The lid lock light is flashing on my top load washer. I have an older Kenmore top loading washing machine. I did some Google searching and found that there could be a few different issues that are causing the lid lock light to flash or blink on the control panel of my washer. I do not know where to start. Can you assist me in fixing my washer by getting the lid light to stop blinking?
Try these quick fix tips before going through all the causes and fixes for lid light flashing:
1 – Unplug the washer for 10 minutes and this may reset the washer and clear the flashing light.
2 – Press and hold the “END OF CYCLE / CYCLE SIGNAL” button(s) for 20 seconds and this should reset the washer and clear the flashing light.
Important Tip: Never change the washing machine settings once the washer has already started any wash cycle, as this can cause the lid lock light to flash. We have seen this happen on Whirlpool, Kitchenaid, Maytag, Amana, and Kenmore Top Loading Washing Machines.
What Are The Reasons A Top Load Washing Machine Lid Lock Light Flashes?
– Lid lock light will flash if lid lock does not move into the locked position.
– Lid lock light will flash if motor cannot be powered on.
– Lid lock light will flash if not closed completely if something is blocking lid.
– Lid lock light can flash if another issue is detected in the washer.
What Can Cause The Lid Light To Flash On My Top Load Washing Machine?
– Lock striker that presses down on the lid switch may be out of alignment.
– A piece of lint or washing machine detergent has built up over time and hinders the locking of the lid.
– The control board sees an open lid switch when it attempts to lock.
– The lid switch is not working either mechanically or electrically and needs to be adjusted or replaced.
– The control board is faulty and is unable to detect if lid lock is locked.
– Actuator motor is faulty or has loose wiring (If washer is VMW = Vertical Modular Washer).
How To Fix The Lid Lock Light Flashing On My Top Load Washer?
– Be sure lid lock and lid striker are clean as lint or detergent buildup can block the switch and cause the flashing light.
– Be sure the lid lock and lid striker are aligned and secure as they can become loose from years of vibration or slamming the washer lid shut.
– Check to make sure the lid lock and lid striker are making contact with each other when the washing machine lid shuts, if not the lid lock light will flash.
– Check the wire harness connections from the lid switch to the main control assembly as it may have become loose or the wire harness may be damaged.
– If all checks out, be sure the lid switch is in working order (mechanically and electrically) replace if necessary.
– Check the Actuator motor to be sure it is not faulty or has loose wiring (If washer is VMW = Vertical Modular Washer).
What If A New Lid Switch Does Not Fix The Flashing Light Problem?
– Try a master reset by unplugging the washer.
– Access the main control board or timer assembly.
– Unplug each connector on the control board or timer assembly one by one and reconnect each one as you go so you do not get mixed up wiring.
– This CAN reset the washer and clear the flashing lid lock light.
– When attempting this, make sure power is off to the washer and use extreme caution.
NOTE: The lid lock flashing reasons, causes, and repair solutions are for most Whirlpool, Kitchenaid, Maytag, Amana, and Kenmore Top Loading Washing Machines.
The videos below will assist you with the Washer Flashing Lid Light Problem…
Top Load Washer Lid Lock Replacement
Why does your washing machine lid lock while in operation? This is a safety feature.
Flashing Lid Lock Light: How to Troubleshoot Errors on Your Washer
How to Read a Vertical Modular Washer (VMW) Error Code Display – Diagnostic Override Test
If you have a newer washing machine that has a digital display:
– The DL error code that shows up on the display means you have a door lock error.
– A door lock error will happen if the washer door cannot be unlocked.
– The washer main control board will try to lock the lid 6 times before the error code shows.
Inspect your washing machine for these problems when you get the DL error…
– Check the door lock assembly to see if it is faulty, loose or damaged.
– Check the door lock and switch assembly for objects that may be blocking it.
– Check the wire harness connections to the door lock and switch assembly and main control board.
– Check the door Lock/Switch Assembly Failure
Need help with a washer lid light flashing? Please leave your questions below and we will be happy to assist you in repairing your washing machine.