LG Washing Machine Error Code UE – Top Load Washers

What does UE code mean on LG washing machine? Is your LG top load washer getting the UE error code? There may be a few reasons why the UE error code may display. The UE error code on a top load LG washer display is an indication of an unbalanced load, tub position, or machine not level. Oversized clothing loads, over-filling with blankets or towels, wash loads pushed to one side, tub incorrectly positioned, and the washer not being completely level on the ground can cause the UE error.

LG Top Load Washing Machine UE Error CodeLG Top Load Washing Machine UE Error Code

The UE error code is usually simply remedied by redistributing the clothing and or leveling the washer. The “uE” or “UE” error fault code indicates an unbalanced load. Your LG washing machine will try to rebalance the load when it senses an imbalance. Once the washer senses the overload and or imbalance, the washer will flash “uE”. Your LG washer will try to correct itself 3 times. If the washer is not successful after 3 tries, it will display or flash the UE code. If the error code UE displays, it will require manual assistance to remedy the unbalanced load.

The 3 causes for the UE error code on LG Top Load Washers is the TUB POSITION, WASHER NOT LEVEL, and CLOTHING WEIGHT NOT DISTRIBUTED EVENLY.

1 – Tub Position/Level Washer:
-Be sure the wash tub is in the correct position.
-Open the washer lid and look inside.
-Check the plastic guard to see if it is shown more on one side than the other.

LG washer UE error code - TUB POSITION FIXLG washer UE error code – TUB POSITION FIX

-If the tub is shown more on one side than the other, raise the side to which the tub is leaning.
-This is done by leveling the washers feet on the bottom of the washer.
-To raise the washer, turn the foot clockwise.
-To lower the washer, turn the foot counterclockwise.

LG washer UE error code fix - level the washers feet on the bottom of the washerLG washer UE error code fix – level the washers feet on the bottom of the washer

2 – Clothing Not Balanced or Distributed Evenly:
-Be sure the weight of the clothing inside the washer drum is evenly distributed, not all to one side.
-If the clothing or wash load is all on one side, the uE or UE error fault code will appear.

LG Washer – Top Load Balancing & UE Error
At the beginning of every spin cycle, your LG washer can determine if the wash load is out of balance.
How your washer automatically balances each load and the steps to take if a UE message occurs.

To avoid the UE error code on your top load LG washer:

How to prevent the UE error code for Smaller Wash Loads:
-Add a few smaller items into the washer to distribute the weight more evenly.
-Reduce the spin speed to low or set the washer to no spin on smaller wash loads.

How to prevent the UE error code for Mixed Fabric Loads:
-Wash fabric types that are the same together.
-Wash your shirts with shirts or towels with other towels.

How to prevent the UE error code for Different Types Of Wash Loads:
-Set the washer to bulky or to the large cycle for rugs, towels, sheets, blankets, or pillows.
-Set the washer to reduce the spin speed – Set to low or no spin at all.
-With large items – Redistribute the wash load by hand to prevent the UE code.

NOTE: The LG top load washing machine Smart balance is a known issue and the UE error code will sometimes appear even with no wash load in it. There has been a software update to newer LG top load washers to fix this issue.

Have questions or comments about your LG top loading washing getting the UE error code? Please leave your question below and we will be happy to assist.

1 Tabatha Conkle May 19, 2017 at 7:03 pm

How do I get the update for my lg washer top load?

2 Christine Lentine May 18, 2017 at 6:25 pm

I am so tired of almost every load displaying a UE. Error code even though floor and machine is balanced. This company should take care of this issue. The next machine I purchase will not be from this company of the issue does not get resolved. I shouldn’t have to pay a repair man for issues that are common for this type washer. I paid enough for the set as it is

3 Francis Kolenda May 4, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Service man just replaced all 4 struts on LG Washing Machine and it is still showing unbalanced load error. Ready to toss this machine. Any help is appreciated.

DIY Project Help Tips 4 DIY Project Help Tips May 4, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Francis Kolenda,
Is the LG washer on a level surface?

5 Bill May 3, 2017 at 1:22 am

Same problem here. I called them and they want $285.00 for a service code. Biggest POS I ever bought.

6 Brad April 29, 2017 at 11:17 am

My top load washer has the UE error code every wash. It even does this empty and the washer is level. What else could it be.

7 oguchi Stephen April 6, 2017 at 4:13 pm

My machine displays the error code UE without clothes it, what can I do to stop the error for continuous cycling?

8 Scott March 6, 2017 at 5:42 pm

I get this error when running tub clean. I’m not able to complete a tub clean. And there’s nothing in the tub except water! I checked the center piece as suggested and it looks fine. Not sure what else there is to do.

9 Tim March 6, 2017 at 11:06 pm

You popped the cap off in bottom of tub and checked the screw in bottom??

10 Nancy March 2, 2017 at 11:33 pm

We have the same issue with our top loading LG washer!! Takes forever to finish a load of wash! Come on LG fix these machines for us!

11 Tim March 2, 2017 at 11:29 pm

I was shocked to find that the small bolt under the agitator was loose and this fixed my issue with the UE errors. It really wasn’t even super loose. I was ready to hall it to the LG home office and drop it in the parking lot.

12 sandi raines February 28, 2017 at 8:03 pm

We have the same problem as thousands and thousands of other consumers have complained about. Our LG wt1101cw washer is on a flat concrete floor and perfectly leveled. It doesn’t matter if we have a full load or nothing in the machine at all it keeps refilling and trying to balance a load that is centered perfectly or not even there. This happens every time and it takes two hours and constant resetting to get a load done.
My question to LG is if we replace the ‘out of balance / evaporation sensor’ is it going to finally wash our clothes without incident?

13 Thomas February 27, 2017 at 4:29 am

We are having the same issue with our top load LG washer. We have adjusted and leveled it, tried smaller loads, low or no spin but still having same issue. Is there a known fix for this?

14 Faye beauchamp February 25, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Our washer shows the UE code many many times during each load I try to wash. We have done everything you have suggested but nothing absolutely nothing has worked. Do we need a new sensor?

15 Dorothy January 31, 2017 at 2:02 am

My top loading LG washing machine… every time I wash something I have to make sure it doesn’t keep filling up with water from the UE code.
I actually sit and watch every load when it gets ready to spin.
I can’t wait until the day when I can get another brand of machine.
LG should replace every one of these machines.

16 Jeremy Aller January 30, 2017 at 6:59 pm

I have a top load washer which is only a little over three years old.
UE error code comes up on every load and when there is no load!
Can you please help?

17 Lynda January 29, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Hello my lg washer continues to have UE message and with every load no matter what I washing, towels, sheets, baby clothes or adult clothes it cycles 3 times and then sits until I find it, my water bill has significantly increased. I have leveled the washer I have made sure things are distributed, nothing seems to solve the problem. Very frustrating!

18 Dot January 24, 2017 at 1:07 am

I agree. It should never have been sold in stores. I think we all are going to lose the cost of the washers because they are all going to have to be replaced by another brand by each of us. LG does not want to take the responsibility of replacing these machines.

19 Tina furr January 23, 2017 at 1:49 am

Ue error code the most annoying washing machine I’ve ever used.

20 Greg Heinrich December 21, 2016 at 8:48 pm

I have a customer with model WT4870CW washer that keeps showing the UE error. The serial # is 308PNXL2A818. Does the software need to be reprogrammed?

21 Kelly December 19, 2016 at 7:04 pm

My LG top load washing machine almost always gets the UE error.
Sometimes I remove and reload the wet heavy wash and it is fine but other times it takes several attempts.
Most recently it took 4 hours to complete a load of 6 bath towels.
We have made sure the tub and unit are level.
Is there a recall?
Certain models need reprogramming?
Just curious before I call in a service call and spend mega money on something that may or may not be fixable.

22 Mike March 2, 2017 at 1:54 am

Our LG Washer and Dryer is between 3 and 4 years old. Since we have owned this washer it has constantly given us “UE” code errors. When you read the manual or their advertising it looks like just a simple issue that you have overloaded the machine. This is not true. This is a constant problem with our washer dealing with a small or large load. It just took me 3 hours to complete a normal wash before I could put clothes in dryer. I have also spent many hours on the internet looking for a solution. No real answers other than keep it on a low spin cycle. 90% of the reviews I see state that they have received little to no support from LG and that they are just trying to get a few more cycles out of it before they can move to another washer from another company. I am just saying this so other consumers looking at this product will be better informed.