My split AC is leaking water inside. What causes a split system air conditioner to leak? How do you fix a leaking AC? One of the most common reasons a split aircon leaks water is because of a blocked drainage pipe. This drain pipe lets the condensation from the AC unit drip down and away from the unit. When this drain pipe gets clogged, the water will drip from the bottom of the AC unit.
Is water dripping from your indoor split AC wall unit? The AC drainage pipe can become clogged from dirt or dust. If your AC just started leaking water, most likely the drain pipe is clogged. The best solution is to clean the AC and the complete drainage system.
Need help cleaning out your split system AC wall unit? How to clean indoor split ac unit Use Caution When Performing Maintenance On An AC Unit!
NOTE: This air conditioning water leak repair is assuming the drain pipe is clogged and causing the leak…
How To Fix Split AC Water Leak – STEP BY STEP
Tools Needed To Fix Water Leak On AC:
- Screwdriver (to remove panel)
- Empty bucket (to collect water)
- Shop-Vac wand vacuum (to remove excess water and remove dirt/dust)
How To Fix Your Leaking AC – Step By Step:
- Shut off power switch to AC unit
- Unplug AC unit from power
- Open the main front panel
- Remove the air filters (clean the air filters at this time)
- Remove the screws on the front panel (usually 3 or 4 screws)
- Pull off the large plastic cover (see videos below for details)
- Depress plastic clips at the bottom to access the drain pipe
- You will see the drainage pipe at the bottom of unit
- Use a bucket to collect water
- Remove any fittings or tape holding the drain pipe to the unit
- Disconnect the drain pipe from the AC unit
- Let the pipe drain the water into a bucket
- If you have a shop vac vacuum, use it to remove water from of pipe
- Reattach the drain pipe with the fitting or tape
- Reinstall the main front panel
- Reattach the air filters (be sure the filters are clean)
- Turn the unit on, let it run, and test for water leaks
After the drain pipe has been cleaned, you can check the drainage to test the system for leaks. To perform this test see the image below…
What else can cause an AC water leak? Dust that has accumulated in the AC and in the condensate tray can block the flow of water to the drainage system therefore causing water to leak out.
Is the split AC still leaking water? You may have other issues besides a drain pipe leakage problem. Other common issues are uncapped hoses, excess dirt in system, clogged or a burnt drain pump, tubing within the AC are the wrong size, kinked hoses, etc.
Fix Leaking Split System Air Conditioner
How to Fix a Leaking Aircon Unit – DIY
MORE AIR CONDITIONER DIY HELP: Window Air Conditioner Leaking Water Into House – Why Is My Central Air Conditioner Leaking Water – How To Divert Water Dripping Outside From Air Conditioner – AC Not Blowing Cold Air – 10 Tips To Keep Your Mini Split Air Conditioner A/C Running Cool – AC Set To ON or AUTO What Is Best? – Turn AC OFF To Save Money?
If your AC is still leaking water after performing the suggested steps? Please let us know your AC model number using the form below and we can assist with troubleshooting your issue.