TV has vertical colored lines on the screen. This is a common issue with many TVs. Vertical colored lines usually show on a TV screen when the T-Con board is not working properly. Many times this can simply be caused from wiring that is not securely fastened. Other times the T-Con Board itself may be faulty and need to be replaced.
A TV screen that shows vertical colors may be caused from a loose cable wiring, loose board, a control board “grounding” issue, a damaged screen, or a faulty T-Con board. A loose wire or bad T-Con board is explained below.
See here for info on how to diagnose and fix a cracked TV screen.
What causes vertical colored lines on a TV screen?
When a TV is showing vertical colored lines, a loose wire cable in the TV might be the cause. If you knock on the back of the TV, the vertical colored lines MAY disappear temporarily. This is a sign that a cable is loose or the T-Con board is faulty.
What to do when your TV has colored vertical lines showing?
If you experience a TV showing colored vertical lines, try gently tapping in different areas on the back of the TV, you may see the vertical colored lines go away completely or they might decrease in intensity. If so, you may simply have a loose wiring cable. This is not a permanent solution, but may prevent the vertical colored lines from showing temporarily. To fix this permanently, you need to troubleshoot the issue and find out which wiring harness may be loose, faulty or damaged.
More TV Issues: TV Screen Is Black – Powers ON But No Picture
What can be done to fix vertical colored lines on a TV?
If you suspect a loose cable within your TV, you will need to open up the TV and secure the cable and check the T-Con board. To do this safely and without damaging your TV, please see the video below for how to open a tv panel…
How To Remove Back Panel On TV?
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE – Before disassembling your TV, turn it off, unplug the TV, and wait a few hours so the power the TV holds inside discharges to avoid SHOCK.
More TV Issues: TV Says NO SIGNAL – What To Check – How To Fix
What is causing my TV to show vertical lines in color?
If you find no loose wiring cables in your TV, then the T-Con board is most likely at fault. Here is how to remove and replace your Television T-Con board…
How do I replace the T-Con board in my TV? (Timing Control Board)
1. Write down the brand of the television
2. Write down the model number of the television
3. Write down the serial number of the television
4. Unscrew the back cover of the TV
5. Locate the screws on back or side of tv panel (usually 8 to 10 screws)
6. Locate the T-Con board – Board may be hidden under cover (T-Con usually located at the top middle position of the TV)
7. The T-Con board is connected to the main board (LVDS Cable) and the LCD panel (flat ribbon cables)
8. Unplug the cables and ribbon cables that connect to the T-Con board
(Use caution when removing cables as they are delicate and can be damaged easily – Do not use tools to pry cable connections)
9. Remove the screws or nuts from the T-Con board to remove it from the TV
10. Find the barcode located on the T-Con board
11. The first long alphanumeric code is the part number for the T-Con board
12. Write down the part number of the T-Con board
13. Go to Google and type in “T-Con board for _____ TV, Model Number ___________”
(Or go to Amazon to get faster shipping (Yes, Amazon sells TV parts)
14. Be sure the T-Con board part number from your TV matches up with the one you find online
15. Purchase the T-Con board for your television
T-Con Boards for all Televisions – TIMING CONTROL BOARDS
How to install a T-Con board in a TV? (Timing Control Board)
1. Put the new T-Con board into place where it was connected before
2. Secure it using the screws or nuts provided or from the old T-Con screws or nuts
3. Attach the T-Con board cables (LVDS and Ribbon Cables)
(Use caution when attaching cables as they are delicate and can be damaged easily – Do not use tools to pry cable connections)
4. Attach the cover over the T-Con Board – If applicable
5. Put the rear panel of the TV back into place
6. Secure it using the screws
7. Turn on the TV and the colored vertical lines are gone – TV Fixed
More TV Issues: TV Power Light Comes On – But No Picture Or Sound
NOTE: Be sure you do some troubleshooting before you order any new parts. This article is meant for the most common issues concerning vertical colored lines on a TV screen. If you are having similar issues, you may have to troubleshoot a bit more to find the true issue.
All the methods to troubleshoot why your LED LCD TV has vertical colored lines applies to all brands of TVs – The T-Con board functions the same in all Televisions and all the above info can be used on any and all TVs with a malfunctioning T-Con Board.
Bad T-Con board? IS your TV still under warranty? Check here by using these TV brand links for warranty claims listed by popularity: Samsung, Vizio, LG, Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Insignia, Toshiba, JVC, Philips, Magnavox, Sanyo, and Emerson.
Having issues with your TV showing vertical colored lines? We can help! Please describe the issue below and include the model number of your television.