Samsung Refrigerator Display Blinking – Dash or Line Shows On Panel

Does your Samsung Refrigerator Blink, Flash, or shows small Lines and Dashes on the LED display? When your Samsung refrigerator display starts blinking or a line or a dash on the display is shown, this means there is an error within the refrigerator. The lines or dashes will tell you what error you have and that will lead you to which part you will need to replace or test. The images below will show you what each line or dash means. It shows the numbers of each line so you can pinpoint the error. Use the chart below and the explanation list below to find out what error code your Samsung refrigerator is identifying.

Samsung Refrigerator Display Blinking - Dash or Line Showing On Panel

Note: Sometimes an error code identification which tells you a certain part is faulty may simply mean the wiring harness is damaged, loose or the control board itself is causing the error. Troubleshoot with the guides below and you will find what is causing the error on your Samsung refrigerator. You can then order your Samsung refrigerator part yourself and install it yourself to save money.

Samsung refrigerators with this LED display panel are equipped with on-board diagnostic systems. If the diagnostic system detects an error, it will display a specific line segment on your refrigerators LED display. When the refrigerator is initially plugged in it will go through a self diagnostic check for the various sensors and functions.

If the common Samsung refrigerator error code “PC Er” or 88 88 or O FF or OF OF appears or you had a power outage or surge, click for complete detailed troubleshooting.

Samsung Refrigerator Display Blinking Dash Line Error Explanation

Samsung Refrigerator Display Blinking Dash Line Error Explanation

The following blinking dash line error code explanation list comes directly from the Samsung Refrigerator manual…

Samsung Refrigerator Blinking Display Panel:
The digital display will blink when the temperature rises quickly.
When the refrigerator and freezer reach the set temperature then the blinking will stop.
The temperature display panel will also blink if the refrigerator is reset.
When the refrigerator and freezer reach the set temp, the blinking stops.
If the blinking does not stop, unplug the refrigerator for about 30 seconds to reset the processor.
If the display still blinks it may indicate a problem within the freezer.
(The most common reasons are a failure of the cooling system or a failure in the defrost circuits)

Samsung Refrigerator Display Error Line Segment LED

Samsung Refrigerator Display Error Line Segment LED

Samsung Refrigerator Display Line Definitions Check List

Samsung Refrigerator Display Line Definitions Check List

1. Ice Maker Sensor:
Ice Maker sensor connector missing, contact failure, electric wire cut, short-circuit, Ice Maker sensor failure.
Indicates an error when the temperature sensed by Ice Maker sensor is higher than 150 or lower than –58.

2. Refrigerator Sensor:
Refrigerator sensor connector missing, contact failure, electric wire cut, short circuit, Refrigerator sensor failure.
Indicate Error when the temperature sensed by Refrigerator sensor is higher than 150 or lower than –58.

3. Refrigerator Defrost Sensor:
Refrigerator evaporator internal defrosting sensor connector missing, contact failure, electric wire cut, short-circuit, sensor itself failure.
Indicate Error when the temperature sensed by Refrigerator defrosting sensor is higher than 150 or lower than –58.

4. Refrigerator Fan Error:
Refrigerator Fan motor operation failure, feedback signal line contact failed, electric wire cut, short circuit.
Indicates an error if the F and G signals generated by the FAN-motor operation are not input.

5. Ice Maker Function Error:
Ice ejector and level failed three times or more.

6. Cool Select Zone Sensor:
Cool Select Zone sensor connector missing, contact failed, electric wire cut, short-circuit, CoolSelect Zone sensor itself failed.
Indicates an error when the temperature sensed by Cool Select Zone sensor is higher than 150 or lower than –58.

7. Refrigerator Defrost Error:
In the refrigerator if frost removal mode is finished due to limited time of 80 minutes.
Error is displayed.

8. Exit Sensor:
Air sensor connector missing; contact failure, electric wire cut, short-circuit, open air sensor itself failure.
Indicates an Error when the temperature sensed by the open air sensor is higher than 150 or lower than –58.

9. Freezer Sensor:
Freezer sensor connector missing, contact failed, electric wire cut, short-circuit, Freezer Room sensor itself failure.
Indicates Error when the temperature sensed by Freezer sensor is higher than 150 or lower than –58.

10. Freezer Defrost Error:
Freezer evaporator defrosting sensor connector missing, contact failed, electric wire cut, short- circuit, sensor itself failure.
Indicates an error when the temperature sensed by Freezer defrosting sensor is higher than 150 or lower than –58.

11. Freezer Fan Error:
Freezer Fan motor operation failure, feedback signal line contact failure, motor’s electric wire missing.
Indicates Error if the F and G signals generated by the FAN-motor operation are not input.

12. Condenser Fan Error:
Condenser Fan motor operation failure, feedback signal line contact failure, motor’s electric wire missing.
Indicates an error if the F and G signals generated by the FAN- motor operation are not input.

13. Freezer Defrost Error:
In the freezer room, if frost removal mode is finished due to limited time of 70 minutes.
Error is displayed.

Samsung Refrigerator OEM Replacement Parts

Samsung Refrigerator OEM Replacement Parts

Here are the official pages for Samsung French Door Refrigerator Support, Samsung Side By Side Refrigerator Support, Samsung Four Door Refrigerator Support, Samsung Four Door Flex Support, and Samsung Bottom Freezer Support.

NOTE: Samsung refrigerator display panel error codes and the lines and dashes you may see are for french door side by side model numbers RSE8KPAS, RF26XAERS, RF26XAZRS/XAA, RSG257AARS/XAA, RF265ABBP/XAA, RF4287HA, RSH1DTPE, RS7567, RF4287HA, RB195ZASH, RS2533SW, RE267TD, RF4267HA, RSE8JPAS, SRS691GDIS, B217ABPN, RF4287HARS, RSG307AARS, RS255BASB, RF263AEPN, RF26AERS, RS267TDRS, RF267, RF-4287HARS, RS261MDWP, RS267LBSH, RF268ABBP, RS265TDBP, RSG257AARS, RF265ABWP, RF267AARS, RSG5UCRS, RF 266AEBP, RSH1DTPE, RF4287, RB195ACBP, 298 series, RF263BE, RSG5DUMH, RS265TDRS, RF4287HARS, and many others.

Have a question about a dash, line or blinking on your Samsung Refrigerator Display Panel? Please leave a comment below and we will be happy to assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

1 Gerry Rodriguez July 8, 2017 at 7:46 pm

We have a Samsung RF4287HARS 2-French door/2-drawer refrigerator.
The Control panel on the door is not displaying all the functions, i. e., energy saver, water, ice symbols do not illuminate on the panel.
The ice dispenser only dispenses water.
We replaced the ice maker and still no ice.
We believe we now need to replace the motherboard.
Any advice on resolving problem with panel symbols not lighting, before we spend more dollars on parts we might not need.

2 Lichelle June 18, 2017 at 6:59 am

The light option on the ice maker keeps turning off and on. And keeps making the on off noise fir atleast 10mins. The noise is driving me crazy. How do i stop it? I’ve tried turning it on and off for its self diagnosticz. But that does not work either. The usual lights come on and the on and off noise starts again. For ages. Please help???

3 Duane reynolds June 10, 2017 at 3:17 pm

I have a Samsung model rs261mdbp and the third light from bottom on the freezer cold to coldest is blinking all the time and freezer stays at 20 degrees

4 Mark Williams June 10, 2017 at 12:33 pm

I have 2 blinking lines on the control panel of a Samsung rf217 refrigerator and freezer seem to be working fine

5 jem June 9, 2017 at 8:13 pm

I have a single dash blinking on panel neither fridge or freezer are worker on Samsung fridge

6 Chris June 9, 2017 at 8:18 am

My Samsung RSH7ZNRS is showing on the Display the code: 27 E can someone help please, cause i can’t find this code!

7 Riley June 6, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Samsung Refrigerator rf220nctabc 2 door.
The second light on the fridge temperature indicator is blinking.
All of the buttons are unresponsive.

8 Beth A June 2, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I have a Samsung refrigerator model RH29H9000. It suddenly quit working, neither the refrigerator or freezer are cooling, the display is completely blank so I can’t get any error codes, and the interior lights don’t come on when we open the doors. There are two LEDs in the ice dispenser compartment that blink about once per second. We had Samsung send a repair man out, he diagnosed the CVR dispenser (the entire front display and ice/water dispenser), it was going to take them 10 days to get the part, so I found the part elsewhere and installed it but the refrigerator still won’t work. When I plug it in, I don’t hear anything trying to start up, no clicking, no humming, nothing. Has anyone had this issue? Without any error codes, I don’t know where to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what and how to diagnose this problem? I’ve been without a fridge for nearly two weeks and Samsung says it will be another week before they can send someone else.

9 Tim Sniegowski June 2, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Freezer not working, once a week for a month it would stop working and playing around with it would work again.
Most of the time it would show an incorrect temp on display.
Has not worked for about 5 days, now showing an error code 8.
What is an exit sensor?
Seems to me that one or both fans are not running.
A little bit of ice on the some of the vents.

10 Deirdre May 28, 2017 at 5:24 pm

RF28K9070SR Samsung 4 door fridge…
Fridge was not cooling and after unplugging overnight it is giving error code msg 40 E and 91 E.

11 Kaitlyn May 27, 2017 at 12:56 pm

I have a Samsung side by side model number RS263TD.
The fridge section stopped cooling.
I removed everything and saw ice in the bottle and back, so I unplugged it to let it defrost.
I have just plugged it back in and the control panel has a bar blinking.
It doesn’t have a digital display to show, just the bars to indicate coldness in the fridge and freezer.
The blinking bar is on the fridge side, 3rd one from the bottom. What does this mean?

DIY Project Help Tips 12 DIY Project Help Tips May 29, 2017 at 12:25 am

Kaitlyn,
Give you refrigerator some time to allow it to get cool (if you JUST plugged it in).
If after 6 hours the display is still not working or showing the temp, then there may be an issue.
Let us know what you find.

13 Ann Waggoner May 20, 2017 at 4:02 pm

When I plug my refrigerator in the display is blank except for a flashing blue line or a 1 all the way to the right of the display. My freezer also has periodically started getting warmer inside (like it stopped cooling) but the display is still showing its at 0. If I unplug at that point and hold down on the power freeze and power cool buttons the display comes back up. Right now I have my freezer set at 0 and it says it’s at 0, but my thermometer inside says it’s -12….Also, when my ice drops, it just crushes…no whole cubes.

14 Robert May 17, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Model 79551312014. Refigerator cooling ok but after several hours the freezer display shows 4 bars and all functions on display will not work unless power is unplugged and plugged back in.

15 Susan May 15, 2017 at 2:38 am

I have a Samsung RF268ABRS/XAA. The door alarm and the water dispenser light goes on and off constantly and none of the reset, temp, ice cubes or crushed ice buttons will work. There is no error code. And I have checked all 3 doors for error. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? This chiming is very annoying!

16 Pat C. May 10, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I have a Samsung RB215ABBP refrigerator and just recently the power panel buttons appear to be stuck and I cannot change anything. I cannot event turn the icemaker to off. Please help. Prior to that the power freeze button kept coming on when I thought I was hitting the icemaker button to off and now the buttons are stuck. Please help. It is overmaking the ice now.

17 Martin Thompson May 1, 2017 at 7:38 am

My Samsung fridge and freezer is not operating, both interior lights operate.
On the control panel the diagnostic code 1 is blinking (top line R/H side).
I’m not sure if I disconnect and then reconnect if the will reset the system.

18 Emma February 5, 2017 at 6:05 am

My Samsung srs584dp fridge temp is flashing and is not cooling, the freezer is fine, not sure what to do?

19 kyle January 26, 2017 at 8:26 pm

I have a Samsung refrigerator model rs26ddaph1xap and it showing a code with lines.
I don’t know what it means, can you help me?
The top line and the 4th line on the freezer side are blinking.

20 Patrick January 18, 2017 at 7:17 pm

My Samsung showcase refrigerator side-by-side is blinking an error code ’23 P’. What does this mean? Should I try to reset the fridge? How best should I try a reset?

21 Dan December 9, 2016 at 5:10 pm

I have a 2011 Samsung RL40PGIH.
The freezer is fine, but fridge part is not getting cold.
I have these diagnostic lights that I managed to get appearing.
Could anyone please offer advice?

22 stuart hotchkiss November 26, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Your site is brilliant – thanks.
I have problems with an RSH1. In Load mode I get the code F10 – a which seems not to exist?
I just replaced the evaporator panel and parts for the fridge deforst and they said to set the defrost temp to 13 (press both top buttons for 17 seconds then wait for 12 seconds with the buttons still pressed. Press fridge to up the right hand display to 13 and freezer to set left hand to 3).
What effect does this have? My fridge is still warm a though it is not cooling or permanently defrosting. Any clues?
thanks for any help

23 elizabeth November 15, 2016 at 7:05 am

On Friday morning, I quickly switched on and off my kitchen lights at the circuit breaker to see if a fuse was tripped since one of my lights in the kitchen was not working and it wasn’t the bulb, it ended up just being a different light switch and everything was ok. Then late Saturday night, I noticed my Samsung side by side refrigerator and freezer would not cool, model number RSG257AARS (purchase date 11/29/2009, serial number B11643CS8025911). I don’t think that my turning on/off circuit breaker briefly and the refrigerator not working are necessarily related events, but wanted to provide you with all the information I can since I did read on the internet that some people had issues with their refrigerator after the lights went off.

Anyway, the lights on my refrigerator and freezer turn on the inside of the unit and work on the outside panel.
The fan in the back near the compressor also works, but compressor seems to be completely silent.
When I push the power freeze and light button to go into diagnostic mode all I get the following code 88 88.
The refrigerator is not in the demo mode, I have unplugged it and then turned it back on and nothing happens and I get the same code.
I also left it unplugged over night and returned on and still nothing changes. When I plug it back on I hear all the relay switches on the control panel turn on, the fan in the back works, and all the light turns on, the refrigerator and freezer just do not cool.
The refrigerator makes a very low hum, but I don’t feel or hear anything from the compressor.
The main control board has everything connected and it does not appear to be burnt out.
After reading your site I pushed the top two buttons (power freeze and lighting) for 8 seconds and while it was blinking pushed Fridge and got the following codes (Based upon my interpretation of the lines/dashes)

According to the codes that means…
F10-A no code found; F10-C sparkling water dispenser operates (I don’t think this is a correct code)
F1A compressor on, F1B Freezer on high, F1 compressor fan on low (yet my compressor doesn’t seem to be working and I don’t hear any fans in the frig or freezer)
R-1 A Fresh food fan high, R1D when 1st plugged in
A few minutes later I did this again to see if I had the same code and I now had
F10 (b or 9) and R-1 d or 4
According to the codes F10 B there is no code
I then reset the refrigerator by pushing the frig and freezer button I now get no codes, but the refrigerator is still not working.
I then unplugged the refrigerator and then got the same codes I got before F10 (A and C or 8 and 10 depending on source you read), F1 (FAB or 8 and 9 (far left upper part of 8 note coded numerically), and R-1 (A and D or 1, 4).

When I called Samsung I was told the issue is with the inverter compressor, but at the time I spoke with them I could only get 88 88 codes. None of the codes that I have reflect that the problems is with the compressor inverter. Although The inverter is under warranty and Samsung will pay to replace it, they won’t pay for labor. The people Samsung uses to repair their appliances get terrible reviews and I cannot afford to spend 200.00 for a technician just to come by to tell me that Samsung was wrong in their diagnosis and now I need to replace something else which is not covered. Especially since I can buy a very similar brand new refrigerator for 950.00 inclusive of delivery and removal of the old refrigerator. So I was hoping someone could assist me and with interpreting the diagnostic codes and what needs to be done or if I should just buy a new refrigerator.

DIY Project Help Tips 24 DIY Project Help Tips November 16, 2016 at 12:12 am

elizabeth,
If you are getting the 88 88 code on your Samsung refrigerator = Reset it by pressing the top left and right buttons on the display and holding them for 10 seconds.

If you unplug the Samsung refrigerator for 5 minutes, plug it back in… What exactly shows on the display?
Is 88 88 still the error code that shows even though you have run through the diagnostics?
It sounds as if the compressor itself OR a capacitor or relay could be the issue.
Have you checked the parts related to the compressor to see if those items are working?
Please let us know.

25 Dean Erickson October 3, 2016 at 2:10 am

I have a 2011 model RS263TDWP/XAA not cooling. Compressor doesn’t seem to start. Clicks three times when first plugged in. little red LED’s are not lit on the board. Cooling temp bars (LED’s) scroll continuously. Push the fridge button for three seconds it appears I can set the temp but after 2 or 3 seconds it goes back to scrolling. Same with the freezer side. Any suggestions?

26 Shawn January 15, 2017 at 3:47 pm

I woke up to the scrolling LED’s. Did you find a solution? I’ve unplugged for 30+ seconds, no luck. Pushed the top two buttons and saw all LED’s turn on flash then go off for about 10 seconds. Then the scrolling continued. Help please 🙂

27 Shawn January 15, 2017 at 3:55 pm

The RS26 has a sales mode which turns off the compressor. To exit sales mode we pressed the lighting and freezer buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. The compressor turned on immediately. Maybe it’s time to use the child lock 🙂

28 Mitch September 26, 2016 at 3:19 am

My fridge’s display is blinking and I unplugged it from the outlet for 30 seconds. When I plugged it back in the fridge’s display stopped blinking but was on 60! How do I get it to cool my food back to 36?

29 deanna September 23, 2016 at 12:46 pm

We noticed inside our Samsung fridge, at the back, ice was collecting. So we unplugged it. After a few hours we plugged it back in. 22-E and 5-E kept flashing until I went online and saw how I could make it stop. But even though it is no longer blinking, the temp of the fridge still only stays at 13, when normally we have it set at 6. I pressed power cool, and power freeze. The freezer cooled down but the fridge has not.

30 Charles C September 1, 2016 at 12:29 am

I have a Samsung refrigerator Model RS261MDRS and it has the led bars on the fridge and freezer and the bottom bar on the fridge side is blinking. I need to know what the code is for that. This happened after a power outage, and I can not get the display to reset.

DIY Project Help Tips 31 DIY Project Help Tips September 1, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Charles C,
When your Samsung refrigerator returns from a power outage the refrigerator may power up properly but the display will show the actual temperature instead of the factory default set temperatures. It will show blinking lights or other abnormalities. When this happens set the refrigerator to Power Cool and Power Freeze modes until the unit returns and the display begins working again. (Hold the 2 top buttons for 5 to 10 seconds and it will reset). Once the display returns to normal and you can program the temp, set everything to the desired operating temperatures. (When the fridge powers back up, it does a self diagnostic check and many times needs to be reset manually)

32 Debra Martin July 28, 2016 at 12:57 am

Our LED display is not lit up, showing one blinking line (3) refrigerator defrost sensor. Can we correct this ourselves by unplugging power source and resetting fridge?

33 Jane C July 4, 2016 at 7:04 pm

We have a Samsung RF268ABRS RF268ACRS/XAA 3 door refrigerator/bottom drawer freezer. The LED on the door is not working correctly for the ice cube/crushed ice/ water display. The indicator light only works for the crushed ice but doesn’t on the other 2 functions, causing us to get water when we want cubed ice and vice versa. There is not an error code display, and the hints about pressing the top two buttons on the corners don’t work for this model.