TV Says NO SIGNAL – What To Check – How To Fix

I have an HD Flat Screen TV and when I turn it on it says NO SIGNAL. I have not seen this before as my CABLE BOX is connected and turned ON. I do not know if there may be something wrong with my Samsung TV or if it is the cable box causing my problem. I know my TV works because I can see it displaying the words “NO SIGNAL”. Is there maybe something wrong with the TV where the cables go in on the back of the TV?

tv NO SIGNALTV NO SIGNAL

If your TV displays a “No Signal” message on the screen (HDTV or Standard TV) it could be one of the 4 issues we have listed below…

1 – Is the NO SIGNAL issue happening on just one TV?
CORRECT INPUT or SOURCE
If it is just one TV that is showing the NO SIGNAL…
-Be sure your TV is on the correct source or input as your CABLE or SAT BOX.
-Press the TV button on TV remote control to turn your TV ON.
-Press the INPUT button on your TV remote control.
-Cycle through all the inputs on your TV.
-Do this until you are on the INPUT your CABLE or SAT BOX is plugged into.
-You should then see the CABLE or SAT programming show on your TV.
HINT: Your TV will most likely list the TV INPUTS as: HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, VGA, Component 1, Component 2, and so on.
If you still see NO SIGNAL on your TV screen, see the next step below…

2 – If you have your TV on the correct INPUT or SOURCE and you still see NO SIGNAL…
CABLE OR SAT BOX NEEDS RESET
-Remove or unplug the power cable from the Cable TV or SAT set top box.
-Keep it unplugged for 2 to 3 minutes.
-Plug the power cable back into your Cable or SAT set top box.
-Give it some time for the Cable or SAT box to power up, get the signal, and initialize.
If you still see NO SIGNAL on your TV screen, see the next step below…

3 – If you have reset the Cable or SAT box and still have the NO SIGNAL…
UNPLUG THE CABLE GOING FROM THE TV TO YOUR CABLE OR SAT BOX
-Remove the HDMI cable or other cables from your Cable TV or SAT set top box.
-Keep the cable unplugged for 2 to 3 minutes.
-Plug the HDMI cable or other cables back in.
-Give it some time for the Cable or SAT box to get the signal and initialize.
HINT: Make sure all the cables that are connected to your Cable or SAT box and your TV are tight, undamaged, and secured.

4 – If all of your TVs are affected with the NO SIGNAL screen…
BE SURE THE COAX CABLES OR ETHERNET CABLES ARE SECURE or CABLE OR SAT IS DOWN TEMPORARILY
-Be sure to check the ones where the CABLE or SAT come into your home.
-Be sure ALL Ethernet and Coax cables are secure.
-Call your CABLE or SAT provider to see if there is an outage.
-Realign your Dish if you have SATELLITE.

If you need more help with a TV that says NO SIGNAL, please leave a comment below and we will be happy to assist.

1 Judy Loper September 20, 2017 at 9:02 pm

We still get a No Signal message on our Insignia tv after we did all of the above. The other tv works fine. We swapped the HDM1 cables, & it works fine on the other tv. It appears that it is not the cable. What else can we do?

2 Brian September 7, 2017 at 11:34 pm

I have 2 philips tv’s a couple of years old they both have been working fine and then all of a sudden they stopped recieving digital signal a “no signal” message appears when I turn tv on. I checked all the connections, tried reseting the stations, unplugged the tv and let it set then plugged it in. Everything looks good. I even unplugged the cable i use for the outdoor antenna and used an old cheapy rabbit ear type I bought at wal-mart, just to make sure it wasn’t my antennas problem on top of the house. So what I’m thinking is the broadcast antenna towers that the TV stations use to broadcast the signal might be malfunctioning. Who would i contact or what should I do? Thanks for your time.

3 Glenda September 5, 2017 at 11:16 pm

Why would the dvd get no signal also

4 Kim August 16, 2017 at 10:34 pm

I have done everything that was required including talking to my cable provider which stayed there were no outages or problems with my wifi or internet. I am in need of help at this time.

5 Benjamin Diaz August 11, 2017 at 6:02 am

My TV Samsung was doing the same thing until I reprogrammed all the channels.
Not in the setup but on the menu (plug and play).
There is a video on youtube from SAMSUNG that guides you on that particular problem.
My suggestion will be to try different inputs.
Try connecting your cable box to another TV.
Last but not least you may have a bad Main board on your TV.

6 Lorna August 10, 2017 at 6:12 pm

I have no signal on my TV.
This happens a lot.
I’ve always corrected it.
I’ve tried rebooting all the channels and everything.
But this time nothing it is not working.

7 Cyana Quimby August 8, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Ive tried all the steps above and nothing has worked. The TV Is set on the right channel, I’ve reset the direct TV box , I’ve unplugged the cords from the TV and nothing has worked. When I reset the box it pops up on the TV that’s it’s restarting but once it does it goes back to saying no signal. What else can I do?

8 Phila Dlamini July 30, 2017 at 6:48 pm

My tv keep on saying no signal, even after I followed all required step trying to fix a problem but no changes. Pls help.

9 Leanne July 30, 2017 at 1:42 pm

We have just moved into a newly converted property. We have the coaxial cable plugged into the wall and into the tv as it has freeview built in.
We are getting no signal and have tried two cables, we are not sure what to do! Please help.

10 Matt July 27, 2017 at 2:10 am

My LG tv is playing Netflix and while playing Netflix a box shows up that says no signal but I can still see the show playing and then my tv cuts off. I’m playing Netflix through the app on my tv. Why is it doing this?

11 Bobby July 7, 2017 at 12:39 am

Did all the unplugging and checking but still have no signal help please

12 Bobby July 7, 2017 at 1:03 am

Also the only feature on the dish remote that will work is the volume

13 Sam Hicks July 3, 2017 at 10:12 pm

My “no signal” on the TV is intermittent. It goes off and on about 3X per hour.

14 Benjamin D July 1, 2017 at 1:51 am

THIS AN UPDATE ON MY PROBREM WITH A Samsung TV.
My problem was a bad TCON board.
As soon it was replaced everything was ok.
No more “weak or no signal” on the screen.
No more broken dots in the picture.
A $ 25.00 item fixed my TV problem and saved me a lots of money.

15 Sandy Olson June 29, 2017 at 11:48 am

2 days ago both of our tv’s started showing the no signal message. We set both tv’s up December 2016 and have had no problems until now. We only have antanna tv, no cable. It was hooked up from antanna to a booster that has a splitter to the 2 tvs. So I bought a new splitter and bypassed the booster, still the same. Nothing has changed in my house so I can’t figure out what to do. Suggestions????

LG smart tv…. bought new 2016 not sure of model number and don’t want to take off the wall to find it.
Emerson basic tv…. about 10 years old
HD exterior pole mounted antenna… about 4 years old

16 rodgers miller eganmbi June 23, 2017 at 2:40 pm

my Startimes decoder together with the TV screen have been working nicely since but unfortunately on Wednesday, 21st June, it stopped only the TV screen showing ” No signal” help me plz.

17 kabelo masemola June 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm

my hisense smart TV has been showing the no signal sign today since 06:00 till now 16:00. i have tried unplugging n re-plugging but no luck. please help

18 BENJAMIN DIAZ June 22, 2017 at 7:16 pm

HI I have a Samsung 50″ .after replacing the main board and reprogram all the channels. I got this message ( weak or no signal ) but if I select different input . like AV 1 is fine . I double check the antenna connection and is fine but still the same weak signal . if i select a channel the picture is broken onto little dots .then it shows ok but momentarily because it breaks again I try adjustments in the service mode . reset it to factory setup. but still the same any help will be very much appreciated

19 Bonnie June 22, 2017 at 5:49 pm

I have a non HDMI tv. Am trying to connect my Roku via HDMI to RCA converter. Am getting no signal on tv. Plz help.

20 Billy Sparrow June 14, 2017 at 2:59 am

I have problems with my rca tv it has power and everything is working fine but keeps saying no signal i did all the steps u guys suggest and still no signal please can u tell me what is wrong i have 3 tvs now and all stop working today

21 Mark Abblett June 13, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Moved in.to new home and at the moment I have no digital tv provider due to how long it takes for the transfer over to another house takes. When plugged in tv cable to the aerial socket came up with no signal and this is happening in all rooms. What is going wrong I cant watch any tv

22 James vink June 13, 2017 at 12:03 pm

My lg LCD tv was working fine. I turned it of one night then when I turned it on again in the morning it says no signal and the screen flickers. I’ve tryed everything. It’s not the antennae as if my other tv works fine. And it won’t except a signal from any other input either. Just always says no signal

23 Jonail June 7, 2017 at 4:15 pm

I was watching tv and all of a sudden my tv went out no signal no analog or digital channel. I checked cords and I don’t have cable I just have an antenna and it’s on the right port. Help what do I do.

24 Mauro June 2, 2017 at 9:05 am

I have an LG 47 inch TV.
Model Number 47lg70yd.
When i turn it on there is no signal for about 10 minutes and then it starts to get it.
Why does it takes so long?
I tried all the steps and nothing.
I have another TV same cable and same electrical socket and no problem at all.

25 Rosie May 30, 2017 at 4:32 pm

I have a Sanyo TV with a an HDTV antenna it was working fine with no problems for years. We have purchased a new HDTV antenna and still no signal. Tv plays a DVD with no problem

26 Annika Monika Pasaje May 26, 2017 at 11:19 am

There is something wrong to my tv SKYWORTH in Samsung cable signal.
It is on the correct source and i keep on putting it some cables.
All of them are not working, that TV is my favorite because it is small and all the channels are HD.

27 Joan May 26, 2017 at 2:04 am

We don’t have cable so what do we do?

28 Punit halyal May 21, 2017 at 11:12 am

My LG LED TV has HDMI working pretty fine. The av says no signal. The service centre guy says main board needs replacement , however I am not convinced cause my entire TV works fine otherwise.

29 Moham May 18, 2017 at 5:48 pm

My Samsung TV is showing no signal.
I have bought a new hdmi cable but still the same problem.
No signal.
I have also tried a scart lead.
Same problem.

30 Susan May 14, 2017 at 12:27 am

Please I’ve tried everything and tv says no signal for 3 days now, I’m so angry I could spit! The tv works, the box works the remote works I’ve plugged and unplugged and still I am at a loss help. Thank you

31 Karen May 3, 2017 at 12:27 am

We’ve tried all steps. We have an Android box and a Westinghouse TV. It was working fine last night.

32 Robert April 30, 2017 at 9:10 pm

My Sharp LED TV shows no signal even when I have a signal from the cable box.
I’ve tried the unplug everything and plugging it back but it still shows up.
How do I get rid of the message?

33 Angela April 30, 2017 at 3:30 pm

I have a Spectrum HD TV. I recently cancelled my Direct so I have been trying to use my Roku. The TV continues to show no signal floating around on the screen. Please help.

34 Joseph April 29, 2017 at 9:28 pm

I have a Veon 32 inch LCD TV.
I moved to a new house and I still have a no signal on the screen.
It’s like I’ve lost all my channels.
I have retuned it multiple times.
I’ve switched sources and everything and it still doesn’t work.

35 Writer Geek April 28, 2017 at 3:12 am

Turn off TV, unhook cable from outlet, wait 60 seconds, plug it back in. Remove all TV remote batteries then start clicking all buttons including the back of VIZIO remote, click all buttons, even better to click all twice, do the same on Cable remote, click all buttons once or twice, put batteries back, turn TV & cable on and everything would be back to mormal, as if nothing happened.

36 Alan Thomson April 28, 2017 at 12:31 am

My LG TV in the bedroom goes off with a “No Signal” message at exactly 01:08 every morning.
It is not a signal loss as other TV’s still work at this time.
There is an RF loop through from a BT Vision box which if bridged out makes the TV show a picture very briefly then goes back to No Signal or shows a very poor picture for a moment then goes to No Signal.
There are no regular ‘off times’ set in the menus and nothing to suggest why this is happening.
I’m assuming it’s some kind of software/programming issue but updates have not solved it.
If we switch the Youview on, the TV works perfectly via the HDMI input.

37 Stacey Jordan April 27, 2017 at 11:21 am

I have tried everything.
It still comes up no signal.
I even hooked another TV up and it works.
The model #e422va.

38 nnn1000 April 29, 2017 at 10:14 pm

For My VIZIO
To Fix VIZIO No Signal
When TV OFF
Hold Down 2 Buttons MENU + INPUT
Power will ON
Change INPUT quickly within 3 Sec.
To HDMI or Others

39 Liz April 24, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Tried everything. My panasonic tv still says no signal. Just moved to a new flat so maybe the aerial has a problem.What do you think?

40 Kenya April 24, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I’ve done steps 1-4 and still I have a no signal! What should I do ? Could it be my tv? It was working fine earlier! I’ve called the cable company and walked through everything with them and still nothing!

41 Michael Rylaarsdam April 23, 2017 at 10:20 pm

Yesterday my Vizio 55″ LCD suddenly displayed “no signal” figured it was the cable box (U-verse), but none of my inputs are getting any signal either (boy ray, Apple TV, fire stick). Definitely seems like a tv issue but I don’t know what to try?

42 Sangay dema April 23, 2017 at 1:20 pm

I still have no signal on TV screen after I have followed the above mentioned step.
So now what I have to do in order to get signal?
Do I need to tilted the dish or else what I have to do?

DIY Project Help Tips 43 DIY Project Help Tips April 24, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Sangay dema,
Yes try moving the DISH and make sure it is pointing in the correct direction.
Be sure no trees or other objects are blocking the DISH.
The DISH needs a “CLEAR” view of the sky.

44 Sandy R April 13, 2017 at 10:49 pm

The power went out here for about 3 seconds, but when the cable came back on it showed NO SIGNAL on the TV.
I tried the steps above to remedy the situation, but to no avail.
Is there anything else I can try?

DIY Project Help Tips 45 DIY Project Help Tips April 13, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Sandy R,
What is the model number of the TV you have?
Also, what cable company do you have and what is the cable box model number?

46 Mila Devlin March 19, 2017 at 5:35 am

After setting up PEEL REMOTE on my Vizio Smart TV, it started saying no signal. TV turns on but no signal, can’t use my TV remote either after foolishly setting up from my Android smart phone the Peel remote on my Vizio TV. I followed all the suggested troubleshooting guide but to no avail.

47 Melissa Stevenson March 14, 2017 at 9:08 am

My dogs knocked my box off the tv while i was gone today.
Everything is plugged in still.
But the card was ajar.
Not clicked in securely.
It comes on but white channel with lines.
What can I do to fix this?

DIY Project Help Tips 48 DIY Project Help Tips March 14, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Melissa Stevenson,
Are you talking about a SAT box that is damaged?

49 D. P. March 12, 2017 at 1:52 am

Vision tv. Mediacom cable. HDMI-2 works fine on the main tv and also in the bedroom. However HDMI-1 says no signal. Tried everything that I’ve read. ie. connections. Resetting tv. Etc. Even dealt with mediacom agent. Nothing. Help!

50 Franc March 5, 2017 at 5:56 am

I have LG LED SMART DIGITAL TV About every month I lose all signal on 7.9.10.sbs network except on ABC network.

51 Rob February 20, 2017 at 6:50 pm

I am having issues with my tv monitor. I have 2 computer monitors and 1 tv all hooked up to eachother. Everything was working fine until i plugged in a new controller. Now the tv says no signal. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but that does not seem to help. Any suggestions?

52 Ofelia March 4, 2017 at 7:49 am

E52 No Signal that’s my issue

53 Kelly February 17, 2017 at 11:53 am

I have just moved into a house and I have tried setting up my tv and hd set top box, and I keep getting no signal, I have brought a indoor antenna and I still can’t get it 2 work, I have got the hdmi cable connected into the right spots, I have put the antenna part into the wall socket and into the tv but still getting no signal. Someone suggested a booster cable but I’ve never heard of it and don’t know where I would get 1 from.

54 Judy Reynolds February 1, 2017 at 7:17 pm

My TV is hooked up to cable and works fine but, when I switch it to air channels, it takes 40 minutes to come on. It says no signal, but after 40 minutes it comes on. When I turn it on and hit source HDMI, it comes on right away, but when I hit source and it’s air channels, it takes 40 minutes to come on. It gets no signal for 40 minutes. Is my TV going out?

55 Debby January 29, 2017 at 5:34 pm

I have a Polaroid TV, just had cable hooked up! “NO SIGNAL” had tech come back out to check cable (dish) installed correctly, still “NO SIGNAL”. I do not have the TV remote so I am in a quandary! What do I do?

56 Dina awadallah January 27, 2017 at 2:23 pm

My tv says no signal but there is sound from each channel. Everything is plugged in properly . Just don’t know what it could be

57 Piper January 23, 2017 at 1:06 pm

New rca…can’t get the screen off weak or no signal…pls help

58 Geraldine Reynolds December 15, 2016 at 4:43 am

My PlayStation 3 comes on but to put it back on the For Television to play, it has No Signal, I pressed the SOURCE to get an internet connection and it would not change. What Do I Do? Do I unplug everything and then plug everything back.

59 paul December 12, 2016 at 4:11 am

My LG tv still says no signal no matter what I do.
I was having trouble with the hard drive freezing and turning tv off after making a ticking sound every 3 seconds and wont let me change the channel.
If I play recorded tv I have no sound.
I also have no signal on any other components.

60 Sharon December 10, 2016 at 2:54 pm

My lg tv goes on after ten minutes of watching it it comes up no signal what is problem

61 Petra70 December 3, 2016 at 7:39 pm

We have a fairly old (2008) Daewoo LCD flatscreen tv – which has worked pretty well, until this morning.
Problem: It will not stay on the HDMI channel.
When HDMI is selected the tv seems to switch off and then come on again to the ”no signal” message.
We use a Virgin Media Tivo box which is the ONLY source for the TV – via the HDMI input port.
Normally . . . When the tv is first switched on, we get the ”no signal” message, and have to scroll through the multimedia channels with the tv remote until HDMI is reached, and then and only then can the signal from the Tivo can be watched.
We also have a dvd player plugged into the tv via scart lead on channel AV1.
AV1 and AV2 channels will also cause the tv to switch off (red light on… flashes… then green) and be back at the ”no signal” message.

DIY Project Help Tips 62 DIY Project Help Tips December 6, 2016 at 1:49 am

Petra70,
Sounds like the TV may have an issue with a loose/faulty HDMI cable, the HDMI connections in the TV are shot or a circuit board issue.
You may just simply have a loose wire or a faulty HDMI cable.
Check to be sure the cables are secure, not damaged, and none of the connections are bent (on cables and TV).
Have you tried switching cables and components?
Are the cables connected correctly?

63 Petra70 December 6, 2016 at 9:33 am

Hi RR,
Many, many thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, our old Daewoo died a death by the following morning.
Nothing would work when she was turned on.
No lights on the front nothing – so – she has gone to the big tv graveyard ”in the sky”.
Since replaced by a Samsung series 6 tv.

64 Rosalie November 17, 2016 at 4:55 am

After setting up omgtv, All HDMI plug I tried, it says “no signal. The tv is working but not the HDMIs

DIY Project Help Tips 65 DIY Project Help Tips November 17, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Rosalie,
Try a new HDMI cable.
Be sure the component the HDMI cable is connected to is ON.

66 Liz November 7, 2016 at 9:50 am

I accidentally pressed down on my hard disc remote which I use to access my freeveiw channels. Since then (last night ) I can’t get my TV channels on the screen keeps saying to check my antenna. and I can’t get my channels working. I don’t know what I’d pressed on to lose the TV channels can you help ?

67 Kelly Christy November 5, 2016 at 4:26 pm

OMG! It worked without calling the cable company!! THANK YOU!!

68 sachin ahire October 26, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I had Mitashi led TV. I had lost my led remote. And on my led getting msg No signal. I had check my set up box. It get red and yellow light but no Channel will start.

69 Colleen October 5, 2016 at 3:28 pm

I have a Sharp LED TV. I have no signal and I have tried everything you suggested. Except getting a new HDMI cord. When I first turn the tv on with the remote it says, analog 7.0 what does that mean? And also I have the no signal box on my screen. My tv was working fine and in the middle of a program I lost my connection. I don’t have cable tv. I have an antenna. Can you help?

DIY Project Help Tips 70 DIY Project Help Tips October 6, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Colleen,
Have you tried checking that the TV antenna wires are secure, tight, not damaged, and the antenna is in the correct place?
Was the antenna moved?
Do you have the TV in the correct INPUT?
The TV needs to be set on ANTENNA when you cycle through the INPUTS.
Try everything above and then run a CHANNEL SCAN for the ANTENNA not cable.

What type of TV ANTENNA do you have?
The newer flat small HDTV antenna or the older large roof antenna?
Let us know if you get the Sharp LED TV working.

71 Tricia September 17, 2016 at 4:00 am

Thank you – My TV, just by unplugging and replugging the cables on the Internet box, it fixed the problem.

72 Nora September 10, 2016 at 10:59 am

Used my TV last night and it was in perfect condition. This morning, the audio on cable’s working but no video… It’s saying No signal.
However, the Dvd input (AV1) is working and in perfect condition. I’ve tried everything including all the steps listed but the cable input won’t work.
Please, what do i do?

DIY Project Help Tips 73 DIY Project Help Tips September 10, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Nora,
You may have a bad coax cable wire causing the issue.
If not then possibly your cable company was simply having issues at that time.
Have you checked it recently. Does the issue still exist?

Try replacing the cable from the cable box to the TV.
Try resetting the cable box.
Try resetting the TV to factory default setting.

74 Wendy August 29, 2016 at 10:39 pm

I have both a Vizio and a Samsung smart tv that do not recognize the Roku Streaming Stick. I get ” no signal”. I have tried the troubleshooting steps listed above. Help please.

75 Mari August 23, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I have a TCL tv. It turns on. Image and audio ok but in less than 5 mins the no signal message appears. Prob for couple of weeks now. Cable box was changed. A friend checked it out this morning. Started working fine. Turned it on again now and same problem.

76 KC August 7, 2016 at 5:07 pm

I have a Vizio, approx 8 years old. 6 days ago lighting struck and ever since this TV shows “no signal”. I have tried everything and even tech support and new satellite box. Computer will not connect either thru HDMI. Does this most likely mean the TV is shot?

77 Pete July 12, 2016 at 3:42 am

My TV still has picture and volume, but still have the “no signal message” box in the middle of my TV. I have tried to do all the suggestions above but it won’t go away.

DIY Project Help Tips 78 DIY Project Help Tips July 12, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Pete,
What component are you trying to connect and watch on the TV?
Have you made sure the cable or cables are not damaged?
Try using new cables to connect the component to your TV.
What is the model number of your TV?

79 Bijaya June 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm

I have an LG TV. Shows no signal message. Tried everything suggested by you. How do I get the picture back?

DIY Project Help Tips 80 DIY Project Help Tips June 7, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Bijaya,
The No Signal message means that the TV isn’t getting any input from the currently selected source.
1. Check the label of the Input port (if you have many connected, make sure you follow the wires from the device to the TV to make sure you’re looking for the correct one)
2. If your Remote has an Input/Source button, press it and choose the input from the list that matches where your device is connected.
(If your Inputs have labels click All Inputs to see the Port numbers)