LG washing machines have a lock to keep the door closed when it’s not safe to open. This is to stop people from opening if the machine gets too hot or has too much water. But if something goes wrong such as a power outage or you need to get your clothes out, you can unlock the door.
This guide explains how to unlock an LG washing machine door, both front load and top loading models. We will explain the reasons behind the locking issue, and the step-by-step solutions to fix it.
The solutions provided in this guide apply to a variety of LG washing machine models, including but not limited to: Front Load Models: WM3500CW, WM3700HWA, WM3900HWA, WM8100HVA, WM9000HVA, and WM9500HKA. Top Loading Models: WT7300CW, WT7800CW, WT7900HBA, WT7100CW, and WT7600HKA.
Remember to use caution when opening a locked washer door. Water can be inside and leak onto the floor. These unlocking methods are for when the washer is finished with the wash load and are drained of water.
LG Washer Door Lock Explained
LG washing machines, both front load and top loading, are equipped with a variety of features designed to make laundry a hassle-free task. Some models have a child lock switch feature to prevent children from accidentally turning on the machine. Others have a door lock feature that secures the door during operation to prevent water from spilling out.
These features can sometimes cause issues. For instance, the child lock or door lock may get activated unintentionally, preventing you from opening the machine. This guide will provide you with practical methods to unlock your LG washing machine and resume your laundry tasks.
Why Is My LG Washing Machine Locked?
There are several reasons why your LG washing machine may get locked. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Child Lock Activation: This feature is designed to prevent children from accidentally operating the machine. However, it can sometimes get activated unintentionally, causing the machine to lock.
- Door Lock Error: This error occurs when the washing machine’s door fails to unlock after completion of the wash cycle.
- Mechanical Issues: Mechanical issues, such as a faulty door latch or a problem in the control panel, can also cause the machine to get locked.
How To Unlock LG Washing Machine Front Load?
If you have a front load LG washing machine that is locked, follow these steps:
- Deactivate Child Lock: If the child lock feature is activated, it can be deactivated by pressing and holding the “Pre-Wash” button for three seconds.
- Full Power Reset: If the machine is still locked, try performing a power reset. Unplug the machine from the power source, wait for a minute, and then plug it back in. This can help reset the machine’s control panel and solve the locking issue.
- Manual Unlock: Some LG front load washing machine models have a manual unlock feature. This involves removing the top cover of the machine and pulling a manual release ring, which unlocks the door.
How To Unlock LG Washing Machine Top Load?
Unlocking a top loading LG washing machine involves similar steps:
- Deactivate the Child Lock: On top loading models, the child lock can be deactivated by pressing and holding the “Soil Level” button for three seconds.
- Power Reset: If the machine remains locked, perform a power reset as described earlier.
- Manually Unlock: Some top loading models also have a manual unlock feature. However, this involves removing the front or rear panels of the machine to access the manual release mechanism.
How To Manually Open An LG Front Load Washer Door?
Using the manual release lever can come in handy in certain situations:
Power outage: If there’s a sudden power outage while your LG washer is running, unlocking it using this method allows you to retrieve your clothes without waiting for power restoration.
If you are in a situation where you need to manually unlock your washer: You need to locate and access the manual release lever on your LG front load washer. This lever is usually located near the bottom of the machine, behind a small panel or cover. It might be labeled as “Manual Release” or have an icon indicating its purpose. To access it, follow these steps:
- Make sure your washing machine is unplugged for safety reasons.
- Look for a small panel at the bottom of the front side of your washer.
- Remove any screws or clips securing this panel in place.
- Once removed, you should see the manual release lever behind it.
- Take hold of the manual release lever firmly but gently.
- Pull or push (depending on its orientation) on the lever with enough force to disengage the door lock mechanism.
- As you manipulate the lever, listen for a click or feel for resistance releasing.
- Once you hear/feel it unlocking, give a gentle tug on the door handle to open it.
Always exercise caution when using force while manipulating the manual release lever to prevent damage.
What LG Washing Machine Error Codes Can Lock The Door?
When your LG washing machine encounters a door lock issue, it often displays an error code on its control panel. These error codes serve as indicators to help you identify the specific problem with the door lock mechanism. By understanding what these error codes mean, you can quickly diagnose the issue and take appropriate action.
LG washing machines may lock the door due to several error codes. These include:
- DE or DE1: Door Error. This means the washing machine’s door is open or not locked properly.
- OE: Drain Error. This error signifies an issue with the draining system, which might cause the machine to lock the door to prevent leaks.
- FE: Over Flow Error. This error occurs when too much water is filling the machine, and it may lock the door to avoid water spilling out.
- PE: Pressure Sensor Error. If the machine is having trouble sensing the water level, it may lock the door.
Once you have identified the specific error code related to your LG washer’s door lock issue, it’s time to troubleshoot and resolve it. Here are some techniques you can try:
- Check for any obstructions: Inspect the area around the door seal and remove any foreign objects that might be preventing proper closure.
- Clean the latch: Over time, dirt and debris can accumulate on the latch mechanism, hindering its operation. Use a soft cloth dampened with mild detergent to clean it thoroughly.
- Reset the machine: Sometimes, simply resetting your LG washer can resolve minor glitches causing door lock problems.
Please remember that troubleshooting your washing machine should always be performed with care. If you’re unsure or uncomfortable performing these steps, it’s always best to consult with a professional appliance repair technician.