A GE microwave oven is a common home appliance that cooks food and more. If the microwave oven does not function as it should, it might be necessary to reset it. The touchpad may not be working, and the display might show strange digits or letters. The following procedures will teach you how to reset a GE microwave oven.
Reset GE Microwave With Digital Touchpad
If your GE microwave oven has a digital touchpad, you can reset the microwave by pressing and holding the “COOK TIME” and “START” buttons for 5 seconds OR press and hold just the “START” button for 5 seconds. Release the button and wait for the oven to start flashing then enter the cooking time and test the microwave to see if it is working. Once the microwave is reset set the clock to the current time. Press the “CLOCK” button and enter the time. Press the “START” button to start the clock’s time.
Microwave Oven Touchpad Controls
Reset GE Microwave Without Digital Touchpad
If your microwave oven has no digital touchpad you will have to remove the microwave from power. Unplug the GE microwave from the wall outlet and wait 5 minutes. This will reset any problems with the microwave’s memory. Reconnect the GE microwave power plug to the wall power supply. Test the microwave to be sure it works.
Reset A Built In GE Microwave
If you have a “built-in” or “over the range” microwave, it may be difficult to reach the power plug. If the power plug cannot be reached, try resetting the main breaker in your home’s electrical breaker box. Find the correct breaker that allows power to the kitchen area. Flip the breaker OFF for a few minutes then turn the breaker back to the ON position. This should reset the microwave to its original condition.
GE Microwave Is Plugged Into GFCI Outlet
If the outlet the microwave is plugged into is a GFCI and it has reset, the microwave will not have power. To fix this, press the small reset button on the wall outlet that the microwave is plugged into.
More Methods To Reset A GE Microwave
If the GE microwave has an older digital touchpad, you can also try these other methods to reset your microwave:
- Press and hold the “CLEAR/OFF” or “OFF/CLEAR” button for 5 seconds.
- Press and hold the “START” button for 5 seconds.
If the microwave has an analog control, you can try these other methods to reset your microwave:
- Unplug the power cord from the outlet and plug it back in.
- Flip the main breaker in your home’s breaker box.
- Replace the fuse in the power cord plug with a new one of the same amperage.
- Check the GFCI outlet the micro is plugged into.
On some other GE microwaves the reset procedure may be different:
- Press and hold the “START” button for 5 seconds. Release the button and wait for the oven to start flashing. Enter the time you would like the oven to cook using the number pad. Press the “START” button to begin cooking.
- Reset the microwave by pressing the “OFF/CLEAR” button and selecting “RESET.” This is a mild reset that gets the microwave out of any program that may have been inadvertently pressed.
- Child Locked may be enabled. To disable the “CONTROL LOCKED” child lock, press and hold the “OFF/CLEAR” button for 5 seconds.
- If the “OFF/CLEAR” button is pushed by accident it may have reset the cooking procedure. Select the program or cook time you want again and press “START”.
Once you’ve tried all of these methods, your GE microwave should be reset and working properly.
If your microwave still has not reset or has a fault, check this page for how to fix a microwave.
Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Guide
If the problem persists, consult your owner’s manual (see below) or contact a qualified appliance repair specialist.
Find the GE microwave oven manual here
If you still need help with resetting a GE microwave, please leave your question below and please include your GE model number and we will assist.
6 thoughts on “How To Reset a GE Microwave Oven?”
Is the issue with your GE JVM3160RF2SS microwave simply that the panel does not light up?
Does the light come on inside the microwave when you open the door?
That microwave model has a fuse in it.
Have you checked the fuse?
Here is a link to the parts for your GE microwave if you find a faulty microswitch or a blown fuse.
If you look at the link we sent, in the parts list, part number 119 is the fuse.
I have the GE JVM3160RF2SS Model and have tried all the above without control panel coming on.
Electricity is on.
Unit is 2015 model.
Try unplugging the GE microwave model #JES16675M1SS first. Unplug it for about 5 minutes and plug it back in. This can help reset the Control Board depending on what type of issue you are having. If this does not work there may be other resets to try. However, if you give us a more detailed description of what your microwave is doing we can help you further.
Please help me to reset my GE microwave model #JES16675M1SS.
Have you tried unplugging the microwave for at least 10 minutes. Then plug it back in and if the microwave is still not working let us know exactly what is happening and we can assist you further.
Don’t know how to reset Microwave