Flat Screen TV Turns Off By Itself – What To Check – How To Fix

Is your TV turning off by itself? Does it turn off all on its own after a few seconds? There are different reasons why your TV turns itself off or seems to turn off by itself. The different reasons are listed by category below. You can use this “TV turning off” as a troubleshooting guide. The methods to fix or troubleshoot why your TV will turn off all by itself will work on Samsung, Vizio, Mitsubishi, LG, SONY, Panasonic, HiSense, Hitachi, Element, Magnavox, Sanyo, and all other TV models.

TV turns off by itselfTV turns off by itself

Is Your TV Turning Itself Off?

Your TV TIMER may be set to turn the TV off after a specific time.

Instructions – How to turn off the TIMER on your TV… (works on most TVs)
1 – Turn your TV ON.
2 – Press the MENU button on your TV remote control and enter SETUP menu.
3 – Press the ENTER button on your TV remote and enter the TIME menu.
4 – Use the arrow buttons on your TV remote to select the TIMER and press ENTER and the TIMER screen will appear.
5 – Use your TV remote and turn the TV TIMER mode to off.
6 – Press the EXIT button on your TV remote control to exit settings.

If your TV has the SLEEP TIMER set, follow the same steps above but go into SLEEP TIMER instead.
NOTE: It is possible to set the Sleep Timer by mistake by pressing the Sleep button on your TV remote control.

TV turns off by itself with timerTV turns off by itself with timer or sleep timer?

TV turns off - timer settings menuTV turns off after a few seconds? – Check timer and AUTO OFF settings in the TV menu

Are You Using Your TV With A Cable Box Or Satellite Box?

If so your TV may seem to be off but the cable or SAT box is not turned on.
1 – Make sure the Cable Box Or Satellite Box is turned on and the input on the TV is set to that box.
2 – If the Cable Box Or Satellite Box is turned on, your cable or SAT box may not be sending your TV a signal.
3 – Test the cable box or satellite box signal output by pressing the info/guide button on the satellite box or cable box remote.
4 – After pressing the info/guide button, if the TV screen displays the guide data then your issue is caused by the cable or SAT box.
5 – If your TV screen will not display the guide data then be sure to change the input source on your TV using the input button on your TV remote.

Are You Are Using The TV As A Computer Monitor?

Is the stand-by TV light blinking for a few moments after you press the power on button on your TV remote?
If so, then your PC is in sleep or hibernate mode. Wake up your PC by moving the mouse and the TV should turn back on.
NOTE: If your TV screen does not turn back on then be sure to change the input source on your TV using your TV remote control.

If the above TV WILL TURN OFF BY ITSELF methods did not work, try a MASTER RESET or FACTORY RESET on your TV. You will find this in the main settings of the TV menu. Try the Master reset and that may fix your TV from turning off by itself.

Also, if you have a Smart TV that is connected to the internet by WIFI, try updating the system bios or the TV software that controls it. Look for TV update settings in the menu. Try the reset and the system update and if that does not FIX your TV, you may have an issue with a component in the TV.

tv power supply boardsTV power supply boards

If all the above has failed to work, and you have checked and rechecked that the components attached to your TV ARE working properly, and have tried the reset and update options, you may have an issue with the TV itself. You could have a power board issue or other board issue. To fix a blank TV screen or find out if a board in your TV may be bad, try reading this page here about TV has sound but no picture.

If you have tried all the above and you still have issues, please leave a comment below and we will be happy to assist.

APPLIANCE REPLACEMENT PARTS CENTER
Appliance Replacement Parts Center Online
APPLIANCE PARTS FOR ALL BRANDS AND TYPES

1 Arthur Rodriguez March 20, 2017 at 2:12 am

Okay, my 55 inch flat screen TV turns on normaly with remote and by TV. It stays on for about 30 to 45 seconds then flashes fuzzy grey like old school TV’s then goes black….
What could be causing this to happen?

2 John March 18, 2017 at 11:48 pm

We have an element TV and it shuts off after a few seconds. Not enough time to get to the settings menu to reset. Not sure what to do.

3 Philemon Kepas March 4, 2017 at 4:35 am

I have a flat TV Screen, The power light shows up but there is nothing displaying on the screen. I try pressing the remote controller but nothing came back but just the black dark screen. The previous night I accidently set the Sleep timer button to 130 seconds. The next night trying to put on the screen nothing came on except the power light. I tried turning off the screen using the screen Power Button but it seems to be freezing. Nothing happen, just the power light – (Red) plus the Black Screen.

4 Jeremy March 2, 2017 at 2:04 am

My 55 inch Magnavox flat screen will come on for about 4 seconds then cuts off. It won’t let me go to the menu and has no sound when it comes on.

5 ASHRAF Zaki January 23, 2017 at 10:33 pm

TV wouldn’t come on when I push the button on remote except hearing a click followed by another and a black screen, no picture and no sound.
I disconnected it for a month, and by curiosity I tried to put it on, it worked very well for half an hour then turned off by itself.
NB for a year now there is a thin green line, not so observed, from the top to bottom of the screen.
I had been told it is a burned screen????
But how if it turns on ok if left off for a while!!!!

6 Mike December 23, 2016 at 1:52 am

I have a Toshiba 42HL167, the TV will power up and the light in the front will turn green and the light behind the back cover (the sound board I think) is green, after 20 seconds the power board will click and the screen will go black, the green light on the front will remain green but the green light on the sound board will go out for 1 second then come back on green, after 5 seconds the speakers will make a ripping sound then 5 seconds later the power board will click then screen will come back on, and will continue to repeat the process.

DIY Project Help Tips 7 DIY Project Help Tips January 20, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Mike,
Sounds like you may need a new sound board or a power board for your Toshiba TV.
Do you have a multimeter?

8 Colleen December 9, 2016 at 3:12 pm

I have a brand new Element 4K UHD which keeps powering off. It took hours to get thru setup and by next day I was finally able to get sound/picture! So I feel there is hope but it still powers off after about ten seconds so I am unable to go into menu or any settings. At times it seems that it isn’t responding to the remote if I attempt to try, as if it is frozen. In reading others comments I think perhaps there is a defect in the power board. I see a DIY comment to one person on how to ‘replace caps’ (capacitors?) I am not very savvy but poor enough to try to be. How can I order the board or capacitors? And do you agree this is where I should start?

9 Tibor Ouyang November 18, 2016 at 3:27 am

I have an Orion SLED4668w LED tv. Video and audio works fine with all HDMI connections but when I plug in an antenna or anything else into the coaxial input the tv will suddenly turn off and on by itself with a white line across the screen, sometimes at the bottom, then the middle, then the top. This erratic behavior will continue unless I disconnect the antenna cable from the coaxial connector. I’ve tried different antennas, cables, outlets, even a cable by itself all with the same result. I also tried resetting it. I am able to go through the process of auto scanning channels but after it’s done scanning and tries to go to a channel the process repeats itself. Help!

10 Robert Baker November 8, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I have a Luxor smart TV which works perfectly well except when I try to connect to the internet either via WiFi or wired the TV switches itself off if I keep the Ethernet cable in it will turn on and off until I remove the Ethernet cable

11 Ann Walsh October 31, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Our tv turns off every hour on the dot unless we are watching hulu, netflix, amazon prime, etc. No timer is set. We thought it was the tv but have purchased a new one and it does the same thing. We have plugged a lamp into same outlet and it never flickered. The cable box does not turn off either, just the tv.

12 Charles Fiscus October 16, 2016 at 12:45 am

Vizio TV VA26LHDTV repeatedly cycles on and off, when plugged in.
Without ever touching any buttons.
Doesn’t stay on long enough to even try any kind of adjustment.
Just repeatedly cycles on for about 10 seconds, then shuts itself off, for about 5 seconds, then back on.

13 Joe January 27, 2017 at 2:03 am

Did you fix it??!
Mine does same thing but less seconds! Maybe 4 seconds you see the logo on the screen and then turns off

14 Ryan October 10, 2016 at 1:34 pm

I have a Hitachi TV 42hdx99. It turned itself off after about an hour, had to unplug and plug back in to get it working again.
Then it turned itself off again after about 10 minutes.
When it turns off the power light (red/blue) is off like if its not getting any power.
Unplugging seems to temporarily reset issue but not fix the problem.

15 Cath ongayo October 3, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Our SONY internet TV suddenly turns off while i was standing near the tv and drying up my hair. Is there a chance that droplets of water reach the cord of the tv causes it to turn off suddenly? I heard a loud pop when it off.

DIY Project Help Tips 16 DIY Project Help Tips October 3, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Cath ongayo,
If using a hair dryer plugged into the same outlet as the TV, the TV turned off, you simply over-amped the outlet.
You may need to flip the circuit breaker in the room where the TV is.
Check the breaker box to see if the circuit breaker for the room where the TV is being used is not tripped.
Reset it.
Once you reset it, the TV surge protector may also need to be flipped.
After you reset both, turn TV back ON and it should be working.
For future reference, do not use a hair dryer in the same outlet as a TV when the TV is ON

17 Dee September 25, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Hisense 55 tv. I turn it on and it displays the logo hisense and smart but very dark. Then it shuts off. I unplugged everything and plug it back in. Still didn’t work…

18 Adrianna Smith September 22, 2016 at 3:03 am

I don’t have my original remote but I have an Xfinity cable remote and the model of the TV is ELDFT406 AND I DID TRY ALL OF THE ABOVE AND STILL CUTTING OFF.

19 Laura September 11, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Our LG 50PK550 plasma TV turns off by itself. We have tried all the suggestions above and we cannot find a master or factory reset setting on our TV. How do we find that reset on this model? Do you have any other suggestions? We have had this tv 5-6 years.

DIY Project Help Tips 20 DIY Project Help Tips September 12, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Laura,
Disconnect the LG PLASMA TV from power.
Press and hold the power button on the TV for 15 seconds.
Wait one minute and then plug the TV back in and press power once.
Did that fix the issue?

If not, you may have faulty capacitors on the power supply.
The solution is to remove and replace the capacitors.

21 s Amoo September 9, 2016 at 12:22 am

I have a Haier LCD TV 32 inches. It turns off almost immediately as it turns ON with only a flash screen before it goes off. The TV uses a 465-0101-m1901G power board and there isn’t any caps that appears to be blown. What should i do?

DIY Project Help Tips 22 DIY Project Help Tips September 9, 2016 at 5:24 pm

S Amoo,
Does the POWER LIGHT stay illuminated regardless of the screen turning OFF on your Haier TV?
Have you tried unplugging the TV for an hour or more to see if it may reset it?
What is the model number of the Haier 32 Inch TV?

23 Chris March 8, 2017 at 8:10 pm

I have the same issue with Haier 42″ TV. L42B1180. The green light stays illuminated.

24 Joe September 6, 2016 at 1:08 am

I have a Sanyo 40 TV. It will run for about 10 to 12 minutes and then shut off. It will not turn on for a good five minutes, almost as if it is hot. I tried all of your suggestions, but nothing seems to work.

DIY Project Help Tips 25 DIY Project Help Tips September 6, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Joe,
Have you gone into the MENU of your Sanyo TV and choose FACTORY RESET?
There may be a bug in the software or a setting may have been set to turn the TV off after 10 or 15 minutes.
Are you able to go into MENU and choose DOWNLOAD NEW FIRMWARE?
If it is a SMART TV that is connected to WIFI, you can update the SANYO TV to the newest firmware.
Try that if possible.

26 Maria olivia August 4, 2016 at 11:23 am

We bought a tv set with an unknown brand called “mass”. It is hard to turn-on and turning off by it’s own. We have a cable box, but it is always lit so means not part of the problem.

DIY Project Help Tips 27 DIY Project Help Tips August 5, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Maria olivia,
Please supply us with the full Brand Name and the MODEL NUMBER of your TV.
Are you using the remote that came with the TV or a universal remote?

28 Jennifer Boggs August 1, 2016 at 10:13 pm

I have a Proscan flat screen TV and it cuts off all by itself.
Sometimes it stays on for a couple of hours and sometimes just a few seconds.
I tried going and changing the settings but still nothing… please help!

DIY Project Help Tips 29 DIY Project Help Tips August 2, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Jennifer Boggs,
Have you checked all connections?
Are you sure it is the TV and not a component, like a cable box turning off?
If you know it is the TV shutting OFF by itself, be sure there is no timer set to turn off in the settings.
If all looks good, you may have a bad power board.
Check everything and get back to us with the model number of your Proscan and what you have found may be the issue.

30 Dr K N Singh April 28, 2016 at 2:21 am

I have Samsung LCD TV 40 inch. After on both audio and video are OK. After some time may be few minutes or few hours video goes off blank screen black color as if TV is off but audio remains normal. After switch off when again turned on, it behaves like above. Can you suggest remedy?

DIY Project Help Tips 31 DIY Project Help Tips April 29, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Dr K N Singh,
To be sure… Your Samsung TV is ON for a few a certain amount of time and the screen goes COMPLETELY BLACK but the audio is still heard?
If this is so, you most likely have a bad board or some capacitors on the video board are popped or blown.
Safely open the TV and inspect for popped or bulging capacitors.
Replace as needed. Either buy new board, or desolder the bad caps and solder in new ones…..