Reclining couches can encounter issues over time. Let us help you get it working again by going over every part and component of the couch.
How to fix a reclining couch not working properly
Remote Control Not Responding
Many modern reclining couches come equipped with remote controls for ease of operation. If your remote isn’t responding, several factors could be at play.
- Check the battery compartment for corrosion or damage. Replace with new batteries, ensuring they are inserted correctly.
- Inspect the remote for any visible damage. Drops or spills can affect its functionality.
- Test the remote with another device, if possible, to determine if the issue lies with the remote itself or the couch’s receiver.
Issues with Power Supply
For motorized reclining couches, a consistent power supply is crucial. If your couch isn’t responding, the power source might be the problem.
- Ensure the power cord is securely plugged into a working wall socket.
- Inspect the power cord for any visible signs of wear, tear, or damage. Replace if necessary.
- Test the wall socket with another electronic device to confirm it’s delivering power.
Recliner Issues With Power
Cord and Outlets
Extension cords and wall outlets can degrade or malfunction, affecting your couch’s power supply.
- Always use a heavy-duty extension cord that can handle the power requirements of your reclining couch.
- Regularly inspect wall outlets for signs of damage or wear. Replace or repair outlets that appear faulty.
- If using a surge protector, ensure it’s in working condition and not overloaded with too many devices.
Over time, the physical components of your reclining couch, such as springs, levers, and gears, can wear out or become misaligned.
- Manually inspect the reclining mechanism for signs of damage or wear. Listen for any grinding or squeaking sounds.
- Lubricate moving parts periodically with a furniture-safe lubricant to ensure smooth operation.
- If you notice any broken or worn-out parts, consider ordering replacements or consulting a furniture repair specialist.
Unusual Sounds During Operation
Strange noises can be alarming and often indicate underlying issues with your reclining couch.
- Identify the source of the noise. Is it coming from the motor, the reclining mechanism, or somewhere else?
- For grinding or squeaking sounds, lubrication of moving parts might be needed.
- If you hear a buzzing or electrical sound, it could indicate a problem with the motor or wiring. In such cases, it’s best to consult a professional.
Button or Control Panel Issues
With frequent use, the buttons or control panel on your reclining couch can become unresponsive or malfunction.
- Clean the control panel and buttons with a soft, damp cloth to remove any dirt or debris.
- Check for any visible damage or wear on the buttons. If they appear damaged, you might need a replacement control panel.
- For couches with touch-sensitive controls, ensure there’s no moisture or spills affecting the panel’s responsiveness.
The motor plays a pivotal role in automated reclining functions. If it malfunctions, the entire reclining feature can be compromised.
- Listen for any unusual sounds from the motor. A humming sound might indicate it’s working, while a clicking sound could mean it’s struggling.
- Inspect the motor for any visible signs of damage or wear. Ensure it’s free from obstructions or debris.
- If the motor appears faulty or doesn’t respond, consulting a professional for repair or replacement is advisable.
Wiring and Electrical Concerns
Wiring issues can prevent your reclining couch from functioning optimally.
- Regularly inspect all wire connections. Ensure they are securely connected and free from damage.
- Replace any frayed or damaged wires. Always unplug the couch before doing any electrical work to ensure safety.
- If you’re unsure about the wiring or electrical components, seek the expertise of a professional technician.
Overloading or Misuse
Excessive weight or improper use can strain the reclining mechanism, leading to malfunctions.
- Always adhere to the weight limit specified by the manufacturer.
- Avoid sitting on the armrests or placing heavy objects on the couch.
- Ensure the reclining feature is used gently and not forced.
If you’ve tried the above solutions and still face challenges, consider leaving a comment below with your question below and we can help you get your couch working once again!