What To Do If SIM Card In Phone Is Not Recognized Or Reading

Recently our Samsung phone was subjected to getting wet by being left in the rain. It would still turn on but the screen did not look right. We took it apart and laid it out in the sun for a few hours. It started working perfectly again except for the battery. We replaced the battery but within 4 days the phone stopped recognizing the SIM card. We opened the phone up and discovered that the SIM card contacts were slightly oxidized. The SIM card looked a little oxidized too so we decided to clean everything to be safe……

sim card in phone not reading

To clean the SIM card contacts on your phone:
First turn the phone completely off and remove the battery if possible. Use a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean any debris or oxidation off of the SIM slot contacts. Don’t let the rubbing alcohol get everywhere inside you phone as this can damage it. Clean the SIM card and the SIM contacts until the metal is shiny and no oxidation is visible. Once the SIM and contacts are clean and dry, put the phone back together and turn the phone on. If the phone fails to recognize or read the SIM card, then most likely the actual SIM card has just simply gone bad. Most phone companies such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint will give you a free SIM card since you are already a customer. Just go to the nearest store or kiosk and tell them your issue and 99% of the time they will install and setup a new SIM for you.

how to clean sim card on phone

HOW TO CLEAN SIM CARD ON PHONE

APPLIANCE REPLACEMENT PARTS CENTER
Appliance Replacement Parts Center Online
APPLIANCE PARTS FOR ALL BRANDS AND TYPES

1 Franky Spears February 4, 2017 at 2:12 am

Thank you guys. It worked with my Samsung Galaxy 7 SIM CARD. My phone is cracked but now I can make calls and text!

2 Marina November 16, 2016 at 8:39 pm

I have an iPhone 6S plus replica sometimes when i turn the off and back on it comes up with all this chinese writing and i have no idea what i have done.
Just pushing the on and off button to get rid of it there was only one bit that was in english that said sim card.
I have no idea what that meant and so i just kept pushing the on off button and then phone switched off and when i turned it on again it was back to normal.
Now my phone will not read my sim card.
I am pretty sure it had something to do with all that chinese writing i have pushed something and now i have no clues as what to do?
Can you please help.

DIY Project Help Tips 3 DIY Project Help Tips November 16, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Marina,
If you have an iPhone 6 Knock-off or fake iPhone 6 made by a Chinese company with a Chinese name on the phone, then when you restart the phone it may show Chinese writing.
It may have asked you in Chinese about using the SIM card and you accidentally pressed NO.
You will need to find out what the message is saying…. or try this…

Try this…
– Turn OFF the fake iPhone 6
– Remove the sim card
– Clean the sim card and the area on the phone where it resides
– Put the sim card back in and turn on the phone
– The phone will probably show chinese writing, choose the opposite of what you did before
– If the phone will still not recognize your SIM, give us the NAME and MODEL NUMBER of your fake iPhone.

Or ask your phone carrier for a new SIM and see if that works.

4 Michele July 11, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Does the phone camera still work if the SIM card isn’t recognized?

DIY Project Help Tips 5 DIY Project Help Tips July 12, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Michele,
Yes the camera on any phone will still work if no SIM is inserted. The camera images are stored on the drive of the phone not the SIM.

6 akdcNIamRoCk June 13, 2016 at 10:43 am

I have a Spreadtrum phone. I bought this three months ago. I just opened its engineering mode, checked all of the frequencies then I used it. After I restart the device, I typed the 2 SIM PINs then after few seconds, it shows that there is NO SIM detected. I tried Factory Data Reset it but its still happens.

DIY Project Help Tips 7 DIY Project Help Tips June 13, 2016 at 4:25 pm

akdcNIamRoCk,
The engineering mode may have changed something in the phone. Try another factory reset and see if there are any updates to the phone and try the SIM pins again.
Are you putting a SIM in the phone or just inputting the data from the SIM cards?
What is the model number of the Sreadtrum phone?

8 sonal May 9, 2016 at 4:55 am

My phone (xolo A500s) CDMA card slot is not detecting sim card. Just searching and cross is appearing on the range display area. Please help.

DIY Project Help Tips 9 DIY Project Help Tips May 9, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Sonal,
Clean the area with rubbing alcohol or get a new sim card.

10 Mayson April 18, 2016 at 3:04 pm

My Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge keeps popping up… “Sim card is not readable” and I have pulled it out and blew inside of the card slot. It still says that its unreadable. What can I do? Why does it say that?

DIY Project Help Tips 11 DIY Project Help Tips April 19, 2016 at 12:55 am

Mayson,
The SIM card in your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is most likely bad. It is probably not the SIM slot. If you have cleaned the SIM card with rubbing alcohol and it still is not readable, you need a SIM card. Go to your phone carrier and they should give you a new SIM card for free.

12 kumar Priyanshu April 13, 2016 at 1:20 am

My Nokia Lumia 530 sim slot 1 is not working properly. How can I solve the problem?

DIY Project Help Tips 13 DIY Project Help Tips April 13, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Kumar Priyanshu,
Try cleaning the sim card and the sim slot with rubbing alcohol as suggested above. If cleaning does not work, you may have either a bad sim card or the sim slot on your phone is damaged.

14 sheheryar April 9, 2016 at 11:12 am

I have bought a Motorola mobile and sim card has been shown in the phone, but the contacts in sim are not shown in the mobile. Please tell me what is the problem?

DIY Project Help Tips 15 DIY Project Help Tips April 11, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Sheheryar,
Try this…
Contacts-> menu key-> import/export-> import from sim card.

16 destyno March 21, 2016 at 10:38 am

Thank you people. It worked. I clean with alcohol

17 mittia blackhall January 2, 2016 at 1:49 am

The problem is the minute the sim card is detected, the next minute it’s not, and the phone restarts. Help.

DIY Project Help Tips 18 DIY Project Help Tips January 6, 2016 at 12:26 am

Mittia Blackhall,
The best solution here is to go to your phone carrier and request a new sim card. They will give you a new sim card if that is the cause of the problem. If not it may be your phone.

19 tiffany November 1, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I just purchased a Maxwest Phablot. 7.0. And it will not read any Sim card. I tried cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. And it still is not reading them. I also have 2 slots for the Sims. The first slot is broke. At least the second one should work. I spent $150 for this thing. Please help me.

DIY Project Help Tips 20 DIY Project Help Tips November 2, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Tiffany,
Some of the really cheap Chinese tablets have issues with the sim card slots. We have seen this issue many times. You could try a different sim card to see if the one you are using is bad. If it is a good working SIM, then return the tablet to where you bought it from as it was probably not working from the time it was manufactured.

21 bharavi August 23, 2015 at 12:21 am

Micromax cell phone is not recognizing when i restarted it appears on the screen no sim card please I what to do tell me solution

DIY Project Help Tips 22 DIY Project Help Tips August 24, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Bharavi,
Turn phone off.
Pull out sim.
Clean sim with running alcohol.
Put back in phone.
Restart phone.

23 Anna Myr August 15, 2015 at 7:22 am

My phone fell off and when i turned it on, sim card was not recognized. It says that there is no sim card. What will I do?

DIY Project Help Tips 24 DIY Project Help Tips August 15, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Anna,
1. Turn off phone.
2. Open back case.
3. Carefully remove SIM card.
4. Check SIM card for damage such as cracks.
5. If damaged, go to nearest phone store and ask for new SIM.
6. If not damaged, use rubbing alcohol and clean SIM and where it slides into.
7. Let rubbing alcohol fully dry.
8. Put SIM back in phone.
9. Put back cover back on.
10. Turn phone back on and it should recognize your SIM.

25 Ann July 31, 2015 at 12:24 am

My Samsung Galaxy A7 has a dual sim tray, the sim tray 2 at the same time memory card tray also.. the problem is.. my sim 1 tray is not functioning when i put a sim on the sim 1 tray after i restart the phone it appear on the screen “NO SIM”. but the sim 2 tray is functioning but if i use the sim 2 tray for sim card, i cannot use memory card.. how could i fix my sim 1 tray?? If i return it to Samsung store is there a possibility that they replace my unit?

DIY Project Help Tips 26 DIY Project Help Tips July 31, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Ann,
First try to use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean the sim tray. Also clean the sim card. If that does not work either the sim card is not working or damaged or the sim slot is damaged. If nothing helps, call Samsung and see if they will accept your returned product.

27 Emilee Cornwell March 22, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Thank you so much this worked perfectly

28 Nicholas January 16, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Thanks a million!!
I cleaned my SIM card and now works like a charm!!

29 Sphamandla July 2, 2014 at 9:29 am

I’ve inserted the old sim card on a new phone, but the contacts are not displaying

DIY Project Help Tips 30 DIY Project Help Tips July 2, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Sphamandla,
Depending on how the contacts were saved on the previous phone, the sim card may not have the contacts on it. If you have the old phone, put the sim card in it and save the contacts to the sim card. Then put the sim card in the new phone and the contacts will show up. Most phones let you save the contacts to the PHONE itself or the SIM card.

31 S Md Fayaz June 26, 2014 at 11:58 am

Nice to knew how to solve SIM problem before contacting customer care.This one worked to my Latest AUXUS Nuclea N2 with OLD SIM card.

32 Maneesha June 16, 2014 at 4:17 pm

This techniqe helped me a lot
ThanQ.

33 Kaylee April 23, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Thank you so much!
This worked!!

34 Vozho March 28, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I have 7 year old SIM card that didn’t want to lose.
I’ve replaced the battery on my phone and suddenly the phone couldn’t recognize it the SIM.
I tried the card on another phone and it still would not recognize. However, both phones recognize some other SIM card.
So I only gently cleaned the SIM card with alcohol and cotton wool until it shined. I let it dry and now it recognizes. THANKS.

35 Eric October 31, 2013 at 6:34 am

I don’t quite agree that the SIM card has most likely gone bad. I had a Sony Ericsson and I was recently forced to get a new smartphone because my old phone just wouldn’t recognize my SIM card. When I plugged it into the new phone, it worked perfectly. I think my old phone has gone bad in this case.

36 Jo August 30, 2013 at 12:43 am

nokia lumia 701, the sim reader does not function, how much is the sim reader?

DIY Project Help Tips 37 DIY Project Help Tips September 4, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Jo
There are shops that will repair that for you for around $15 to $25 dollars. Do a local Google search and you will be able to find a repair shop.