You may need to reset a GE dishwasher resulting from a power outage or a fault. Resetting a dishwasher is a process that can be done in a few different ways. We will show you 6 ways to reset your dishwasher and provide some troubleshooting tips.
You can reset your GE dishwasher using one of these methods…
- Unplugging the dishwasher
- Pressing key buttons on the control panel
- Deactivating control lock
- Running the drain cycle
- Remove power at breaker
- Use service mode
1. Unplugging the dishwasher
The first method for resetting your GE dishwasher is to unplug it from the power source. The main control board will be reset, which should eliminate any issues or errors that have been leading to the dishwasher not working properly.
To do this, locate the plug for your dishwasher and unplug it from the outlet. Leave the plug unplugged from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. This will give the control board enough time to reset. Once you have plugged it back in, try running a cycle to see if the reset worked. Some control panels on a GE dishwasher may need longer to reset. This means leaving the appliance unplugged for a few hours if needed.
2. Using the control panel
If unplugging the dishwasher doesn’t work, you can try resetting it using the control panel.
1. Press the “Start/Reset” button on the control panel and hold it down for about 5 seconds.
2. Release the button once the light goes out. This indicates that the dishwasher has been reset.
3. Select a new cycle and start the dishwasher to see if the reset worked.
3. Control lock is turned on
If your GE dishwasher has a control lock feature, it may have accidentally been turned on, preventing any buttons from working. To turn off the control lock, simply press and hold the “Control Lock” button or “Heated Dry” button (depending on your model) for 3-5 seconds until the light turns off.
4. Run a drain cycle
Sometimes, simply running a drain cycle can help reset your GE dishwasher. To do this, press the “Start/Reset” button and select the “Drain” cycle.
5. Turning off power at breaker
If both of these methods fail, you can try turning off power to your dishwasher at the circuit breaker. Here’s how:
1. Locate your home’s circuit breaker panel and find the switch that controls power to your dishwasher.
2. Flip the switch to “Off” and wait for about 5 minutes.
3. Flip the switch back to “On” and try running a cycle to see if the reset worked.
6. Use service mode to reset
If none of the above methods work, you may need to enter service mode to reset your GE dishwasher. GE dishwashers have a service mode that can be turned on to reset your dishwasher. The manual associated with the dishwasher provides instructions on how to use the appliance in a service-related capacity. The manual is typically located near the valve that allows water to flow into the dishwasher.
In order to activate dishwasher service mode, hold down the Select Cycle and Start buttons together for five seconds. Then to reset, press the Select Cycle button once more for five seconds, causing the lock button light to turn on. After this, press the Select Cycle button for five seconds. Press the Start button for five more seconds and it should flash. Lastly, press the Start and Select Cycle buttons for another five seconds, and the dishwasher control panel should illuminate and reset.
GE Dishwasher Service Mode
If none of these methods work to reset, there may be a more serious issue with your GE dishwasher. Here are some troubleshooting tips to help you identify and fix any problems.
1. Check the power source. Make sure your dishwasher is properly plugged in and that the outlet is working.
2. Inspect the door latch. If the dishwasher isn’t starting, it may be because the door latch isn’t engaging properly. Make sure it’s closed and latched securely.
3. Check the water supply. If there’s no water entering the dishwasher, it won’t be able to run. Check that the water supply valve is open and that there are no kinks in the hose.
Need help? Please provide the model number of your GE dishwasher in the comment section and we can assist you with its repair.