligator clips to eliminate it out of the equation? Switch should be before main power as a safety precaution, however some dishwashers are wired using different methods.
You may have a control board issue. Have you visually checked it to be sure wires are connected and no burnt areas are visible?

36 Fareeha March 22, 2016 at 4:32 am

I have a Brada dishwasher which is not working after I opened the door 3 times after starting the cycle to place utensils inside. Water fills in a little but then stops working. I turned off the main switch and tried every option but it’s still not working. Please advise.

DIY Project Help Tips 37 DIY Project Help Tips March 22, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Fareeha,
Unplug the dishwasher for 15 minutes. Reapply power and let the dishwasher sit for awhile. Sometimes after opening the door many times while the dishwasher is running it will think there is a problem. Doing as we suggested should reset it. You have to be patient as sometimes the dishwasher will not respond, resetting it should fix your issue.

38 Helen August 2, 2016 at 9:20 pm

While running a cycle of dishes in my Whirlpool dishwasher from time to time, I noticed that when one of my children needed a glass they’d open the dishwasher and start it again. This last instance my son needed a cup and opened the dishwasher while it was in cycle and when he closed it back and attempted to start it again, it never started. When I noticed it, I tried to start it and none of the lights came on nor did the dishwasher start. Is there a way for me to reset my dishwasher?

39 Jessica March 6, 2016 at 1:07 am

Just wanted to say thank yo for this article. It helped us save money on a repair technician over something quite simple. Much appreciated!

40 Kevin March 5, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Frigidaire dishwasher. Power is on and drain pump works when I first start a cycle, but then no sounds coming from dishwasher. Timer still counts the cycle down, but cycle does not run/clean the dishes. Any suggestions?

41 beverly April 20, 2016 at 2:48 pm

I had the exact same issue with my Fridigaire dishwasher. I read somewhere that it could either be the circuit board inside the dishwasher or a poor connection from the breaker to the dishwasher. So at first I shut the breaker off to the dishwasher, but only for about half a sec, then flipped it back on. It did not help. So the next day I thought about it more, and flipped it off, and left it off for about 10 full seconds, and turned it back on. Now my dishwasher is cycling through properly as I type this!! I have no idea why that worked….can anyone here explain that?? Thanks.

42 David W. Goulet February 23, 2016 at 12:58 am

Whirlpool model # WDF310PAAB4. Hit start button. Select cycle light is blue and select options light is blue. 10 seconds later both lights turn off and dishwasher does not start. Why?

43 Jane February 20, 2016 at 6:19 am

I have a kitchenaid drawer dishwasher, which I love. Top drawer working perfectly, bottom drawer lights foe cycle work on the inside but when you close the drawer to,put the go button on the outside, nothing, they don’t light up and it won’t go?.

44 Lyle Brant February 19, 2016 at 7:24 pm

My Kenmore Elite wont drain. It’s not a problem with the drain being plugged. The drain cycle isn’t even starting. The lights are still on. Then eventually the machine will turn off. I think it has something to do with the door latch. But can’t figure out why the wash cycle works but not the drain.

45 Bo February 18, 2016 at 11:26 pm

I had this blinking light problem on a GE GDF520PGD2WW dishwasher where when you push the START button, the unit would not come on and after a few seconds the green light would start to blink.
Here’s what my problem was and is likely what is happening with many of these GE dishwashers.
Fortunately, the SOLUTION IS SIMPLE:
PROBLEM: The dishwasher door has a plastic strike that is shaped like a fin. When the door is shut, the strike (fin) depresses a switch on the dishwasher’s housing. The problem in my case is that the strike was not hitting the switch (attempting to strike below the switch) If you use a flashlight, it’s hard to tell but it is detectable. The reason it is not hitting the switch is because when the dishwasher was mounted to the underside of the counter top, the screws drew the top of the housing ever so slightly upward and caused the top of the unit to bow. Thus, the strike misses the switch by striking just below the switch. To test this, reset the unit by pressing and holding the START button for 3 seconds. While the door is open, use a knife to depress the switch on the housing of the unit (where the fin would normally strike the switch). Then press the START button. If the dishwasher comes on, then you know this is your problem. Remove the knife and the unit will stop (simulating a door open condition).

SOLUTION: Place a shim (perhaps 3/8″ thick or so) between the countertop and the top center of the housing (just above the strike plate switch). You goal is to force the top of the housing to push downward about an 1/8″ so that the door strike (the fin) will hit the switch when the door is closed. To wedge the shim into place, you’ll need a small crowbar or screwdriver to create the needed gap to slide the shim into place. Test it and once positioned where it works reliably, glue the shim into place (Elmers is fine).

The cost: $0 and 20 easy minutes of your time.

46 Ed February 18, 2016 at 9:16 pm

I have a similar but not exact same problem with a 2010 Kenmore dishwasher. The start button will light but immediately go out. If the breaker is recycled, the machine starts and works well…until the next time we try to start it. Then we have to reset the breaker again. Any ideas?

DIY Project Help Tips 47 DIY Project Help Tips February 18, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Ed,
It may be a breaker issue. The breaker may be bad and therefore shutting off your dishwasher. Try this to be sure… Use a heavy duty extension cord and connect the dishwasher to it. Then plug the dishwasher extension cord into another outlet ON A DIFFERENT BREAKER and run a wash cycle. This will be for testing purposes only. If the breaker does not reset, you know the issue is in the dishwasher. Further troubleshooting will be needed at that point. Let us know what you find, and if you need more assistance, please supply us with the model number of your Kenmore dishwasher.

48 chris February 17, 2016 at 1:44 am

We have a older (2009) Kenmore dishwasher

the following light up:

– steam sanitize
– china gentle – lights up the heated dry
– normal wash
– pots pans
– smart wash

the following do not light up:

– start
– cancel
– turbo zone
– delay hours
– heated dry (unless linked to the china gentle dry)
– Hi Temp
– quick rinse
– one hour wash

When the breaker for the dishwasher in the fuse panel is cycled the cancel light comes on and it sounds like the dishwasher is doing some sort of initial testing but then the cancel light goes out and subsequently the machine reverts to the lighting problems listed above.

Thoughts?

Chris

49 Melanie February 14, 2016 at 11:02 pm

I have a 2-3 year old Bosch dishwasher that’s been working fine. I put it on last night & it ran normally and looks like it got about half way through the cycle (the Finish tablet is half dissolved), then completely stopped. It looks like there is no power (no lights on etc). I’ve plugged another appliance into the power outlet & it’s definitely working, so not a power supply problem. Any ideas?

50 David L April 11, 2016 at 12:11 pm

I had the same issue with my Bosch, stopped mid cycle. Thought it was the main board, but the issue was much easier to fix. Apparently one of the wire nuts separated behind the kick plate, thus no power to the unit. Perhaps due to the vibrations over the last 10+ years. The electrician had not taped it, so this gave me the opportunity to do it correctly.

51 Jerri February 10, 2016 at 3:07 pm

I have a Maytag dishwasher model no. MDBH979AWS3 type 577-0. Last October it stopped working. We replaced both the control panel and keypad with new OEM parts. The dishwasher has been working properly, but the other day when I opened it to unload the dishes, I noticed the water had not drained. Also, it is completely dead. Nothing lights up on the keypad. I checked the GFI and circuit breaker and they are fine. Is there someway I can determine if one of the new parts is not working or do I need to have a repairman check it out. I’m not very technical. Thanks!

DIY Project Help Tips 52 DIY Project Help Tips February 10, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Jerri,
If your dishwasher is completely dead, check the fuse that is located behind the control panel. Check with a meter and be sure it is not blown. If the fuse is not the issue, then check the wire harnesses to be sure they are secure. If all seems okay, then you may have another bad board if the unit is 100% dead and no lights work.

53 Kenney November 30, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Was there an outcome to this? I replaced the main circuit board about a month ago and was working fine and now it stopped with water not drained and is completely out.

54 sarah February 8, 2016 at 5:34 pm

I’ve just replaced the lock of our Hotpoint dishwasher LFT228A as this had broken and now the electrics don’t seem to be working? Have checked the fuse and it isn’t this. Any thoughts?

DIY Project Help Tips 55 DIY Project Help Tips February 8, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Sarah,
Be sure you have the wire harnesses plugged in tight and correctly. Be sure where the electrical plug goes into the outlet that the small GFCI breaker is not reset. Check to be sure the control board is getting voltage, if not trace it back to find where the issue is coming from.

56 Sam February 3, 2016 at 11:49 pm

Thanks for prompt response. Is it possible to verify further the continuity on the control board before I go ahead and order it for replacement? Thanks

DIY Project Help Tips 57 DIY Project Help Tips February 5, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Sam,
Checking continuity on a circuit board is somewhat tedious but here is an article to assist you… How to test continuity on a circuit board.

58 Sam February 3, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I have a KitchenAide DW model # KUDI02CRBS2. 6 months back, it’s “normal duty” cycle button stops working so we started using the “Heavy duty” cycle option. Now recently, some of the controls had dim light. Only Cancel button was working. So I reset the main switch and waited but it didn’t fix the issue. Then I opened the control panel area and re-seated all the cables, ribbon cables etc. This did the trick and it worked for a day. Next day, none of the buttons were working. I completely took out the fuse and checked its continuity by selecting 200 ohm on the meter. It’s showing the resistance of “0.01” ohm. I then installed the fuse back in, turn up the power, and checked the voltage on both the terminals of the fuse, Each terminal shows 120V. Does it mean that the fuse is okay? Please help me identify if I need to replace the fuse or the control panel. Thanks in advance.

DIY Project Help Tips 59 DIY Project Help Tips February 3, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Sam,
Sounds as if the fuse is not blown if you are getting 120V. The control board is most likely your specific fault on your dishwasher. Do some further troubleshooting to be absolute sure it is the control board, but we would guess that is the cause of the issue.

60 Patricia schat February 2, 2016 at 1:25 am

Our fridgedire lights won’t come on, but it sounds like it is running but no water will come in. Reset, lights working now, but water isn’t filling

DIY Project Help Tips 61 DIY Project Help Tips February 2, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Patricia schat,
Check the water valve that supplies water to the dishwasher. Make sure it is fully open. Next check the water line to the dishwasher to be sure it is not kinked or bent. Then check the water inlet valve on the dishwasher itself for a blockage or possibly not getting power and the valve is not opening.

62 Chris January 26, 2016 at 11:31 am

My Hotpoint BFI620 dishwasher has developed a fault. Sometimes it works normally, sometimes it switches on but doesn’t draw water and sometimes it runs a cycle but doesn’t switch off (water drains and unit cools but still running hours later). Water inlet seems fine, pump clear, filters clear and draining OK. With it being intermittent I’m thinking electrics. Any thoughts?

DIY Project Help Tips 63 DIY Project Help Tips January 26, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Chris,
It sounds like the control module on your Hotpoint BFI620 dishwasher is not operational at all times. Consider replacing it after further troubleshooting. Here is the control module for Hotpoint BFI620 dishwasher.

64 Gail January 23, 2016 at 11:35 pm

My brand new just unwrapped Haier DWL3525DBWW dishwasher will not turn on. Pots and Pans light flashes 3 times…. help

DIY Project Help Tips 65 DIY Project Help Tips January 25, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Gail,
Your Haier dishwasher may be “locked”.
To turn off the Lock…
Press and hold Heated Dry button for 3 seconds. The light turns off.

66 terry January 18, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Whirlpool dishwasher. Some buttons work 4 of them like drain… but the other does not specifically the start button. Any suggestions?

DIY Project Help Tips 67 DIY Project Help Tips January 18, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Terry,
The keypad or the control board on your Whirlpool Dishwasher is bad. If the buttons are not working, you will need to remove the panel and check to see which part is bad in the panel.

68 rob January 11, 2016 at 1:36 am

LG dishwasher has power but will not start, I have replaced the door handle and the fan unit but no luck. The start button beeps twice really fast when you push it and won’t start. Help or advice please. Thank you.

DIY Project Help Tips 69 DIY Project Help Tips January 11, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Rob,
Possibly a micro switch? Replace the micro switch. Remove all screws in the door panel, remove the latch mechanism, you will see the retaining lugs for the switch. Let us know what you find.

70 Edith December 22, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I try to find a thermal fuse for my dishwasher. The model is GE PDWT580V00SS. I can find a lot of website with a thermal fuse for Kenmore, Kitchenaid or other, but not for GE. All thermal fuse for dishwasher is it the same? Can I take a thermal fuse for Kenmore and install it on my GE dishwasher? Otherwise, where can I find the good thermal fuse?

DIY Project Help Tips 71 DIY Project Help Tips December 22, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Edith,
The thermal fuse on your dishwasher may be a part of the control board. What is happening to your dishwasher? It will not power on? Here is the schematic and parts list for your GE PDWT580V00SS Dishwasher.

72 Ralph December 31, 2015 at 8:15 pm

I have the same issue with the thermal fuse. For some reason my dishwasher is overheating ever so often. Then the thermal fuse blows and I have no power to the dishwasher. Do you know what could be causing the dishwasher to overheat every so often? The first thermal fuse I changed lasted a week. Second thermal fuse I changed lasted a month. I even changed the harness that the thermal fuse is attached to. The underlying issue is why is my Kichenaid dishwasher overheating randomly and not overheating all the time? Thanks

DIY Project Help Tips 73 DIY Project Help Tips January 6, 2016 at 12:46 am

Ralph,
It sounds like you may have a faulty pressure switch on your Kitchenaid Dishwasher. If the pressure switch is bad, this will cause too much heat and can and will blow the thermal fuse. Check the pressure switch and replace if needed.
Concerning the fuse… You have to replace the wires that come in the Thermal fuse kit to permanently fix the fuse from going out constantly.

74 Geralyn December 21, 2015 at 10:44 pm

I have a Maytag dishwasher and it has been working with no problems. Today I got up and turned it on and nothing happens. I need your help.

DIY Project Help Tips 75 DIY Project Help Tips December 21, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Geralyn,
Is the front panel of your Maytag dishwasher getting any power whatsoever? Lights on? If not, check plug, GFCI outlet, and breaker. Open and close door to see if door latch just needed to be clicked.

76 sherri December 17, 2015 at 10:57 pm

I have a Bosch dishwasher model SHE3AR56UC/07. Lights come on (clean and auto wash) when hitting on/off button. When I hit start it will not cycle. I replaced the door latch on the door itself, the lock is metal did not replace it. Even after replacing latch it will not cycle nor can I get the wash type to change from auto, heavy, normal, or half load. When replaced the latch I saw no signs of burnt wires or damage to the control board. Any suggestions?

DIY Project Help Tips 77 DIY Project Help Tips December 18, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Sherri,
Have you tried to reset the dishwasher? If you press start and on/off buttons at same time, will it reset? If the display settings on your Bosch dishwasher will not switch to the wash cycle or respond to the buttons you press, most likely either the control pad or control board are bad or have loose wiring. It will have to be opened up and checked to be sure the wires are secure the control board will need to be checked visually for burns or melted components.

78 sherri December 24, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Checked control board, looked for lose wires. Didn’t see anything. Tried to reset but would not do so.

DIY Project Help Tips 79 DIY Project Help Tips December 24, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Sherri,
If all electrical parts and wiring in your dishwasher have been checked, your control board may be bad. Have it tested to be sure.

80 Karl December 17, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Thanks for all your help but i think i might need to call in a pro at this point as i would be unsure where to even start. Cheers again Karl.

81 Karl December 17, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Hi, i couldnt locate the fuse but could see what i think is the control board. The wires are all connected, no signs of burning or melting. The model i own seems quiet different to ones that i have seen on the web with demos on how to repair. Do you know this model?? I took the whole front of to see what i could but its all very neat and well packaged, hard to see any problems. My head is fried lol if that helps. Cheers again.

DIY Project Help Tips 82 DIY Project Help Tips December 17, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Karl,
The board could be bad even if it looks to be in perfect condition. Be sure that the control panel is getting power. If you have a meter, check to be absolute sure the board and panel area is getting the proper voltage. You may also want to recheck all the wiring if the dishwasher cord and plug got fried in water. Be sure it is not a simple wiring issue somewhere in the dishwasher before you replace an expensive control board. To troubleshoot the wiring and power issue, start from the power source and work your way up.

83 Karl December 17, 2015 at 11:06 am

Hi, yesterday my Bosch dishwasher SMS40C12GB made 2 large electrical crackling noises before blowing the fuse. When i pulled it out i found that it had been leaking from the hose for some time, the plug had got wet and burnt out!! I replaced the hose, and fitted a new power cable as it had burnt the earth cable out. But still no power do you think it has burnt the whole circuit?? Need help.

DIY Project Help Tips 84 DIY Project Help Tips December 17, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Karl,
If the plug and cord got fried from getting wet, this may have fried the control board in the dishwasher. Can you open the dishwasher panel up and have a look at the control board? There is a fuse in the panel area and this may have fried also. Have a look inside the panel as you may find an obvious sign of damage.

85 karl December 17, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Hi I opened the front panel and can’t see any obvious signs of damage?

DIY Project Help Tips 86 DIY Project Help Tips December 17, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Karl,
Did you open the front panel so you are able to visually check the control board and fuse? Are the wire harnesses connected? Burned? Melted? Board is not fried? Fuse is not blown? Anything?

87 Jasper December 16, 2015 at 6:48 pm

How do you know if it is a problem with a fuse or if it is a problem with a whole control board?

DIY Project Help Tips 88 DIY Project Help Tips December 16, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Jasper,
You can find out if your dishwasher will not start by testing the fuse with a meter first. If the fuse is bad then replace the fuse. If the fuse is good, then you may have a control board issue. Usually you will see a burn or scorch mark on the control board, but it may not be that obvious. If you have ruled out EVERYTHING else that could be causing your dishwasher to not start, and the control board is the last probable part, then replace the whole control board.

89 Maria Chiara December 2, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I have problems with my Bosch dishwasher (SMV50E00GB). It is on but doesn’t work. In addition, the cleaning display is flashing, I tried to reset the appliance, but it doesn’t work, it is still flashing.
I don’t know if the two things are linked. Can you help me?

DIY Project Help Tips 90 DIY Project Help Tips December 2, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Maria Chiara,
Is there a certain pattern of the lights flashing on your Bosch dishwasher? Do the lights blink a certain number of times, then pause, and flash again? Can you count the number of flashes between the pause? If there is no pattern and the dishwasher just flashes, try unplugging the dishwasher for 5 minutes and then plug back in to see if that clears it. If not try holding the cleaning button that is flashing for 15 seconds to reset.

91 Dimis November 26, 2015 at 1:35 pm

My HOOVER HLSI 500GT-S dishwasher is not switching on. I’ve verified electricity connection – is ok.
When I presses a power button nothing happens, panel is switched off.
And there is water at the dishwasher bottom from last cycle.
At last cycle dishwasher had worked a little bit more noisy than usual.
I’m also verified sink there was hairs with leavings. Maybe it was the reason of malfunction.

DIY Project Help Tips 92 DIY Project Help Tips December 1, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Dimis,
If there is no power, have you made sure it is plugged in and the GFCI outlet is not tripped? If it IS getting power, try unplugging it to reset if the front panel does not get power. If you still are not getting power to the front panel of the dishwasher, you may have a bad door switch, control board, or the control panel fuse has blown. Check with a meter to be sure.

93 Dimis December 19, 2015 at 1:50 am

Thank you for help!
The problem was with control panel fuse. And also a relay does not switch to water heating.

94 Holt November 25, 2015 at 8:19 pm

I do building maintenance and we have 100s of frigidaire dishwashers. I have run into a problem with many of them. Tenants call because there is no power to the dishwasher. I show up open the bottom to test for 120volts ans it has it. I then disconnect the positive wire, reconnect and it runs fine. Our appliance co and warranty co all say they have never heard of such an issue but I have done this dozens of times. It has not been associated with power outages or breaker trips. Anybody know what could be the cause? Thanks

95 Todd December 11, 2015 at 4:23 pm

We had the same issue with our Dishwasher. I thought maybe it was the control lock button being pressed or tripped somehow. It worked fine for a while, then it seems like there is no power getting to it. Works after I cut power to it for 20 secs or so. Thought there may be a safety mechanism if it heats up or a gfic built in as it is direct wired. If you ever find out what is happening let me know.

96 Lou November 22, 2015 at 9:42 pm

I have a GE dishwasher with hidden controls model GLDT696TSS the power light stays on and will not go off the other buttons on the control pad do nothing now. I unplugged it for 30 minutes plugged it back in and the power light comes on and nothing else works can anyone help me out on this?

DIY Project Help Tips 97 DIY Project Help Tips December 1, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Lou,
You may have an issue with the control board. If the power light lights up but no other buttons work, you need to either replace the board or the keypad. You will have to take it apart first to be sure.

98 Francesca October 24, 2015 at 7:27 pm

My GDT550HGD1BB which is a GE dishwasher will not turn on. I have checked the fuse box and there is power to the unit. I have no lights either on the control panel even after I have pressed reset. What could be the issue.

DIY Project Help Tips 99 DIY Project Help Tips October 25, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Francesca,
Have you checked to be sure your dishwasher is not plugged into a GFCI outlet and the outlet is tripped? If the outlet is okay and the unit IS getting power, there may be an issue inside the control panel. Possibly a bad wire harness, blown fuse, or control board issue.

100 Chris October 30, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Try turning off the breaker switch for 2 minutes and then turn it back on. Worked for me with different dishwasher but I am guessing they are all similarly designed.

101 John October 24, 2015 at 1:51 pm

I’m having the same issue as Amanda. Type of wash buttons light up but the Start and timer buttons don’t start the machine and don’t light up. Cancel works and pressing it twice for drain starts draining.

DIY Project Help Tips 102 DIY Project Help Tips October 24, 2015 at 5:35 pm

John,
You may have an issue with the control board. Open up the panel to get to the control board and visually inspect for obvious signs of burn or scorch marks. A wiring harness inside the panel may also be damaged causing your issue. You could also have a door switch issue.

103 Amanda October 6, 2015 at 1:36 am

Dishwasher is Kenmore. The lights for the types of wash and dry are working but the start and even timer is not. I can hear it click so the door is locked. It worked fine yesterday!

DIY Project Help Tips 104 DIY Project Help Tips October 6, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Amanda,
Is the dishwasher operating normally EXCEPT for the lights? Are you saying the timer is not working therefore the dishwasher is not operating? Please supply model number and a detailed description of your dishwasher problem.

105 don freedman October 5, 2015 at 1:56 pm

My KitchenAid KUDC10FXSS2 “beeps” when I close it (which tells me, I think, that it has power going to it) but none of the lights work and will not wash. I checked the fuse box, no problem there. Any thoughts?

DIY Project Help Tips 106 DIY Project Help Tips October 6, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Don Freedman,
If your KitchedAid dishwasher beeps when closing it, but no lights work and it won’t wash, you may have a bad thermal fuse, wiring issue, or control board. The fuse is near the display. Unplug the dishwasher, open the panel and check the fuse and internal components to be sure the wiring is secure. Here is the control panel diagram with parts list for KitchenAid dishwasher.

107 Joy Hamann September 20, 2015 at 11:20 am

Thanks, the Bosch model number is 9000 100 975 (8506) – I think! that is the only number on the owner’s manual I can see. Have cleaned out the inside filters, can’t find anything that is blocking, cleaned the inlet filer, checked the inlet pipe – pipe in not blocked but water doesn’t go through to machine. Checked outlet pipe but can’t see anything. I was going to remove the pump cover to check if there is anything blocking there but do not have a Torx T20 to remove the cover. I have a sneaking feeling there could be a piece of glass that slipped through, but need to first remove the cover when I get the appropriate tool. My hubby suggested we leave it and let the repairman see to it, but I don’t want to spend R450.00 for a call-out until I have done everything I can myself.

DIY Project Help Tips 108 DIY Project Help Tips September 21, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Joy,
Yes, if you have checked mostly everything to find the issue on your Bosch dishwasher, then yes you need the proper Torx driver to remove the cover and remove any debris that may be blocking or clogging it.

109 Joy Hamann September 18, 2015 at 8:02 am

Turned my Bosch dishwasher on when I went to bed and this morning when I got up it was still running! It did not complete its cycle – the two red display lights were on – “Check Water Supply” and “Program Sequence” display. The dishes had been washed so there was water going through but it just kept running. Set the reset button and tried again, but again both lights came on. Checked my appliance booklet, but cannot find an answer.

DIY Project Help Tips 110 DIY Project Help Tips September 18, 2015 at 9:55 am

Joy Hamann,
You may have something stuck in the water pump or the drain system including hoses may be clogged. Clean out the inside of the dishwasher making sure there is nothing blocking the bottom where the water drains. Usually the CHECK WATER SUPPLY means something is clogged or jammed so the dishwasher will get confused and fill and drain over and over. Can we please have your Bosch dishwasher model number so we can assist with the most probable solution?

111 vicky September 3, 2015 at 7:17 am

Frigidaire gallery dishwasher is only two years old. Only used handful of times. It won’t start or let me press any button at all, the light is on, so i see it has power, the light of hold to lock is on. But i can’t do anything with it. please help

DIY Project Help Tips 112 DIY Project Help Tips September 3, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Vicky,
Unplug the dishwasher for one minute. Plug back in and see if that clears the issue.

113 Nick August 28, 2015 at 2:38 am

My Frigidaire dishwasher Model # FGID2474QFOA is only a year old and the lights to set the dishwasher will not come on nor will the dishwasher start Any Help is appreciated.

DIY Project Help Tips 114 DIY Project Help Tips August 28, 2015 at 5:34 am

Nick,
Check that the dishwasher is not plugged into a TRIPPED GFI outlet. Also check to see if the fuse on the control panel has blown.

115 David MacLeod August 26, 2015 at 3:17 pm

My Kenmore Dishwasher W10195047 (made by Whirlpool) will not turn on. For some insight, a wire came off the fill valve to which I attached haphazardly, when dishwasher came to the fill cycle it stopped and the lights went out on the panel. I tested the door switch (2. ohms) thermal fuse (2.0 ohms) overfill control switch (3 ohms) which all indicate well. When plugged in, the wires to thermal fuse is not powered but a diode on the circuit board shows that it is getting power. Any suggestions would be appreciated. David

DIY Project Help Tips 116 DIY Project Help Tips August 26, 2015 at 5:53 pm

David,
The wiring on the fill valve shorted something out. Trace wires back from thermal fuse and that should be your issue area. It is also possible an area of the control panel may be faulty. Troubleshoot as needed.

117 Patrick Carley August 25, 2015 at 7:26 pm

All the lights light up on my dishwasher but the thing doesn’t turn on at all.

DIY Project Help Tips 118 DIY Project Help Tips August 25, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Patrick,
What brand dishwasher do you have and what is the model number?
You could have a bad control panel or fuse.

119 Molly March 2, 2015 at 2:05 am

Check if there is a wall switch connected to the dishwasher that is in the OFF position. This tip probably won’t be helpful to someone who suddenly has this problem in a house they’ve lived in for a long time. However, I had this problem in a house I recently purchased and it took me a long time to discover the really easy solution. I had never heard of a wall switch for a dishwasher, but it is apparently code in some areas.

120 Josh November 2, 2015 at 6:45 am

Thank you! I was trying to figure this dishwasher out, because it wouldn’t power up at all. Checked all the switches in the kitchen, and voila! It’s a really stupid idea to have a dishwasher on a switch.