Fridge Is Warm Freezer Is Cold – How To Fix

If your freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm, here are some tips to DIY. First of all, read the manual and inspect the refrigerator. There can be a variety of reasons your freezer is cold and the fridge is warm. You may need to do some easy troubleshooting to find the problem. These tips will show you what to check yourself. Parts and components may need to be cleaned and replaced. Most parts on a refrigerator can be purchased online at reasonable prices. Save money and fix your fridge yourself! The first thing to do is to make sure nothing is blocking the air vent in the back of your freezer.

fridge warm freezer cold

Common reasons a fridge is warm and freezer is cold:
1. Over packed or overfilled freezer blocking air flow
2. Evaporator fan is bad and needs replaced
3. Frost blocking airflow
4. Freezer area needs to be cleaned
5. Defrost system faulty

Looking for refrigerator parts with fast delivery and cheap prices? Find OEM Refrigerator Replacement Parts here.

Most refrigerators use a fan to move the cold air in the freezer into the evaporator and then push it into the fridge compartment to keep it cool. The evaporator fan is usually behind the back wall of the freezer compartment area. This is what pushes cold air into your refrigerator section to keep it cool. If piles of boxed frozen foods or something is interfering with the air flow in the freezer, you can have a warm fridge compartment.

evaporator motor for refrigeratorEvaporator motor for refrigerator
This is what blows cold air into your fridge from the freezer

If your fridge and or freezer is overstuffed, the cold air cannot circulate. The air needs to be able to move freely to circulate and keep items cool. If you have an over stuffed or dirty fridge/freezer, clean it out, throw some old food away, and rearrange the shelves so the air can flow. Once the items are not blocking the air flow, it should take an hour or two to get back down to the proper temperature.

location of evap coils and fan in freezerLocation of evap coils and fan in freezer

Be sure to check the circulation fans and be sure you can hear them running. But remember, if any of the parts of the fridge defrosting system fails, your freezer may ice up. This will cause your freezer to seem cold but your fresh food section is too hot. So you may have to do some troubleshooting as to what part has failed. As stated above, the evaporator fan is most likely the faulty part. The methods given on this page will work for side-by-side refrigerators also.

To test to see if your fridge has a defrost issue…
1 – Unplug your refrigerator
2 – Leave the freezer door open for at least 12 hours
3 – Be sure floor of the freezer is no longer cold to touch
4 – Plug the refrigerator back in
5 – If the fridge seems to be working properly about 30 to 45 minutes after plugging it in, it is probably a defrost issue causing your problem

How to fix a warm fridge – freezer frozen

If you know of another reason a fridge would be warm while the freezer is cold, please leave a comment below to assist our other readers.

1 Kirti rathod August 22, 2017 at 11:17 am

My fridge company expert told me that a part needs to be replaced which is called plate center i am not sure what is he talking about if any one else knows any thing let me know or I will update once my fridge starts working fine.

2 Nonkululeko July 19, 2017 at 10:19 am

The information in this website is so useful. However, my Samsung fridge is still warm and the freezer is working perfectly. I have called out an ‘expert’. the fridge was working fine for only 1 week and went back to square 1. I called him again, it was working fine for a week and back again. This is really frustrating. I bought this fridge in 2014 and I don’t keep a lot food as I’m staying alone.

3 Heri Brahim June 3, 2017 at 5:15 pm

I’ve just got the problem and after reading this “Tips”, solved and the fridge cooling again.
Thanks

4 Jim March 31, 2017 at 12:46 am

My Samsung side by side, freezer is cold but fridge is warm.
This is the second time, I took it apart and thawed it and it worked fine for a month and I noticed then the fan still worked then but this time even after I replaced it and the temp sensor just in case the fan never kicked on?

5 Ambrose March 18, 2017 at 6:29 am

My LG fridge frezer is work and fridge is worm i even changed the frostor senser

6 Melissa March 5, 2017 at 1:12 am

Thank you! I think your website led to me inadvertently fixing my fridge! The fridge was warm, the freezer was cold, the carrots in the crisper drawer were FROZEN! We emptied out the fridge to the cold garage and our hearts sank at the cost of buying a new fridge or waiting until Monday for a repair. After reading your information, I pulled out the drawers thinking maybe something fell behind, causing a circulation blockage. No blockage, but the air where the drawers were was COLD! Then I remembered the other day I had opened a drawer, it got stuck and when I pulled it hard, the panel that keeps the crisper drawer settings popped off and I had to jimmy them to get it to go back on. Sure enough, that drawer was set close to max! I’ve set both drawers to min and fully expect to see a return to normal airflow. Assume success if you don’t hear from me!

7 Gloria March 3, 2017 at 3:59 am

LG side by side model #LG GC-J237AGNV, the lights are ok but the freezer is cold but not freezing and the fridge is warm.

8 Paul prudhomme September 19, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Check element, if ok, thermoswitch is no good, check for continuity.

9 Wooly August 3, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Water under unit, fan working, evaporator tray (above compressor) empty.
Freezer very cold (compressor working hard), Fridge warm.

Cause: Water not draining away from internal drip tray after defrost cycle due to blockage.

Solution: Manual defrost, remove inner panels to expose large amount of ice that stops/restricts airflow to cool fridge.
Once defrosted empty inner drip tray, squirt a little bleach kitchen cleaner into tray.
Remove tray above compressor to expose outlet.
Carefully use a small soft flexible piece of wire to poke up outlet to move sludge.
Flush thoroughly.
Reassemble and unit works perfectly.

10 Brye February 8, 2017 at 8:13 am

where is the internal drip tray? and are you removing inner panels from the fridge or the freezer? thanks.

11 lisa white June 28, 2015 at 7:18 pm

One thing not listed is the sulfur from well water gets in the air and eats away at the copper pipes, so the freon leaks and the system is polluted with sulfur… NOT covered by warranty and not a DIY fix. We’ve gone through three fridges this way, plus two brand-new ones that had bad motors straight from the store.

DIY Project Help Tips 12 DIY Project Help Tips June 29, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Lisa White,
Water filters would solve your issue.