New dishwasher does not drain? Remove plug on garbage disposal!… I bought a new dishwasher from Home Depot. The installation company came out and installed it yesterday. After they left I ran a wash cycle and the new dishwasher will not drain out the water. There is water just sitting in the bottom of the dishwasher. Is there something located in the bottom of the dishwasher that needs to be removed? If not then this is a plumbing issue and I have no experience. What can cause a dishwasher to not drain?
Dishwasher Does Not Drain Out Water
Remove Plug On Garbage Disposal
The most common reason a new dishwasher will not drain: There is a plastic knockout plug located in the disposal drain line that needs to be removed.
The garbage disposal comes with a line (plastic fitting) to attach the drain hose from the dishwasher. This disposal fitting comes plugged by default so when it is used without a dishwasher, it does not leak. Before you attach the drain hose to the disposal, you MUST remove the knockout plug on the disposal. (See image below)
Dishwasher no drain?
Remove knockout plug on disposal!
How to remove garbage disposal knockout plug: (If garbage disposal is installed)
1. Remove power to the dishwasher and garbage disposal by flipping the circuit breakers.
2. Find the plastic fitting on the disposal where the drain hose will connect to from the dishwasher.
3. If the dishwasher drain hose is connected to the disposal, remove the hose it from the fitting.
4. Locate the small plug in the plastic fitting.
5. Remove the plastic plug from the garbage disposal with a pair of needle nose pliers by pulling it out or by using a flat screwdriver and “knocking” it out.
6. Dispose of the plastic knockout plug.
7. Secure the dishwasher drain hose to the fitting.
8. Test for leakage by running the dishwasher and checking for water leaks.
Note: All garbage disposals will vary and each step may vary by brand and type.
If the knockout plug fell into the garbage disposal, you can use a long needle nose pliers and pull it out. If the disposal is not installed, you can turn the disposal upside down while shaking it to get the knockout plug to fall out.
How to Remove the Garbage Disposal Knockout Plug
Need more assistance with your dishwasher, water problems, or draining issues?
How To Fix A Dishwasher That Is Not Draining How To Fix A Dishwasher That Is Not Draining
Dishwasher Won’t Drain – What To Check Dishwasher Won’t Drain – What To Check – How To Fix
Need help with your garbage disposal or dishwasher not draining? Please leave us an explanation of your issue below and we will get back to you with the proper information.