Do you have a television that will not change channels? The remote isn’t responding and is stuck so you can’t change the channel? Get some expert tips to fix the most common problems with televisions and remotes and what to do when your TV won’t change channels.
There are different reasons and procedures if you are trying to control a cable box, SAT box, or just trying to control the TV channel function on your television.
Television Remote Control Cannot Change The Channel
First things first, does the TV change channels using the buttons on the TV but does not change using the remote control? If so, there is an issue with the TV remote control.
If your TV remote control isn’t changing the channels on your television, try these solutions:
Check that the batteries in the remote control are not low or dead. If the batteries are low, the remote control may not change the channels on your TV.
If you have changed the batteries and the remote still does not change the channels on the TV, try pressing the “Function” button (or similar) on your TV remote control. You may have changed the function to which component you are attempting to control.
TV Remote FIXED – Not Working or Buttons not Working
Cable TV Cannot Change The Channel
If your cable TV remote control won’t change the channels on your cable box, try one of these solutions:
- Ensure that the cable remote control batteries are fresh and inserted correctly.
- Be sure that your TV is on and set to the input for your cable box.
- If you have a universal TV remote, try reprogramming it to your cable box. Find Cable Remote Codes Here
- Point the cable TV remote control at your cable box and press firmly on the remote control buttons.
- Unplug your TV and the cable box from power, wait for 60 seconds, then reconnect to power to reset the TV and the cable box.
- Call your cable company if these methods don’t work.
Satellite TV Cannot Change The Channel
If your Satellite TV remote control isn’t changing the channels on your Satellite box, try these solutions:
- Make sure that the batteries are new and correctly inserted into the satellite remote control.
- Be sure to point the satellite TV remote control at your satellite box when pressing the buttons.
- If you have a universal TV remote, try reprogramming it to your satellite box. Find SAT Remote Codes Here
- Unplug your TV and the satellite box from power, wait for 1 minute, then reconnect to power to reset both the TV and the satellite box.
- If nothing works, contact your Satellite TV service for assistance.
Roku TV Cannot Change The Channel
- Batteries may be dead. Install new batteries into the Roku remote control.
- If you’re having trouble switching the channels on your Roku TV, performing a system restart can help to fix any minor issues and and reset the TV. Try system restarting the Roku TV to try a reset.
- Go into the menu, go to Settings > System > Power > System Restart. This procedure will restart your Roku TV.
If your remote control does not work to change the channels on your TV, SAT, Roku, or Cable box, the remote control may be faulty. Contact your Cable or SAT company to ask for a replacement. If the TV remote control is the problem, you can try to search online for the same one using the model number. If you cannot find the exact match to your TV remote control, there are many different universal remote controls that can be programmed to work with any TV.
Need help with your TV not changing channels? Please leave a comment below and we can help.