LG Front Load Washing Machine Error Code OE – How To Clear

What does OE mean on an LG washer? There may be a few different reasons why the OE error code can display on your washing machine. LG washer getting the OE error code? The OE error code on the LG washing machine display is an indication of a NO DRAIN issue. The 3 issues that may cause this fault code is a bent drain hose, the drain pump filter is blocked, or the drain pump may have foreign objects lodged in it making it unable to drain. All these issues can cause your LG washer to display the error code OE. With all these different reasons, checking all 3 components will clear the error and fix your LG washing machine.

LG Washer Error Code OELG Washer Error Code OE

3 parts you need to check on your LG Front Loading Washing Machine when OE error code appears are:
1 – Drain Pump Filter (Blocked or Clogged)
2 – Drain Hose (Kinked or Bent)
3 – Drain Pump (Objects inside are Blocking it from Draining)

The 3 conditions that will cause the OE error code on your LG Front Load Washer are:
1 – The Drain Pump Filter is Blocked or Filled with debris and needs to be cleaned out.
2 – The Drain Hose is bent and therefore water is unable to drain from the washer.
3 – Foreign Objects in Drain Pump will block the pump and therefore the washer is unable to drain.

To check the drain pump filter:
First remove power to the washer by unplugging it. Locate the filter on the front bottom of your LG washer. Remove the drain pump filter cover. Unhook the drain hose. Take off the small plug from the drain hose. Now drain the water that is still inside the tub. Use a small bowl to catch the water. Next twist the drain pump filter counter clockwise to remove it. Clean the drain pump filter by running it under warm water. Clean out the inside of the drain pump filter housing with a cleaning brush or rag. Put the cap back on the drain hose. Reconnect the hose to the washer. Slide the clean drain pump filter back into the washer. Be sure the filter is put back secure. Put the cover back on the drain pump filter by turning it clockwise. Once the filter is cleaned, re-secured, and free from any blockages, wash a small load to be sure the error code OE has cleared. Video of LG washing machine error code OE drain pump cleanout is below.

LG front load washer drain pump filter locationLG front load washer drain pump filter location

LG Washer – Cleaning the Drain Pump Filter

To check the washer drain hose:
Look at the back of the washer and check that the washer drain hose is not bent or kinked. If the washing machine was pushed back and the drain hose was crimped behind it, the washer drain hose may be bent and draining water cannot flow properly. Make sure the drain hose is straight and has NO blockage. Once the drain hose is straight and free from any blockages, wash a small load to be sure the LG front load washer error code OE has cleared.

Washing machine drain hose locationWashing machine drain hose location

To check the drain pump:
The drain pump is located inside the washer. It can be accessed by removing power to the washer, opening up the panel, and taking the hoses off the drain pump to check for blockages. This procedure should be done if you are completely confident you are able to take the washer apart and can be safe with electrical components. We will put a video below on how to remove a drain pump on an LG washer for you to see step by step how to access the pump. After watching the video you should be able to understand how to safely get to the drain pump and to check to see if it is blocked or clogged and therefore causing your OE error code.

LG front load washer drain pump locationLG front load washer drain pump location

LG Washing Machine – How To Access The Drain Pump

Do you have questions concerning your LG front load washer that is getting the OE error code? Please leave a comment below and we will be happy to assist you.

APPLIANCE REPLACEMENT PARTS CENTER
Appliance Replacement Parts Center Online
APPLIANCE PARTS FOR ALL BRANDS AND TYPES

1 Chicago February 28, 2017 at 4:23 am

Our LG WM2501 washer stopped with an OE error. I did not know what it was, so I looked it up and I decided then to go for it and replace the drain pump, which was making louder than expected grinding noise when I restarted the machine on a Speed Wash/rinse, spin cycle. The trickiest part is the removal of the wire band that holds in place the washer boot. I was able to do it by carefully using a flathead screwdriver. It is even harder to put back. I used a spring expander tool that I had purchased for this purpose. I bought the cheap kind, the tension spring expander, a foot long screw thread with two prongs that stick out and a thumb screw that allows you to spread the two prongs apart. It worked out!

2 Joan Rochford February 25, 2017 at 2:17 am

The drain filter gets clogged and we can’t get down on the floor to drain it and clear it out, how do we bypass the filter?
We really hate this feature and may have to sell the LG washer and dryer if this can’t be fixed.

3 Tim January 29, 2017 at 5:38 pm

I have an LG front load washing with display code OE. I am missing the drainage hose on the front of the washer next to the filter… with that missing hose cause the water leakage I’m experiencing? Also, when I opened the tilting A LOT of water came out.

4 Ignacio Cordova November 27, 2016 at 9:51 pm

I got the OE error and already cleaned the drain pump filter, however I found small nail scissor inside that I can’t get off through.
What would you recommend me to do?
Should I dismount the pump as indicated in the video?
Is there any other way to remove the object blocking the drain pump?

5 TG November 27, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed directions on replacing the drain pump. We tried all the other fixes first, and finally decided to try and replace the pump. $25 later, the new pump is installed and no more error messages! Your site and video saved us hundreds of dollars!

6 Krystle November 18, 2016 at 2:56 pm

My little black drain tube in the front of my washer next to the filter is clogged with what feels like sand. I got it out as much as I can but it still isn’t draining so when I unscrew the filter water comes out there instead of the little black drain tube. How do I unclog that?!

7 Lyn November 16, 2016 at 4:54 am

I have an OE error on my LG front load washer.
I have cleaned the drain filter and checked for block hoses. All seem clear. I know the pump works and the pump hoses are clear because i can get it to drain if using a Rinse and Spin Cycle. I have placed the drain hoses in a nearby sink and it fills the sink very quickly. It seems to drain, but not all the way. What have i missed. Thanks in advance.

DIY Project Help Tips 8 DIY Project Help Tips November 16, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Kyn,
Is it possible the drain hose on the back of the LG washer is kinked, bent, or clogged?
Is the wall drain where the washer drains the water out free of blockages?
If the washing machine drain pump and hoses are free of blockages and work properly as you have tested, the drain hose may be causing the problem.
Have you checking the drain pump internally?
Is it possible there is a loose wire harness and when the washer runs and slightly vibrates, the drain pump or connection on main board cause the issue?
Let us know what you find.

If it drains but not all the way, you may be using too much detergent as the extra sudsing can cause the clothing to retain more water and also make it more difficult for the washer to remove the extra sudsing water.

9 Lyn Yost November 17, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reply.
The hoses are clear and not kinked. In fact, when pump runs, it pushes out water very fast. It just doesn’t seem to want empty the entire drum. I have pulled the washer apart and unhooked every hose from the pump. All is clear. I have run a tub clean as well. This happens whether i use detergent or not. It will even happen on a Rinse and Spin cycle with or without detergent and minimal clothes.
I have not checked the wiring harness specifically, but i didn’t see anything obvious when i had it apart.
I have also checked to ensure i have 120 volts at the outlet. It is good.

10 Raj November 10, 2016 at 1:20 pm

I have issues with my LG front loader washer as well. It is a model I bought in Europe. I shipped it to south America. It is connected on 220V as the machine is for use on 220V and not the 110. So it is new and still I get the error. I cleaned the filter drained any water. What can be the problem then?

DIY Project Help Tips 11 DIY Project Help Tips November 11, 2016 at 12:19 am

Raj,
LG Washer OE error code is a draining error.
Check and clean the FRONT LOWER DEBRIS FILTER.
If you still get the OE error, check that the drain pump and the drain hose are not CLOGGED or BLOCKED.
Remove all hoses connected to the pump and check them for blockage.
When you have the hose between the pump and tub removed, check up inside the tub where the hose was removed and see if anything clogging it in that area.
Clothing stuck between the tubs can also cause the OE error.

12 Raj November 14, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Hi thanks for the advice. But I already tried them. After having a professional have a look at it the problem became clear. There was nothing wrong. The problem rather was that in spite of having the machine connected to 220V the problem was in the amount of Hz! The machine was build for 50Hz and it needed 60Hz rotation to work. So the mechanical replaced the module. And now it is working as it should be.

13 Rick October 25, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Hello, we have an LG Top Load Washer, Model WT1201CV and I believe our pump is faulty. I have removed the old pump and will be ordering a new one. Can you tell me if the installation of the new pump is basically the reverse of the removal process? Just wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of. Thanks much for your help! 🙂

14 Julie October 17, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Washer has OE code. Cleaned the drain hose and drain filter. Still doesn drain even if the power is off. At the spin cycle can’t hear any sound then few minutes later OE code shows up. Do you think I need to replace a drain pump?

DIY Project Help Tips 15 DIY Project Help Tips October 17, 2016 at 11:23 pm

Julie,
If you are getting the OE error code check that the drain pump is getting power on your LG washing machine.
If so, check drain pump to be sure it is operational.
If the pump checks bad, replace the pump.
If it checks good, check all drain lines and hoses for blockages.

16 Carol Allen October 9, 2016 at 9:06 am

Thank you! I cannot thank you enough! I was having a problem with my LG front load washer/dryer combo. You help me figure out the error code OE. I watched your video. I drained the water….then cleaned out the filter. I did not realize that I needed to clean it out once a month. I found earrings, a stylus, disposable gloves, paper, and lint. Thank you for showing me how to do it myself and saving me the time and money I would have had to spend finding someone to do what took me a half hour to do. Now I know!

17 shafruddin shuib September 17, 2016 at 6:54 am

I have IE error code on LG direct drive 14 washing machine. The machine run for about 10 min then the error IE comes out. What is the problem?

DIY Project Help Tips 18 DIY Project Help Tips September 17, 2016 at 7:19 pm

shafruddin shuib,
LG WASHER IE ERROR CODE = WATER INLET ERROR = NO WATER ENTERING WASHER is the definition of the IE or 1E error code on your LG washing machine.
Here is the page describing it in detail = How to fix LG washer with IE error code.

19 Meenal July 13, 2016 at 6:42 am

I have the same problem getting LG WASHER OE error code.
Called up for service but problem is not solved.
He is saying PCB has got moisture on it.
Please help how do I solve this problem.

DIY Project Help Tips 20 DIY Project Help Tips July 13, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Meenal,
We have seen moisture on boards, sometimes when they fully dry out they are operational, other times not.
Probably a 1 in 10 chance.

Try this to attempt to save money….
Remove the PCB board and let is dry in the sun for a day.
If that does not work, replace board.

21 David June 9, 2016 at 11:59 am

I finally found a Service Manual for my model and it shows a ‘streamlined’ guide for drain issue on p25;

Is the drain hose twisted or frozen?
Repair the DRAIN HOSE ASSEMBLY.
Is the impeller of the drain pump clogged?
Remove foreign material.
Is the connector disconnected, disassembled?
Reconnect or repair the connector
Is the coil of the drain pump too high or low? (resistance of the coil is 10-20 Ω)
Replace the DRAIN PUMP ASSEMBLY
When checking voltage between connectors during spin, is the voltage 120 V AC as in the figure?
Replace the MAIN PWB ASSEMBLY.

I will find out tomorrow if new pump solves the problem. 🙂
[my pump motor resistance appeared to be out of range.]

22 David June 10, 2016 at 1:15 pm

After replacing the pump motor, everything works as expected. The shaft seal behind the impeller appears to have failed allowing moisture/water inside the motor.

23 David June 9, 2016 at 2:01 am

If I wait long enough, the OE code will display.

To clarify, the drain will not operate between Wash-Rinse or between Rinse-Spin.

While awaiting the display of OE, I can manually drain the tub down (almost empty) to where the next function will begin (rinse or spin). However, the drain pump doesn’t appear to activate.

The impeller on the drain pump turns freely.

I’m unsure if cause is:
a) pressure switch
b) drain motor
c) drain motor switch/relay
d) control board
e) something else?

It would be helpful to have information on how to test these. I’ve been unable to find on the web site.

DIY Project Help Tips 24 DIY Project Help Tips June 9, 2016 at 2:05 am

David,
An LG Washing Machine OE error code indicates that the washer was unable to drain the water. (As you already know)

The main causes for this error code are: Clogged drain pump filter, Kinked drain hose, Clogged stand pipe

Have you cleaned out the DRAIN PUMP FILTER?

If all is good, you will need to test the components you have listed with a meter to find what part is causing your issue.

25 David June 9, 2016 at 3:49 am

Yes, I checked ALL of the plumbing, filter, hoses, even inspecting the tub to pump piping/hoses, pump to standpipe, et al.
While the OE is the finale of the error condition, the pump motor doesn’t activate to drain at the proper times. It would be helpful to have troubleshooting guidance indicating in which order to test, the type test to perform and the test results which can be expected.
I did find a decision tree for a different model, but it did not give expected test results. e.g. Test with multimeter (what scale, range, UOM [ohms, volts, amps] is expected?).

DIY Project Help Tips 26 DIY Project Help Tips June 9, 2016 at 9:47 pm

David,
You may have a main control board that is on the fritz.
If you know the drain pump works, but does not activate when it is supposed to, then either the board, or a wiring harness is bad, loose, damaged, etc…

27 Wade April 17, 2016 at 3:18 am

My LG front load washer dryer combo will not drain. I have no clogs or bent hoses. It will not spin during this cycle. I have disassembled the unit and checked for I knew to check for including removal of and checking that the drain motor is working properly. I also ran it through a drain/spin cycle when it was disassembled and with the front panel off it spun without issue (no water in the tub). Could this be some type of pressure switch?

DIY Project Help Tips 28 DIY Project Help Tips April 19, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Wade,
Can you give us the model number of your LG front load washer dryer and we can assist from there as it may be a pressure switch or door switch. We need the model number to direct you to which part may be causing the NO DRAIN issue.

29 David June 8, 2016 at 2:35 pm

I have same issue with my WM2487HRMA.
The drain motor works fine in test mode, no clogs, bends, etc.
But it will not drain before spin cycle.
If I manually drain below the pressure switch threshold, I can use ‘drain and spin” to spin clothes.
Is it possible that I ‘activated’ some settings mode and perhaps a ‘factory settings reset’ sequence would clear?

DIY Project Help Tips 30 DIY Project Help Tips June 9, 2016 at 1:37 am

David,
Are you getting the OE error code on your LG washing machine?
Or is the washer malfunctioning without an error code being displayed?
You may have a pressure switch that is faulty, check all wire harnesses to be sure all wiring connections are secure.