TV Says NO SIGNAL – What To Check – How To Fix

I have an HD Flat Screen TV and when I turn it on it says NO SIGNAL. I have not seen this before as my CABLE BOX is connected and turned ON. I do not know if there may be something wrong with my Samsung TV or if it is the cable box causing my problem. I know my TV works because I can see it displaying the words “NO SIGNAL”. Is there maybe something wrong with the TV where the cables go in on the back of the TV?

tv NO SIGNALTV NO SIGNAL

If your TV displays a “No Signal” message on the screen (HDTV or Standard TV) it could be one of the 4 issues we have listed below…

1 – Is the NO SIGNAL issue happening on just one TV?
CORRECT INPUT or SOURCE
If it is just one TV that is showing the NO SIGNAL…
-Be sure your TV is on the correct source or input as your CABLE or SAT BOX.
-Press the TV button on TV remote control to turn your TV ON.
-Press the INPUT button on your TV remote control.
-Cycle through all the inputs on your TV.
-Do this until you are on the INPUT your CABLE or SAT BOX is plugged into.
-You should then see the CABLE or SAT programming show on your TV.
HINT: Your TV will most likely list the TV INPUTS as: HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, VGA, Component 1, Component 2, and so on.
If you still see NO SIGNAL on your TV screen, see the next step below…

2 – If you have your TV on the correct INPUT or SOURCE and you still see NO SIGNAL…
CABLE OR SAT BOX NEEDS RESET
-Remove or unplug the power cable from the Cable TV or SAT set top box.
-Keep it unplugged for 2 to 3 minutes.
-Plug the power cable back into your Cable or SAT set top box.
-Give it some time for the Cable or SAT box to power up, get the signal, and initialize.
If you still see NO SIGNAL on your TV screen, see the next step below…

3 – If you have reset the Cable or SAT box and still have the NO SIGNAL…
UNPLUG THE CABLE GOING FROM THE TV TO YOUR CABLE OR SAT BOX
-Remove the HDMI cable or other cables from your Cable TV or SAT set top box.
-Keep the cable unplugged for 2 to 3 minutes.
-Plug the HDMI cable or other cables back in.
-Give it some time for the Cable or SAT box to get the signal and initialize.
HINT: Make sure all the cables that are connected to your Cable or SAT box and your TV are tight, undamaged, and secured.

4 – If all of your TVs are affected with the NO SIGNAL screen…
BE SURE THE COAX CABLES OR ETHERNET CABLES ARE SECURE or CABLE OR SAT IS DOWN TEMPORARILY
-Be sure to check the ones where the CABLE or SAT come into your home.
-Be sure ALL Ethernet and Coax cables are secure.
-Call your CABLE or SAT provider to see if there is an outage.
-Realign your Dish if you have SATELLITE.

If you need more help with a TV that says NO SIGNAL, please leave a comment below and we will be happy to assist.

APPLIANCE REPLACEMENT PARTS CENTER
Appliance Replacement Parts Center Online
APPLIANCE PARTS FOR ALL BRANDS AND TYPES

1 Mila Devlin March 19, 2017 at 5:35 am

After setting up PEEL REMOTE on my Vizio Smart TV, it started saying no signal. TV turns on but no signal, can’t use my TV remote either after foolishly setting up from my Android smart phone the Peel remote on my Vizio TV. I followed all the suggested troubleshooting guide but to no avail.

2 Melissa Stevenson March 14, 2017 at 9:08 am

My dogs knocked my box off the tv while i was gone today.
Everything is plugged in still.
But the card was ajar.
Not clicked in securely.
It comes on but white channel with lines.
What can I do to fix this?

DIY Project Help Tips 3 DIY Project Help Tips March 14, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Melissa Stevenson,
Are you talking about a SAT box that is damaged?

4 D. P. March 12, 2017 at 1:52 am

Vision tv. Mediacom cable. HDMI-2 works fine on the main tv and also in the bedroom. However HDMI-1 says no signal. Tried everything that I’ve read. ie. connections. Resetting tv. Etc. Even dealt with mediacom agent. Nothing. Help!

5 Franc March 5, 2017 at 5:56 am

I have LG LED SMART DIGITAL TV About every month I lose all signal on 7.9.10.sbs network except on ABC network.

6 Rob February 20, 2017 at 6:50 pm

I am having issues with my tv monitor. I have 2 computer monitors and 1 tv all hooked up to eachother. Everything was working fine until i plugged in a new controller. Now the tv says no signal. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but that does not seem to help. Any suggestions?

7 Ofelia March 4, 2017 at 7:49 am

E52 No Signal that’s my issue

8 Kelly February 17, 2017 at 11:53 am

I have just moved into a house and I have tried setting up my tv and hd set top box, and I keep getting no signal, I have brought a indoor antenna and I still can’t get it 2 work, I have got the hdmi cable connected into the right spots, I have put the antenna part into the wall socket and into the tv but still getting no signal. Someone suggested a booster cable but I’ve never heard of it and don’t know where I would get 1 from.

9 Judy Reynolds February 1, 2017 at 7:17 pm

My TV is hooked up to cable and works fine but, when I switch it to air channels, it takes 40 minutes to come on. It says no signal, but after 40 minutes it comes on. When I turn it on and hit source HDMI, it comes on right away, but when I hit source and it’s air channels, it takes 40 minutes to come on. It gets no signal for 40 minutes. Is my TV going out?

10 Debby January 29, 2017 at 5:34 pm

I have a Polaroid TV, just had cable hooked up! “NO SIGNAL” had tech come back out to check cable (dish) installed correctly, still “NO SIGNAL”. I do not have the TV remote so I am in a quandary! What do I do?

11 Dina awadallah January 27, 2017 at 2:23 pm

My tv says no signal but there is sound from each channel. Everything is plugged in properly . Just don’t know what it could be

12 Piper January 23, 2017 at 1:06 pm

New rca…can’t get the screen off weak or no signal…pls help

13 Geraldine Reynolds December 15, 2016 at 4:43 am

My PlayStation 3 comes on but to put it back on the For Television to play, it has No Signal, I pressed the SOURCE to get an internet connection and it would not change. What Do I Do? Do I unplug everything and then plug everything back.

14 paul December 12, 2016 at 4:11 am

My LG tv still says no signal no matter what I do.
I was having trouble with the hard drive freezing and turning tv off after making a ticking sound every 3 seconds and wont let me change the channel.
If I play recorded tv I have no sound.
I also have no signal on any other components.

15 Sharon December 10, 2016 at 2:54 pm

My lg tv goes on after ten minutes of watching it it comes up no signal what is problem

16 Petra70 December 3, 2016 at 7:39 pm

We have a fairly old (2008) Daewoo LCD flatscreen tv – which has worked pretty well, until this morning.
Problem: It will not stay on the HDMI channel.
When HDMI is selected the tv seems to switch off and then come on again to the ”no signal” message.
We use a Virgin Media Tivo box which is the ONLY source for the TV – via the HDMI input port.
Normally . . . When the tv is first switched on, we get the ”no signal” message, and have to scroll through the multimedia channels with the tv remote until HDMI is reached, and then and only then can the signal from the Tivo can be watched.
We also have a dvd player plugged into the tv via scart lead on channel AV1.
AV1 and AV2 channels will also cause the tv to switch off (red light on… flashes… then green) and be back at the ”no signal” message.

DIY Project Help Tips 17 DIY Project Help Tips December 6, 2016 at 1:49 am

Petra70,
Sounds like the TV may have an issue with a loose/faulty HDMI cable, the HDMI connections in the TV are shot or a circuit board issue.
You may just simply have a loose wire or a faulty HDMI cable.
Check to be sure the cables are secure, not damaged, and none of the connections are bent (on cables and TV).
Have you tried switching cables and components?
Are the cables connected correctly?

18 Petra70 December 6, 2016 at 9:33 am

Hi RR,
Many, many thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, our old Daewoo died a death by the following morning.
Nothing would work when she was turned on.
No lights on the front nothing – so – she has gone to the big tv graveyard ”in the sky”.
Since replaced by a Samsung series 6 tv.

19 Rosalie November 17, 2016 at 4:55 am

After setting up omgtv, All HDMI plug I tried, it says “no signal. The tv is working but not the HDMIs

DIY Project Help Tips 20 DIY Project Help Tips November 17, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Rosalie,
Try a new HDMI cable.
Be sure the component the HDMI cable is connected to is ON.

21 Liz November 7, 2016 at 9:50 am

I accidentally pressed down on my hard disc remote which I use to access my freeveiw channels. Since then (last night ) I can’t get my TV channels on the screen keeps saying to check my antenna. and I can’t get my channels working. I don’t know what I’d pressed on to lose the TV channels can you help ?

22 Kelly Christy November 5, 2016 at 4:26 pm

OMG! It worked without calling the cable company!! THANK YOU!!

23 sachin ahire October 26, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I had Mitashi led TV. I had lost my led remote. And on my led getting msg No signal. I had check my set up box. It get red and yellow light but no Channel will start.

24 Colleen October 5, 2016 at 3:28 pm

I have a Sharp LED TV. I have no signal and I have tried everything you suggested. Except getting a new HDMI cord. When I first turn the tv on with the remote it says, analog 7.0 what does that mean? And also I have the no signal box on my screen. My tv was working fine and in the middle of a program I lost my connection. I don’t have cable tv. I have an antenna. Can you help?

DIY Project Help Tips 25 DIY Project Help Tips October 6, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Colleen,
Have you tried checking that the TV antenna wires are secure, tight, not damaged, and the antenna is in the correct place?
Was the antenna moved?
Do you have the TV in the correct INPUT?
The TV needs to be set on ANTENNA when you cycle through the INPUTS.
Try everything above and then run a CHANNEL SCAN for the ANTENNA not cable.

What type of TV ANTENNA do you have?
The newer flat small HDTV antenna or the older large roof antenna?
Let us know if you get the Sharp LED TV working.

26 Tricia September 17, 2016 at 4:00 am

Thank you – My TV, just by unplugging and replugging the cables on the Internet box, it fixed the problem.

27 Nora September 10, 2016 at 10:59 am

Used my TV last night and it was in perfect condition. This morning, the audio on cable’s working but no video… It’s saying No signal.
However, the Dvd input (AV1) is working and in perfect condition. I’ve tried everything including all the steps listed but the cable input won’t work.
Please, what do i do?

DIY Project Help Tips 28 DIY Project Help Tips September 10, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Nora,
You may have a bad coax cable wire causing the issue.
If not then possibly your cable company was simply having issues at that time.
Have you checked it recently. Does the issue still exist?

Try replacing the cable from the cable box to the TV.
Try resetting the cable box.
Try resetting the TV to factory default setting.

29 Wendy August 29, 2016 at 10:39 pm

I have both a Vizio and a Samsung smart tv that do not recognize the Roku Streaming Stick. I get ” no signal”. I have tried the troubleshooting steps listed above. Help please.

30 Mari August 23, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I have a TCL tv. It turns on. Image and audio ok but in less than 5 mins the no signal message appears. Prob for couple of weeks now. Cable box was changed. A friend checked it out this morning. Started working fine. Turned it on again now and same problem.

31 KC August 7, 2016 at 5:07 pm

I have a Vizio, approx 8 years old. 6 days ago lighting struck and ever since this TV shows “no signal”. I have tried everything and even tech support and new satellite box. Computer will not connect either thru HDMI. Does this most likely mean the TV is shot?

32 Pete July 12, 2016 at 3:42 am

My TV still has picture and volume, but still have the “no signal message” box in the middle of my TV. I have tried to do all the suggestions above but it won’t go away.

DIY Project Help Tips 33 DIY Project Help Tips July 12, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Pete,
What component are you trying to connect and watch on the TV?
Have you made sure the cable or cables are not damaged?
Try using new cables to connect the component to your TV.
What is the model number of your TV?

34 Bijaya June 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm

I have an LG TV. Shows no signal message. Tried everything suggested by you. How do I get the picture back?

DIY Project Help Tips 35 DIY Project Help Tips June 7, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Bijaya,
The No Signal message means that the TV isn’t getting any input from the currently selected source.
1. Check the label of the Input port (if you have many connected, make sure you follow the wires from the device to the TV to make sure you’re looking for the correct one)
2. If your Remote has an Input/Source button, press it and choose the input from the list that matches where your device is connected.
(If your Inputs have labels click All Inputs to see the Port numbers)