GE Dishwasher Error Codes – Electronic Models – How To Diagnose Fault Codes?

GE dishwasher displaying an error code? Newer style GE dishwashers have built in diagnostic systems. If your dishwasher detects a fault or error in the system, it will show an error or fault code. The error code will display where the usual numbers are on the display screen. When an error code is displayed, your dishwasher is telling you a specific fault. You can also search YouTube for GE dishwasher fix, or get advice from GE for troubleshooting your GE dishwasher when your GE dishwasher is showing an error code or not working properly. See below for the error codes your GE dishwasher may show and how to clear them.

GE Dishwasher Error CodesGE Dishwasher Error Codes

GE Dishwasher Error Code PF
Error Condition = Power Fail
Repair or Check = Power fail to the dishwasher. Power to your home may have gone out. Restart the dishwasher and try a wash cycle.

GE Dishwasher Error Code C1
Error Condition = Draining Time Has Gone Past 2 Minutes
Replacement Parts = Drain Hose and/or Drain Pump

GE Dishwasher Error Code C2
Error Condition = Draining Time Has Gone Past 7 Minutes
Repair or Check = Remove any clogs from the sinks drain. Remove power to the dishwasher. Remove clogs from the dishwasher’s draining hose. Be sure the draining hose is not damaged and if so replace it with new. Examine the drain pump for any blockage. Clear any blockage if found. If you find the drain pump to be damaged then replace it with new. Press RESET to stop the beep.
Replacement Parts = Drain Hose and/or Drain Pump

GE Dishwasher Error Code C3
Error Condition = Dishwasher Will Not Drain
Replacement Parts = Drain Hose and/or Drain Pump

GE Dishwasher Error Code C4
Error Condition = Dishwasher Has Over Filled
Repair or Check = Cancel the wash cycle. If the dishwasher will not drain after cancelling… Troubleshoot using the C3 error code above. If the dishwasher does drain after cancelling the wash cycle then check for somethign lodged underneath the overfill float. If nothing is lodged under the overfill float then remove power to the dishwasher and examine the overfill float switch for proper operation. If the overfill float switch is damaged then replace it with new.
Replacement Parts = Drain Pump and/or Drain Hose and/or Overfill Float Switch

GE Dishwasher Error Code C5
Error Condition = Dishwasher Is Not Filled With Enough Water (Drain Time Is Short)
Repair or Check = Be sure the water supply valve to the dishwasher is completely open. Be sure the overfill float switch is not stuck in the up position as this will prevent the dishwasher from filling with water. Remove the dishwasher from power and turn off the water supply valve. Remove the water fill line and check the water inlet valve. If the inlet screen is blocked or has clogs then replace the water inlet valve as only cleaning the screens is not enough and can cause flooding. Check the wiring harness on the water inlet valve to be sure there are no loose wires. If you find that the water inlet valve does not open when power is applied then replace it.
Replacement Parts = Overfill Float Switch and/or Water Inlet Valve

GE Dishwasher Error Code C6
Error Condition = The Water Temperature Is Too Low (Water Not Hot Enough)
Repair or Check = Turn the hot water on for the sink and run for 2 minutes. If the temperature of the water is under 120F then you may need to adjust the water heater thermostst. If the water supply to the dishwasher is over 120F then the temp sensor or electronic control board may be defective.
Replacement Parts = Water Temperature Sensor and/or Electronic Control Board

GE Dishwasher Error Code C7
Error Condition = Water Temp Sensor Faulty
Repair or Check = Remove power to the dishwasher for 5 minutes. Removing power is to try and reset the electronic control board. Plug the dishwasher back into power and see if the error code C7 reappears. If so, remove power to the dishwasher and check for any loose wire connections on the water temp sensor. If the wiring harness is secure then replace the water temp sensor. If the error comes back then replace the electronic control board.
Replacement Parts = Water Temperature Sensor and/or Electronic Control Board

GE Dishwasher Error Code C8
Error Condition = Detergent Dispenser Cover Blocked
Repair or Check = Remove what is blocking the dispenser cover. Shut the dispenser cover and restart a wash cycle on the dishwasher. After 20-30 seconds into the wash cycle check to see if the cover opened. If the detergent dispenser cover will not open as it should or the detergent dispenser itself is broken or has damage then remove and replace it.
Replacement Parts = Detergent Dispenser Assembly

CUP OPEN
The detergent cup has not been closed
Add detergent and latch the cup. When the problem occurs, the cycle will not start. You can override this by pressing the start pad again without opening the door.

LEAK DETECTED
Possible leak is detected
The cycle will be cancelled on models with leak detection.

NOTE: Disconnecting power to the dishwasher for 30 seconds may clear the fault, error or function code. Unplug your dishwasher for 30 seconds to 5 minutes to try and reset the control board. This may clear the error and reset the dishwasher.

GE dishwasher error code chartGE dishwasher error code chart

GE dishwasher partsGE dishwasher parts

Do you have additional GE dishwasher error codes we have not mentioned? Are you having additional trouble with your GE dishwasher? Please leave a question or comment below and we can further assist you with troubleshooting your dishwasher problem. OR, please contact GE Consumer Service at 1-800-432-2737.

APPLIANCE REPLACEMENT PARTS CENTER
Appliance Replacement Parts Center Online
APPLIANCE PARTS FOR ALL BRANDS AND TYPES

1 Kerrie December 8, 2016 at 4:59 pm

What does E8 mean on my GE dishwasher (model PDT660SSF1SS)
IT JUST STOPPED WORKING AND I cannot find anything online or in the manual.

2 Vish February 8, 2017 at 4:19 pm

How did you end up fixing the E8 error?

3 Carol brock November 17, 2016 at 2:23 pm

My dishwasher is flashing symbol OE. What does that mean

DIY Project Help Tips 4 DIY Project Help Tips November 17, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Carol brock,
Please supply us with the Model Number of your GE Dishwasher.

5 ryan November 17, 2016 at 10:03 pm

“OE” Drain error > Condition: The drain hose kinked or blocked. Wiring connections. The drain outlet of sump is blocked. The drain pump/motor or circuit is troubled. Remove kink. Check wiring. Measure the resistance of drain motor (20-40ohms) Replace the drain motor or repair the circuit.

6 ryan November 17, 2016 at 4:54 am

Every time I run my dishwasher, it runs and stops and gives me the PF (power failure) code. I have never had a power failure in my house when the PF code shows up. I checked the GFCI plug but the garbage disposal that is also plugged into it works and the dishwasher powers on and never seems to lose power. I checked the fuse box in the garage and the fuse is fine. I checked the other end of the power cord under the dishwasher and all of the wire nuts are on tight and the wires are good.

7 Angie October 31, 2016 at 11:23 pm

I select a cycle the minutes will display in the cycle time window. A few seconds pass then “1H” displays in the window…..I can’t find out what this means.

8 Robert Heatwole March 12, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I’m Having what appears to be two problems, I don’t think the dishwasher is filling with enough water and the heating element doesn’t seem to be working. I replaced the heating element only to find out the old one was still good by checking the continuity. I replaced the water fill valve and it fills for @ 70 seconds but I’m at the same water level as the old fill valve. The water fills to the very bottom of the flood switch, about a half inch or so below the heating coil, I don’t know how high its suppose to fill, I’m thinking deep enough to cover the heating coil and maybe activate the flood switch to turn the water off and stop the fill cycle. I checked the flood switch for continuity and it seems to be working, however in the past 2 months we noticed a little bit of water on the floor and I thought we may need a new flood switch but it stopped happening so I temporarily ruled it out, the water isn’t filling deep enough to activate it or cause a flood. I have a GE Profile PDW7880G00SS, it’s about 14 years old. It still cleans the dishes, I turned my water temp up a little at the hot water tank too make sure plenty of hot water goes into the dishwasher. so my question is, what should I do, maybe replace the control module and flood switch? I went into the built in service mode for the dishwasher with the bowed panel and 3L is suppose to activate the heating element, it doesn’t but the pump seems to start, that’s what the flat panel is suppose to do. I tried 4L to activate the heating element even though its suppose to be for the flat panel and I have the bowed panel as I said before, the heating element still doesn’t come on. I noticed one of the wires for the heating element goes to the control module, so I’m thinking the control module isn’t working properly and replacing it may solve the heating problem and possibly the not enough water problem if there is one. If you can answer any of these problems at least tell me how deep the water should be after filling for the wash cycle as I would very much appreciate any help you can give me. Like I said before, the dishwasher is still doing a good job of cleaning the dishes, but we use the sani cycle a lot and also the heated dry cycle. Thank you.

DIY Project Help Tips 9 DIY Project Help Tips March 12, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Robert Heatwole,
Yes replacing the control module and POSSIBLY the flood switch should remedy you issue. If the heating element checks good, then the control module could be causing the element to not heat. Let us know what you find.

10 Pauline February 18, 2016 at 3:41 pm

I get an E3 error code on my GE dishwasher. I can’t seem to find any answer to what that is?
Would anybody here know by chance? Thank you very much in advance.

DIY Project Help Tips 11 DIY Project Help Tips February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Pauline,
Are you sure it is not the error code C3? This would indicate a draining issue. You have a GE dishwasher, correct? Either way, try disconnecting power to the dishwasher for 5 minutes and see if that MAY clear the error code. If not let us know and we can research further.

12 Pauline February 18, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Yes, Im sure.
A Technician came and said it was some sensors. He said he exchanged them but the dishwasher is still not working. He charged me a lot and I doubt he replaced anything. The machine runs the whole cycle but when it stops it says error code E3 and the dishes are not clean and they’re also partially wet. Could it be the sensors and how much would it cost to buy those?
The model of the dishwasher is a GE profile, PLV1870XSS.
Thank you so much for your fast nice answer.

DIY Project Help Tips 13 DIY Project Help Tips February 18, 2016 at 11:36 pm

Pauline,
Yes possibly a sensor is causing your issue. Can you give us the full model number once again as the GE PROFILE PLV1870XSS does not come up correctly in our database. This is a discontinued model by GE as it was as some say, problematic.

14 Pauline February 22, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Hi again and thank you so much for your help.
This is the model number :
PLV1870XSS0
and 14031029PQ0098
I look forward to hearing from you.
I wish you a happy Monday.