Refrigerator Display Panel Is Blank Not Working – How To Reset?

Recently we had a power outage and the display on our refrigerator went blank. The refrigerator is working but the screen/display panel is not. Our power went out for a few hours and now we can’t get the display panel working again. The fridge is cooling and so is the freezer. The only issue is that the display is not working and not showing the numbers. I have heard you can press a button on the display and it will reset it. What do I press to get the numbers to come back? I have a Samsung refrigerator.

Refrigerator Display Not WorkingRefrigerator Display Not Working

Usually after a power outage your refrigerator will reset itself. The fridge and freezer section should be working just fine after the power outage. The only issue is the digital display panel will not be lit. Some refrigerators may not begin cooling again and the reset needs to be done once power is restored. We have seen many people having all the food in the refrigerator and freezer going bad as the power was out for many many hours.

If after a power outage, your refrigerator is cooling or not cooling, you will usually need to reset the front display panel. This is to get the panel working again and also to get the refrigerator to begin cooling again if applicable. All the below methods and conditions for reset will vary depending on the make and model of your refrigerator.

We will show you which buttons to press to reset the display control panel on your refrigerator. Many of the examples below apply to Samsung refrigerators but also can apply to GE, LG, and many other refrigerator makes and models. If your fridge flashes E and 5 after a power outage, or is blinking a blue letter, you can use the methods below to reset your refrigerator.

refrigerator display panel reset exampleRefrigerator display panel reset example

To reset your refrigerator display panel: (Different methods for different refrigerators)

Refrigerator Display Reset Method 1 – Hold down the “Energy Saving” and “Lighting” buttons at the same time for 10 seconds (or top left & right buttons). Your display panel should immediately return to normal.

Refrigerator Display Reset Method 2 – Press “Power Freeze” & “Power Cool” at the same time for 10 seconds and the display should reset and come back on.

Refrigerator Display Reset Method 3 – Hold the top left and top right soft touch buttons on the screen “power save” and “lighting” button and hold both buttons for about 8 seconds and it will reset.

Refrigerator Display Reset Method 4 – Press the “Freezer” and “Ref” buttons at the same time for 8 seconds and the reset should work.

Refrigerator Display Reset Method 5 – Press and hold the “power freeze” and “vacation” buttons for 8 to 10 seconds and the display will reset.

Refrigerator Display Reset Method 6 – Press and hold the “energy save” and “lighting” button for 10 seconds and the display will reset.

Refrigerator Display Reset Method 7 – Press and hold the “ice type” and “filter reset” button for 10 seconds and the display will come back on.

Refrigerator Display Reset Method 8 – Press and hold down “quick freeze” and “vacation” for 8 seconds and the display will reset.

These refrigerator display reset methods should reset the display panel on your refrigerator. If it does not, you may have a bad display board, bad main control board, or have a wiring harness issue.

• There are many types and models of refrigerators. The general way to troubleshoot a refrigerator that has a blank display panel, is to first try the reset methods above. If nothing resets the display, you will need to troubleshoot to find out what is causing the display to be blank.
  • First try to see if the display panel may have a bad or loose connection with the wire harness. If you find it is connected properly and secure, you may have a bad display board. If you can determine that the display panel and display board are working properly, you need to trace the wire harnesses to find where the issue is coming from.
  • If the wire harnesses are not damaged and secure, you may have a bad main control board. The main control board is located behind the refrigerator under a small rectangle shaped panel. Test all components and find which part is causing your no display issue. Below are some parts for all refrigerators including the display panel, display board, wire harnesses, and main control boards for all refrigerators.

refrigerator display boards and main control boards partsRefrigerator display boards and main control boards parts

If your refrigerator is NOT COOLING, check the page here for how to troubleshoot a refrigerator not cooling.

If you have an issue you cannot fix yourself on your refrigerator, please leave your question below and we will be happy to assist you with your refrigerator display problem. Please supply us with the make and model number of your refrigerator when asking a technical question.

1 Marquita June 21, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Maytag MFF2558FEZ need help.. the panel is just showing a line in both the freezer and fridge panel. The lights are on but its not cooling how can I reset it

2 Joe June 19, 2017 at 2:24 pm

We had a power outage recently. After power came back, our Maytag refrigerator control panel on the door went dark. Even though the interior lights were working, but the compressor and circulating fan motors were not working. Ice dispenser was not working either. I had tried to unplugged the power core for several min. and plugged back in. I checked the internet and follow some suggestions to do manual reset. That was not working. However, I did notice that about 5 min after the power core was plugged back in, the fridge control panel display came back. But it came back for only a few seconds. Then the control panel went dark again. At that point I gave up and started to move all the food out of the fridge. The fridge was still plugged in. About 12 hours after the power outage incident, the fridge started working again. All the display came back, ice dispenser was working, and all the motors were running. The fridge apparently wakes up after 12 hours in coma caused by the power outage. I would like to hear if someone can tell me how the Maytag self reset logic works.

3 Beverly Benton May 27, 2017 at 11:00 pm

I recently had a power outage and the numbers on my refrigerator are not working.
The freezer light and fridge light will come on and the power panel is blank.
The compressor and fan are not running.
I’ve unplugged it and plugged it back in and it’s not working.

DIY Project Help Tips 4 DIY Project Help Tips May 29, 2017 at 12:01 am

Beverly Benton,
Please supply model number of refrigerator.

5 Ken May 4, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Same issue as Dan? Myler June 3 2016…
I have a Kenmore 596 believe to be made also by Maytag.

Question 1: Did Dan ever report back if he got his unit working and what he did to do so?

Question 2: Which control board did he replace?
a) in one in the back of frig or the one in the door for temp and function control?

Question 3: Why would “faulty relay or cap in the back bottom” prevent the the front control and display from not working properly or at least stay illuminated without holding any button down?

Question 4: It seems like the display/function processor may be stuck in a power up mode and when a button is depressed it acts like a “test all display lights” like when you start your car the display lights up when you first start your car to test console display.

If this is what it’s doing do you know how to get out of this precheck mode or do you know where I can link to a schematic to test different signals from ECU?

Also like to commend you and your team on a well informed tech support blog keep up the great work and I take my hat off to you all!

6 Jo Anna May 1, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Refrigerator Series Parts Model GSL25JFXNLB The control panel is not working and we cannot control the cooling therefore the refrigerator is not cooling and nothing works but the lights. The refrigerator has been sitting without being used for about 2 years.

7 Mike April 25, 2017 at 2:13 am

Our refrigerator just went out. It is a GE profile model PFSS6PKXCSS serial RS901523.
It was working fine and suddenly stopped working completely.
Can someone help me to figure it out?

8 Nicola Woodward April 14, 2017 at 7:22 pm

My refrigerator control panel is flashing constantly and going off on it’s own.
None of the buttons are working when pressed.
It has only been since we knocked electric off for the day to have some sockets changed not the ones that the fridge freezer is plugged into.
I’m worried the temperature changing is affecting the food it’s an LG refrigerator American not sure of model number.

9 Richard March 21, 2017 at 8:59 pm

My Maytag control board isn’t working the fridge door was left open for a few hours and now it isn’t lighting up.
If I push the access to get ice or water the alarm just rings off but nothing comes out and it lights up.
I pulled out the plug for ten/15 minutes but it still isn’t lighting up.

10 benedict lopez March 18, 2017 at 7:52 am

How do i reset my display board on my Frigidaire gallery model number fghb2866pf3?
The freezer is working but the upper part seems not to work?

11 David Harvey March 11, 2017 at 1:03 pm

I have unplugged the wiring harnesses from the main control board After I unplugged the power cord.
This I did and waited 15 min then plugged the harnesses back in.
I checked the control board for “burnt” spots while harnesses were off.
No bad spots – Be sure to make notes of how many wires are in each harness and their positions on the board ON PAPER BEFORE YOU UNPLUG THEM one by one.
The fridge “Reset” and my problem was solved.
I did this to resolve a freezer not defrosting problem, it appears the control board had a “Timer” in it that “Reset” by unplugging the wiring harnesses.

The problem I wrote before was a different one…
My temp control display was malfunctioning after I replaced a burnt control board on my GE Profile side by side.
24 hours later the display started reading correctly on its own.

12 Janice goss March 11, 2017 at 12:51 am

I have a Samsung French door refrigerator with Flex Zone drawer. The light display is “stuck”. The lighting, cubed ice and filter displays are on but stuck. No other lights will come on. Filter is beeping and driving me crazy! Refrigerator is “built-in” and I cannot move it!

13 David Harvey March 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm

My GE Profile Refrigerator #PSS26SGRASS has a malfunctioning temp control display.
Main control panel has been replaced and now the display for “fresh” side reads strange symbol.
When I first plugged it in after replacing the control board both freezer and fresh temp displays read “off”.
Unplugged the fridge to reset control board and no change.
Both sides are cooling just LED display not showing status as it did before replacing the control board.

14 Israel March 1, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I own a GE Profile, model# PFSS6PKXESS. The control panel for going on the past month has had a mind of its own. An audible alarm rising jingle, then descending jingle goes off on the control panel. When this happens, the LOCK goes on and off along with the ICE function on and off sometimes for a few seconds by itself. Temperatures are not displayed and the water filter sometimes makes a sound when trying to reset the filter (Which is odd, because since my water is already filtered before the fridge, I am using the GE Plug that came with the unit instead of a filter) Recently, the control panel was completely unresponsive to touching anything other than LOCK. Once I heard the jingle go off again, I then attempted to use the control panel and only then did it allow me to switch Iced cubed, Ice crushed or water. Does the control panel need replaced?

15 Jono December 20, 2016 at 3:39 am

Worked for my Samsung srs702gdhss after a power outage, Power Freeze and Lighting buttons. Thanks.

16 Bonnie December 19, 2016 at 5:14 pm

I have an Amanda side by side refrigerator/freezer. We have not used the fridge for a while and now we have switched it on the motor comes on and both the fridge and freezer are getting cold but the control panel is just flashing and will not respond to any buttons we push, there is no beep when we press the buttons. We have switched the fridge off because we are worried it will get too cold. How can we get the control panel to work properly. Thanks

17 Qinghua December 7, 2016 at 9:51 pm

My GE Monogram Refrigerator EIS 360 display panel shows 5555 for both the fridge and freezer after power outage, but cooling for both sides are working.
How can I reset the display panel to show the temperatures correctly?

18 Brian Naidu December 7, 2016 at 5:13 pm

I have a Samsung Fridge Model No RT77KBSM1/XFA.
Problem is PC display on door is not working properly.
Its stays off and intermittently turns on/off with a beep.
Fridge is functioning normally.
Please if anyone can advise if PC control can be reset?

19 Cindy December 4, 2016 at 3:52 am

We have a whirlpool gold series refrig with freezer in bottom. Power outage today and control panel is blank. It will light up with pressing any button but will not reset. Refrig and freezer still works but cannot use water and ice dispensers. Tried all combos listed previously. Any other suggestions? Please help!!!

20 Danny harrison November 26, 2016 at 5:44 am

Front panel on the fridge only lights up when open and then when shut goes off after about 20 seconds?

Samsung fridge freezer

Model -rsa1rtmg

21 Mike C November 17, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Since I had multiple issues with my Whirlpool gold GC5SHEXNS00, (e.g. condenser fan, evap. fan and damper all acting strange or not working) I just replaced ALL four relays and the C32 capacitor on the control board. All those components are now working correctly, the freezer is cold and the refrigerator is catching up. HOWEVER now I don’t have power to the water dispenser and freezer lights (I am guessing ice maker too). Since there is no schematic I was wondering if you (or anyone else here) knows which wire bundle and which relay on the control board powers these items. Thanks much.

22 Peterand June 14, 2017 at 4:37 pm

I have exactly the same problem. By turning the power on-off I can get the fridge lights to come on intermittently and the fridge seems to work fine.
I checked the BiMetal thermostat in the freezer section and it was open…..so I replaced it yesterday but the lights going out problem returned…..
I am going to put the fridge up on a table so it is easier to work on and try to find the culprit.

I am an Electronics Journeyman and have been repairing stuff for almost 37 years now so hopefully I can figure out what it is.
About to retire from my current job and want to work on the side fixing fridges in my spare time…..which I should have lots of!

23 Peterand June 14, 2017 at 4:41 pm

I forgot to add that my Defrost still doesn’t seem to be working although I have checked the heater and it is fine…..I actually hooked up the heater to 110V and defrosted the fridge….just have to make sure that one doesn’t leave it on “too” long as it will get red hot and this is probably “too hot!!”

24 Peterand June 20, 2017 at 4:25 pm

I have my Fridge working almost perfectly. Had to move 1 wire on the Board.

25 Donna Schroeder November 17, 2016 at 1:16 am

GE refrigerator model PDS22MIWAWW control panel lights not on after a power outage, fridge working freezer working.

DIY Project Help Tips 26 DIY Project Help Tips November 17, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Donna Schroeder,
Press the 2 top left and right buttons on the display for 10 seconds to try a reset.
Are the lights on in the fridge and freezer?

27 Jo Bromwell November 16, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Ice maker is working. Thank you for the information, will call for repair technician.

28 Ron November 16, 2016 at 3:35 pm

GE Fridge model GFSS6KKX sounded like a lawn mower. Noise stops when door is open. Noise coming from Fridge (upper) not from below ( condenser) . I suspect problem with evaporator fan. There was a puddle under the draws which hasn’t re-occurred in the past 10 days. Bought new Fridge but noise stopped before delivery. Fridge unplugged when moved to garage. Diagnostic codes displayed was segment 3 flashing. What does that mean for this model? Holding two top buttons did reset display and I was able to lock the ice maker since there is no water line available. Fridge seems to be working but does not display temperature nor can I change the settings. The fridge is 8 years old.

29 Jo Ann Bromwell November 16, 2016 at 1:20 am

We have a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator with bottom freezer.
The temp control panel keeps going up to 7 and it will not go back down causing fresh vegetables to freeze in fridge.
Any suggestions?

DIY Project Help Tips 30 DIY Project Help Tips November 16, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Jo Ann Bromwell,
Possibly the icemaker is turned on but not making any ice.
This can cause the icemaker area to attempt to constantly maintain around a 15 degree temp.
Over time this may cause the refrigerator section to get extra cold and begin freezing things in the fridge section.
If this is what is happening with your refrigerator then turning the icemaker off may resolve the issue temporarily.

NOTE: If the icemaker is making ice, then this may indicate a problem with the fridge sensor, air diffuser, or the main control board.
This can be a complex thing to troubleshoot.
You may want to have a technician troubleshoot the system.

31 karl j renz November 10, 2016 at 6:13 pm

I have a Kitchenaid Refrigerator model ksck25fvmsoo.
It is working perfectly but the display panel went blank a few days ago.
Can you advise me which possible buttons I must press to get the display back?

DIY Project Help Tips 32 DIY Project Help Tips November 10, 2016 at 11:56 pm

karl j renz,
First unplug the fridge for about 10 minutes to attempt a reset.
If that does not work, then the display panel may have gone out or a wire harness is not securely connected.
When you press a button (even though it is blank) do you hear a beep?

33 karl November 11, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Kitchen Aid KSCK25fvmsoo

My display panel has the following buttons to press.

ICE LIGHT COOLING FILTER LOCK OPTIONS

Just tried to unplug the ref and left it 30 min. Plugged back in all OK but no display panel nor any beeps when I press any of the buttons. Is there a combination of buttons to be pushed for this model?

34 karl November 11, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Can you advise me the procedure to remove the display panel for replacement or to check the connections. I couldn’t find any screws nor plastic snaps.

35 karl November 14, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I tried this but no luck. Can you advise me how to remove the display in case I have to replace it or check for a loose connector plug?
Thank you..

36 Jessica November 9, 2016 at 10:56 pm

We have a GE fridge and we are having trouble with the display board.
Some of the lights light up, but the buttons don’t respond.
The temperature of the fridge and freezer don’t display.
It also makes random beeping noises almost nonstop.
Does it seem like the display board/trim needs to be replaced?

DIY Project Help Tips 37 DIY Project Help Tips November 11, 2016 at 12:25 am

Jessica,
What is the model number of your GE fridge?
If the display panel is going haywire and beeping for no reason and the buttons do not respond, then yes you may need to replace the control board or display board.
Do some troubleshooting inside and check that all wires are connected securely and check that the boards have no obvious signs of damage.
If you need further assistance give us the model number and we can go from there.

38 Donald Winters November 3, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I have a Jenn Air Model JSD2695KES.
Cannot change the display from Crush Ice to any other option.
The options are from left to right – Lock – Water – Crush – Cube – Light
Display is stuck on Crush.
How to I reset display to be able to select other options other than Crush?

39 Joanne Loncaric November 2, 2016 at 12:07 pm

I have a Maytag fridge and freezer and the display is showing _ _
Can you please tell me what this could mean as it is defrosting.

DIY Project Help Tips 40 DIY Project Help Tips November 2, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Joanne Loncaric,
Maytag Refrigerator = Cooling On/Off

If cooling is off, all dashes (—) will appear on the temperature display for both compartments.
Press either “-” button (for the refrigerator or freezer) to turn cooling on.
The temperature displays will now show the temperature set points for each compartment.

To turn cooling off, press either “+” button repeatedly until all dashes (—) appear on the temperature display.
Your refrigerator and freezer will not cool.

NOTE:Turning cooling off does not disconnect power to the refrigerator. The interior lights will turn off if either compartment door is open for more than 10 minutes. Simply close and open the door to turn on the interior lights.

Maytag Refrigerator Cooling ON and OFF-HOW TO

41 Jewell October 16, 2016 at 4:41 pm

We have a Jenn-Air refrigerator model #JFI2589AES purchased 12/08.
The ice maker door cycles continuously.
When the panel is pushed all lights flash but can not change anything.
And now the refrigerator and freezer does not cool anymore?
We have unplugged for 10 minutes and then plugged in again and it does the same thing?

42 Toby Maney October 13, 2016 at 2:10 am

Maytag model number mfi2569yem0, all lights on the display board light up when you push any button then goes back dark, the lights inside work, the ice chute opens when you power the unit back up, i have unplugged for 10 minutes and plugged back in, it is not running, fridge and freezer are hot.

43 Jack Johnson October 3, 2016 at 4:29 pm

I have a GE hotpoint refrigerator. After a power outage my temperature control display is blank. Also the compressor and fan are not working the model number is HSM25GFTSA.

DIY Project Help Tips 44 DIY Project Help Tips October 3, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Jack Johnson,
Try unplugging the GE Hotpoint refrigerator for 5 minutes to see if it will bring power back to the display.
Is the refrigerator attempting to run the compressor?
Do you hear any clicking noises?
Do the lights in the refrigerator come ON?
Try pressing the TOP 2 BUTTONS on the fridge display for 15 seconds to see if that gets it out of the DEMO MODE or POWER OUTAGE MODE.
Let us know what you find.

45 Vinod K September 23, 2016 at 12:35 am

Samsung showcase refrigerator.
The display stopped working.
Lights up when door is opened or when using ice or water dispenser but controls not working.
Fridge and freezer working fine.

46 Jesse September 20, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Electrolux refrigerator ice maker thermistor was damaged.
Had a party and everyone was getting ice from the tray.
I had a communication error on my touch screen (s cf).
I replaced the damage thermistor with ice tray kit.
Still with the same error, replaced the main communication board under the refrigerator.
That is the only board they had, now the screen is dead, replaced it with the old board, same issue.

47 Carol September 20, 2016 at 1:21 pm

LG fridge/freezer model LRFD25850. Display panel does not light at all. I cannot do a reset because none of the buttons work. The fridge is too cold, freezing food. Inside lights work. We replaced the display board and back control panel but that’s not the problem.

DIY Project Help Tips 48 DIY Project Help Tips September 20, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Carol,
If you have replaced the display board and the main control board at the back of your LG Refrigerator, then recheck that you have the wiring harnesses secure and in the right position.
Did anything get pinched, bent, damaged when replacing the boards?
Why did you replace both boards on the fridge in the first place? What was the issue then?

49 Thomas September 16, 2016 at 12:28 pm

We have a Hotpoint side by side refrigerator that stopped working yesterday. The light in the fridge/freezer are both on but it is not cooling and the display in the freezer door is dark I can’t see any LEDs indicating cold level and ice maker.

DIY Project Help Tips 50 DIY Project Help Tips September 16, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Thomas,
Did you recently have a power outage?
Either way have you tried the simplest way to reset the fridge by unplugging it for 10 minutes?
How old is the Hotpoint refrigerator and what is the model number?

51 bill morgan September 15, 2016 at 2:42 am

We have a Whirlpool refrigerator model#gd5nvaxwa00. The display in the thermostat panel doesn’t work after a power outage. We unplugged it for 5 min or so and the lights came back on. After a short time it went out again and the compressor doesn’t come on after the lights go out.

52 Jesse velez September 12, 2016 at 6:22 pm

We had a power outage Yesterday and the display on our refrigerator is not turning on.
The internal lights are the only thing working, the screen/display panel is not.
I have a GE Model GLM23QETA GS, hope You can help me , I might loose all of the food.

DIY Project Help Tips 53 DIY Project Help Tips September 12, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Jesse velez,
First, unplug the fridge for 10 minutes and see if that may reset…
IF NOT…
There are 2 very common issues that can stop everything from running on your refrigerator and only leaving the lights on.
1 – Defrost control board
2 – Temp control board
You will need to check these boards and the wire harnesses that go to them.
In this case the usual suspect to cause your issue is replacing the Defrost Control Board.
Make sure to troubleshoot the issue to be sure which board or harness may be causing the problem.

54 Catherine O'Brien September 5, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Maytag Refrigerator – MOD# MFI2569YEM2 SER# K13808906
I noticed my fridge had stopped working. The meats in the freezer were starting to defrost and the refrigerator part was warm. I checked the power outlet and power is coming from it. The light in the fridge part is working. The control panel is completely dead, no lights, no display. The compressor and the fans are also not working either. We did not have a power outage last night. I have tried holding down a combination of buttons on the control panel to see if it needed to restart.
Can someone please advise me what to do next. I have been looking through troubleshooting websites but I don’t understand them and can’t find anything relevant to my situation.

DIY Project Help Tips 55 DIY Project Help Tips September 6, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Catherine O’Brien,
The lights work in your Maytag refrigerator…. but it is not cooling, the front display is not illuminated and the compressor and fans are not running at all?
Have you tried to simply unplug the fridge and plug back in after 5 minutes?
You probably have a faulty main board.
It is called the REFRIGERATOR ELECTRONIC MAIN BOARD.
If you have tried everything, this board is probably the culprit.
You can find it online at appliance parts companies for around $120 to $200 US dollars.

56 Karl Johnson July 5, 2016 at 9:13 pm

We had a 15 hour power outage yesterday. My Samsung Model # RF28HMEDBSR-AA was plugged in the whole time & when the power came back we had a blank display. We tried unplugging for various times & pushed various buttons on panel but still not working. No cool or freeze.

57 Dan myler June 3, 2016 at 7:31 pm

I have a Maytag Refrigerator that quit working after lightning hit a transformer. Model mfd2562vem11. Control board is dark until you hit any button. When button is pushed all characters and leds light up. Replaced control board. Same result. No Tech sheet with refrigerator. Freezer and fridge not on.

DIY Project Help Tips 58 DIY Project Help Tips June 3, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Dam Myler,
Besides the Control board being dark…. Does the compressor run at all?
Have you checked the components in back? Fans, Caps, Relays, etc…

Here is the owners manual for your Maytag Refrigerator MFD2562VEM11.

The power outage may have damaged a relay or cap in the back bottom of the refrigerator.
Check the parts with a meter to be sure the parts were not overloaded during the power surge or power outage.

Here is a parts list for the Maytag MFD2562VEM11 that will show you the parts that may need to be checked or replaced.

59 Ernesto Bobadilla February 19, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Hello my display panel is frozen it but both the fridge and freezer work fine, is there a way i can reset it?